Too many one-nighters - the way forward?

@Louise

Can’t you show your cleaning lady how to do the beds properly by a demonstration on one bed? I did that (several times) with my cleaning gal and finally gave her an “A” when she accomplished it exactly. She was happy…I was happy.

1 Like

It’s hard to explain. She started doing my cleaning before Airbnb, each time, she’d put the dirty paper towels in the can/bottle bin which is next to the right bin. There are other things that to me indicate certain limits of what t can expect. She’s seen how I set up the rooms. Last week I was upstairs when she left. As I was going out to work, I noticed the door to the unit was open, I went to close it, then noticed many lights on and the patio door open, cleaning supplies not put away.
I live in a remote, rural area and there Is a dearth of reliable people to hire. I had a lady helping me with the garden. As I can’t bend neck. Lift etc. She’s not shown up for three weeks.

1 Like

I understand. There are some who are not observant or detail-oriented and if they are not trainable to boot…it’s a futile exercise. It seems it took me forever to train my housecleaner to pay attention to the details.

I would point out how one sofa cushion was sitting about an inch higher or extended out further than the other, how the bed lamps shades needed to be squared and aligned, how the décor pillows needed to be propped on the bed like soldiers and placed in the proper color sequence, how the items in the gift basket should be arranged, to pre-corner all the rolls of toilet paper, etc.

There were a million things I pointed out to her and she finally absorbed them so everything is second nature to her now. I’m sure she’s rolled her eyes at me a million times in the duration but I do give her all the credit for 7-1/2 yrs. of solid 5-star reviews.

Bottom line is I guess it’s imperative to have a cleaner who is trainable so I feel for you.

2 Likes

As my options are limited, I’m very grateful I have her. She’s relablie, works hard and is trustworthy. I’m sure she would have trouble finding other work. I’m the sort that would recheck no matter how well someone does this job as it’s my home ad I’m the host.
There are people who have multiple listings who do all their own cleaning. I think that’s false economy. Hiring someone to do cleaning or snow removal is deductible from the income, it give someone paid work - the trickle down effect, and the employer can use that time and energy to innovate, create other income or enjoy the fruits of your labour.
I have colleagues who clear their own snow, we get lots. I hire someone, as I’m not willing to invest in, maintain and push a snowblower. I’m better at being a nurse and a well rested nurse does a better job.

1 Like

This tip will likely NOT apply to most people here, but there is something I’ve started doing that might also help you both and hopefully a few others.

When we do a change-over I’ve started a system that really seems to work to keep the wrinkles out and stress about getting the sheets on the bed instantly to avoid wrinkles. Here are the steps:

1. I wash one or two sets of sheets - then put only ONE of the bottom sheets in the dryer on it’s own for about 15 minutes. (And start the second load of washing.)
  2. After 15 minutes, take it out 3/4 dry - most wrinkles are gone and dries quickly when it’s the only thing in the dryer. Put it on the bed while the second bottom sheet goes into the dryer for 15 minutes.
  3. Take it out and put it on the bed while the top sheet from bed #1 goes in the dryer for 15 minutes. Fifteen minutes later, out comes the top sheet 3/4 dry and I put it on top of the now-dry bottom sheet. Do the same for the last top sheet.

The nice thing is, when it goes on slightly damp any wrinkles are smoothed away by your hands as you make the bed - EVEN those nasty wrinkles at the top edge of the Top sheet… and I use 500 TC 100% cotton sheets.

Everything is dry within 20 minutes and then the rest of the bedding goes on.

We do have 2 sets of sheets for each of many beds that we use for quick changeovers. But since the laundry has to be done either way, when I’m able to wash and put it right on the bed I don’t have to fold everything so it saves time in the long run.

1 Like

Many years ago, when my younger daughter was about 6, she opened the closet door in the laundry room and the ironing board fell out. “What’s that, Mommy?”

9 Likes

Hi Louise
I have my limits too, and I am so grateful for my twice a month helpers, who give me the luxury of a break on the constant upkeep.

We have discovered ‘Cloud’ sheets which are like flannette but on steriods, kind of like a velvet. Really yummy and warm, they dry really quickly, and require NO ironing at all.

Guests love them… and of course we have a set for ourselves :smile:

1 Like

I agree 100% about the ironed bedding!
I couldn’t and wouldn’t put my bedding on a guests bed without ironing it.
I would hate to stay somewhere that had wrinkled bedding on.
I would wonder if it had been washed in between stays!
It’s a bit more work but I iron whilst watching tv or listening to music.

Sounds dreamy! Where would one buy these ‘cloud’ sheets?

I actually came across the velvet sheets as an ABnB guest in NZ. Over there they are called Polar Fleece sheets.

‘Cloud’ is just a brand name, I understand the more generic name is Ultra-fine Brushed Micro Fibre. Here in Oz, we found them at Adairs, but a very quick google search brings up many online options at what looks like heavy discounts.

… and they are fantastic!

1 Like

When I first used Polar Fleece I loved them (and so did my guests) but I found they started pilling after a relatively short amount of time. Has anyone else found this, or discovered a way to stop it happening?

I’m from the UK and never iron bed linen … but the Ironing service does the sheets and duvets and the husband irons the pillowcases …

Best of both worldfs!

1 Like

We’ve had no pilling to date, but not had them long, perhaps only half a dozen washes. I recall the polar fleece are longer fibers than the cloud, so I would guess more prone to pilling.

Does the pilling result in little bald patches, or just little baubles??

The pilling became baubles. Also hairs can get trapped in the microfibres and are difficult to get out. It’s a pity because they are so warm and soft.

If you want to transition away from the one night stays, then I’d suggest you set one 2 or 3 days minimum some month away, eg from the 3 month mark onwards. That leaves the calendar open for long bookings then, allowing you to experiment, as you continue getting current guests!
I don’t know if you can do this on the website anymore but the app allows you to set this up!

I don’t like sheets which aren’t 100% cotton, and although I love ironed sheets in hotels, wouldn’t dream of ironing them for myself or my guests – life is too short (and it is in my case, as I’m over 70).
So instead of ironing I bought Muji sheets, both the towelling kind and the ‘you don’t have to iron’ kind. Ruinously expensive, but they look and feel great – without ironing. Organic cotton, too, which looks good in the listing.

1 Like

The basic meaning of ironing is the difference between how things seem to be and the reality.

:100::grin::rofl:

This is a simple supply and demand issue.

Keep in mind that these people are using your place as an alternative to local hotels.

All you need to do is increase your rates. You may get lucky and make just as much money but with less work, which should make you happy. Alternately figure out what it would take to pay for a housekeeper for an hour or two per day and add that much to the rent, assuming you could find someone local to come over for an hour to do the room.

If ironed bedding is a local requirement you have to go with it.

1 Like

When I started out it was a 1 day minimum and NO cleaning fee. 4 years later its a 3 day minimum and a 55 cleaning and I still have plenty of business. Get rid of the 1 day minimum! You will run yourself ragged.Also, when they book Sat only, you have wrecked your weekend, 3 day weekend stays are easy to sell.I am sold out year round on a minimum 3 day stay on weekends.

1 Like