Toiletries options for guests

Yeah they’re embarrasing but I love em to death. Also they were born during the depression – never turn down anything free.

4 Likes

I very much agree. We had a wedding out of town last month and we decided to rent an Air 20 minutes away instead of booking two motel rooms (for our family of 6) with everyone else. Everyone kept saying “just book 1 room, the hotel doesn’t need to know”. Um, I would be PO’d if someone did that to me, why would I do it to a hotel?

1 Like

It actually is theft.
Unless there is a printing “gift” on them, you are legally not allowed to take them out of the hotel.

In real life no hotel will ever file a charge against you, but in theory they could do so.

How is it a theft? If it was reusable like hangers or bathrobes then it would be a theft. But half used containers of toiletries will be just thrown away anyway. And i thought it included in a price of the room, so i basically buy them with the room

1 Like

Half-used bottles = not theft. I was referring to people that take all the bottles every day and put them in their luggage in order to take a lot home with them.

There is no difference between half used bottles or not used bottles. Its really my choice to use them or not.
Hotels counts it as an expense and it is in counted in room price with the idea that it will be used.
It’s the same thing to stay that taking apples with you from a fruit plate that comes complimentary with room is theft too. It is left for me to eat, and If i don’t it eat now I will eat it later . I paid for that fruit platter when I paid for the room .
When I give toiletries for my guests if it’s small size I don’t expect them to not take it with them
And I don’t expect them to not use them and give it to next guest. I don’t care what they do with it, it’s theirs .

1 Like

Apples are perishable and are most likely thrown out if you do not eat them. Bottles of shampoo are not perishable and are left for other guests if they are not opened.

1 Like

I dont know how it matters if its perishable or not. The main point is that its included in room cost and we are entitled to use it. If we choose not to use it but take it with us the outcome is exactly the same. The only difference is that instead of our bodies we put it in our luggage. In airplanes they give us disposable slippers and eye covers an other little things for us to use during flight. All these things are calculated into cost. So, if we take it with us without using its also can be called theft?

1 Like

I think at the end of your stay taking the unused bottles is acceptable. But if you were staying several days and kept putting the bottles in your bag daily and having them keep putting new ones out? Yeah, that’s not cool.

1 Like

I prefer to keep the first aid kit in the kitchen (our rental is a separate apartment) because that’s the place where most burns and cuts are likely to happen.

Different if you are renting out rooms in your home though.

Why is it not cool? I sincerely don’t understand .
I use the whole bottle of shampoo in one wash because I have very long hair . What if I was the person who washes her hair every day. My point is that all of these daily shampoos are calculated in the price of the room. You are paying for it . And to leave it is to save hotel extra money for no reason

2 Likes

What are you talking about? Do you even read anything or you just make up things as you go??
I don’t even know how to answer you as nothing you said made any sense . Next time pay attention so we can have a sensible conversation

1 Like

If you’re using it daily then use it. But if you’re just taking it to bring home it’s more of an ethics issue. I have no problem when guests eat the snacks I provide. But if they stayed 1 night and cleared me out I’d be pissed. It’s an understood “use it while you’re here”. Yes, it’s factored into the cost of the room, so take the one set of bottles home if you’ve got a use for it. But the stingy, take everything you can get mentality drives prices up for everyone.

1 Like

Ethics issues?For taking something that you paid for? You know who is taking those little bottles that you did not use? Hotel workers

2 Likes

I happen to agree. Those mini-soaps, lotion, shampoo, sewing kit, shower cap, disposable toothbrush/razor, coffee/tea packets, popcorn, scratch pad and logo pen, etc., are consumable amenities which are provided to guests in hotels/motels for their use. Guests are welcomed to use them or “keep” them. (I’ve been told that a number of times.) “Take an apple or banana or cookies for the road? Shuurr, help yourself.” There are no requirements or admonitions attached.

About four years ago, I stayed in 21 hotels/motels during the summer and had no qualms taking what I needed for future use. I also left behind the other items I had not used and had no use for. Hotels are entities that deal with the masses and have a different business model from private rentals. I don’t take extras of any item that the host provides for guest use. That would be crossing the line for me.

Everyone has their own moral compass and draws their own lines about hotel consumable amenities. It’s not worth getting in a snit over it.

3 Likes

I dont even understand what morals are we talking about here? And who got this idea that taking tiny toiletries that are provided for us and included in rooms prices is theft. This is so silly, really. Sarah says, some guests clean her out with snacks. Of course if you put them all out for guests, they think its theirs. I had this with 2 belgian guys when my husband told them help themselves with our fridge, they just ate all day without stopping.
Thats a very silly thing to do just put it all you have for guests use. Of course they will take it for the road. Just put out what you think is included in room price and thats all.
I dont provide any snacks for my guests, but from now and then i have bananas from my tree, or i buy lots of apples, or i buy some cookies that we dont really eat but i see them on sale and get them for guests. I put all of it in a middle of kitchen island and i expect guests to take all of it. Thats why i put it there.

Now i have a guest who literally eats everything he sees in a house. I had a conversation with him to stop doing without asking. But now he asks… 5 times a day, if he can have this or that.:joy::joy:

1 Like

I’ll bet it’s that 18-yr. old growing boy who just loves living there!

(By moral compass, I mean someone’s idea of what’s right and wrong…not in any way a sexual connotation.)

yes, i got that part about morals:joy::joy:
Yes thats the 18 year old.

@Yana - it seems like you are inconsistent about whether it’s okay to take everything or not. As a consumer, you think it’s OK to “help yourself to whatever you want”. But as an owner, you don’t think it’s OK for your guests to do so.

And I disagree about the hotels being a completely different business model. You are renting a room out, they are renting a room out. You are trying to cover at least your incremental costs and hopefully a little more, they are trying to cover their costs, too. If guests take all the hotel toiletries every day, their costs go up, or their rates go up, or they put up signs asking guests to only use what they need, or they put the toiletries behind the desk and only supply them on request. Your guests eat all your food - you either raise your rates, ask the guest not to eat it all, or put the food away where they can’t get it. So how are you different from a hotel in this aspect?

I dont even know how to start answering your question, because you did not pay attention to anything i said, or just did not understand.

Ok, but i will try :I am very consistent in everything i said. First of all with hotel toiletries i am not helping myself with whatever i want, i am only helping myself with whatever i am given for me to use. Every day: 1 sample of shampoo, 1 conditioner, one small individual soap. Sometimes i use all of it, sometimes i dont, but its mine as far as hotel concerns, they dont expect me NOT to use it, they include it in a cost of the room. I never in any hotel saw a sign to use toiletries only what we need, never! And i stayed in hundreds, if not thousands of hotel. Only in one hotel in Budapest they kept toiletries at the front desk and when i asked them they did not have any left, and that a 4* hotel, and when i complained to the owner she was very mad at her employees and told me that they are stealing it form her guests.

Airbnb and hotel are 2 very different businesses, very different. You are comparing apples with oranges. What does me not letting guests eat all my food having to do with toiletries? I will put out only what i want my guests to have. I will not put out more than i dont want them to have. But if i do then i wont be complaining how they ate it all or used it all.

If the hotel management thinks that toiletries are to expensive for them to have than they dont provide them. I stayed in plenty of hotels where only soap was available. In good business everything is planned ahead of time, everything is calculated and nothing left out for guests use … hoping… that they wont use much. This is just silly, naive and not business like anyway you look at it.

1 Like