Too many one-nighters - the way forward?

Stop ironing sheets and towels! Consider getting a housekeeper. My housekeeper loves one-night stays. I charge the same cleaning fee for a one night stay as I do for to weeks. Sounds like because of your location, much or your business is one nighters, so if I were you, I’d adapt.

I grew up in the U.K. Skinhead culture of the 60’s was hijacked by right wing National Front scumbags in the 80’s and the media has demonised the subculture ever since. I ride vintage scooters with Mexican, Asian and African American skins in L.A. It’s alive and well.

1 Like

Yes, Pigneguy, you’re absolutely 100% correct - the whole movement is now tarnished by the association with the NF which was a much later thing. I never saw skins in Union Jack t-shirts and giving Nazi salutes in the 60’s.

I have that problem too. Now if you come in on the weekend it’s a minimum of two days. During the week if you want to stay only one night that’s fine but you’re going to pay a $55 cleaning fee! Meaning if a couple wanted to stay only one night they would pay $150! And that’s for a 500 square-foot room. I’m fine with that since I’m in and out in one hour on cleaning now. That has cut down the number of single nights days, I still get them and I’m totally fine with it making that $55 cleaning fee !

2 Likes

Thanks ! Very useful. I was wondering same, how to switch to “less then” two nights min for a period of time. I too dislike one-nighters for reasons above and more. Our house is in a super convenient location, but gets 5 stars because it’s beautiful and how we host, and that cannot be appreciated arriving late and leaving early in the morning. it’s the wrong fit.

3 Likes

Just call airbnb and make them do it, or have them walk you through it.

We are 67 and 70, fit and active, though as I do all the cleaning and prepping, I am tired and sore, just like you. We get a lot of 1 night stays, and everyone says they should have booked for 2 nights, as this is an architecturally outstanding house in a drop dead scenic place , a destination to rest & rejuvenate. It is not a “stop over late arrival early leaving” type of place, on the way to somewhere else. We do not do instant book, as we are heavily booked enough without and it is important to me to do a search on every guest, communicate with them as well, around their booking. On holidays have a 2 - 3 night minimum, depending on the length of the holiday and when is the weekend. I take rest times where I block the place between guests. At some point I’ll put a 2 night minimum and I will go for quality over quantity. Our guest suite is over 500 sq ft, with a full bath and I tear it down for deep cleaning every change. It takes me 3 full hours to clean and prep, no matter how short or how tidy the guests. Every dish needs to be washed, of course, and every crack and corner cleaned, as our reputation is for spotless cleanliness, so our guests feel that they are not taking a chance on their health.

I have 2 dozen sets of sheets and more than that of towels. I still do tons of laundry, but I can grab clean ones off the shelf for a quick turnover.

2 Likes

If you are getting so heavily booked @Kitty_Norris why not increase your prices and use that money to pay for someone to clean/do your ironing at least some of the team Best of luck.

2 Likes

We live a half hour from the highway, on a mountaintop. There is no way to get workers out here, especially on a deadline. I am already charging way more than anyone in the area, and deliver the value for what I charge.

I also have a destination rental, and have always done 2 night minimums. I can sleep up to 7, including 2 airbeds, so I invested in quality sheets and towels, and have enough to do a turn without laundry. I too, am tired and sore, and recently started having someone come clean every other stay or so. I charge a cleaning fee equal to what I pay out. It sounds like you have a really desireable unit! My guests most often eat out, as this is a foodie town, so I usually just empty the dishwasher they have run, and do a quick appliance and floor clean. But you are right about cleaning - that is the number one thing people notice when they check in!

My housecleaners do dusting and floors of the guest suite twice a month, when they come to do the rest of the house where we live. They also double check my work, as I do theirs. I am very glad and lucky to have them, as we are at least a half hour from town. We do not have a dishwasher, and finally after 25 years here we have a gas dryer. We are making our own electricity up here, off grid. The guests have a fridge, microwave, dishes, utensils, coffee and tea setups. If they want to share our full kitchen we are happy for that to happen, and it is always pleasant. I do advise guests that our towns both north and south have a great food scene, and lots of great grocers, so they should eat on the way, bring take out or plan to cook here. We accommodate 4 adults.

1 Like

With that info I’d change to two night minimum. Oh, also, keep your Sunday rate the same as weekend. I’ve had people booking sat, sun, instead of fri, sat to save money, but it leave me with a premium day unbookable .

Where are you located, Louise, that you have Sundays as a premium night to book? Thanks for your vote. I have had every night priced the same for all these years. The reason Saturday nights are so popular is that Friday night people get off from work and head out of town. This causes great traffic jams, starting about 3 pm, which I would not wish on anyone. Monday morning everyone goes back to work. Weeknights are populated by people taking a break or just traveling. We are delighted to give so many great folks a break here, and go back refreshed.

I’m in cottage country. I’ve raised the Sunday rate to be midway between weekdays and weekends. I only have 8-12 weeks of high demand.

Ah, makes sense, Louise!~

Sounds like you are living the dream! Congrats.

I’m 62, partially disabled due to complications post head injury. I have lady who does the basic cleaning, my brother does the lawn, outdoor cleanup, I do the laundry and the final walk thru. My cleaning lady is pleasant and works hard, but she’s a bit clueless. I had a lot of pain after doing too much last week, so I asked her to make the beds. She put the opening end of the duvet at the top of the bed, crooked, pillows just thrown any which way. It was great that I didn’t have to make the beds. But I can’t delegate any more to her.

2 Likes

@Louise. For the first time, I have someone who can help with turnovers. I have only used “them”/“her” once, verbiage wasn’t enough. I made a little booklet with photos. These photos are anal. What position should the blinds be. Which direction should the shower curtain be? How should the pillows be arranged? Etc. Etc. And it works! If you have the tech setup, it is a good way to teach people with visuals.

3 Likes

Hi K9KarmaCasa
Yes - it is incredible, and it is different every day. And it is even better when shared!

1 Like