To clean or not to clean

We cannot rate every one negative based on the performance of one or two.
I am sorry to say this, but you could have searched about them in detail- maybe online or with your acquaintances. Before hiring a professional, do a thorough check on their background. Since you said it was an on online cleaning service, things would have been easier. Usually, such services tend to keep a substitute for backup in case of emergencies like this. But this was something really disappointing as they didn’t even care to inform their inconvenience. Last year, my mom had a broken bone after slipping in the bathroom. She was suffering from some ageing issues back then, this stood as a bump on her regular cleaning routine. Soon after the incident, we hired a local regular cleaning service in Oakville. The package was customizable and we choose a team of two at times depending on the requirements. Am quite sure, you can find a better service in your locality, If you spend time on what I just mentioned above.

Ah, Robert, if only we were in Oakville (Canada?) rather than in Malaga, Spain where the words “customer” and “service” don’t really go together in the same sentence … and we might have more than one cleaning service in our entire region to choose from! Most people employ a daily (if they are middle class) or weekly cleaning person, still quaintly referred to as “maids” (cleaning is not seen as a profession here and the idea of looking up someone’s background on the internet is, quite frankly absurd) but as we can’t offer a regular day, this doesn’t work for us.

I had, in fact, used this service occasionally last year and it wasn’t bad - it had some good reviews, and in fact the few times I used it it was fine. But like many Spanish companies, I’m afraid to say, it’s only when things go wrong that things REALLY go wrong. They have no idea how to apologise to customers and make things right. A company in the UK (or in the US and Canada, I’m sure) would have bent over backwards to apologise for the cleaner not turning up, would have tried to find a substitute and at the very least would have offered me a free cleaning session next time I booked.

So, thank you for your concern and advice (and indeed, stung by your comments I have in fact located another service which purports to function in my area, so I’ll give them a try) but it’s also important to understand that what works in one part of the world ain’t necessarily so elsewhere …

3 Likes

My sort of place - I’m booking there for my next holiday!

1 Like

I think this is a genius idea … don’t think Spanish students would know how to clean as Mama and the maid do it for them till they leave home in their thirties, but we have lots of exchange students here who would probably like to earn a bit extra.

A cleaning fee is one of the easiest ways to raise your nightly price…just saying.

I do most of my cleaning myself. About 3 times a year,I get professionals to do a deep clean which costs me $150. I charge a $75 cleaning fee.
So most of the timeI pay myself $36/hour to clean, including the laundry which the cleaners dont do.