Those with two rooms on one listing

I’m about to start listing 2 more rooms in our house, which have up until now been occupied by long term tenants. The rooms are upstairs in their own separate area with bathroom and separate living space and I would like to offer the whole space as one listing for one group at a time. I’m not renting each room to different groups.
I just wanted to get a bit of a discussion going with hosts who have a similar set-up, I know there are a few on here!

Here are some of the questions I have:

• I’m planning to have a rate based on two people, additional charges for extra people up to 4. Does this sound like the best way to approach pricing?

• each room has a queen bed. Would you just make up both beds for every booking, even if you know your guests are a couple? this is what I’m thinking I’ll do.

• there’s no kitchen in their space and we won’t be allowing them access to ours. We will be providing tea, coffee and a kettle as we do with our current guest room. There is room for a fridge - do you think this is worth providing?

• breakfast - we don’t currently provide it as we don’t want to encourage eating in the room (the guest room we currently rent on air), don’t have time to set up/clear away in our personal dining area ect. This space would be fine for eating and is big enough that we can add a little table in their living area but probably only with room for two… would this attract negative reviews if our space is listed for four?

• the breakfast we could provide would have to be things we could leave out for them when they arrive that don’t need to be cooked (no space for extra appliances). So cereals, yogurt (if we go for the fridge), muffins etc… would you list breakfast as an amenity or do you think that would make guests feel disappointed with the selection? Maybe best not to mention it and leave it as a little extra surprise?

• the layout of their space - the guests would share our front door, a few steps down the hallway is the door to their space. Once through that door it’s all private just for them. No reason for anyone else in the house to pass through any part of their space etc. No lock on their door. Am I right in thinking I can’t list this as an entire space? Even though it’s basically an apartment (minus kitchen) and they won’t be allowed access to any other part of the property other than ‘their’ space? Yet it’s so much more than a ‘private room’ and Airbnb offers us no option in between. How do other hosts get round this? I’m planning on describing it as a ‘suite’, does this seem like the most effective term to use?

• we won’t be allowing children, so groups of up to four adults only. However I’m conscious this may encourage ‘party groups’. What can I do to prevent this other than the usual registered guests only and quiet hours rules?

Many thanks in advance for your help! All input greatly appreciated.

[Sorry, I made an error.]

I don’t have a similar set up but I have thoughts. LOL. [quote=“Gardenhost, post:1, topic:12116”]
There is room for a fridge - do you think this is worth providing?
[/quote]

I added a fridge and microwave to my listing and I am getting more bookings than ever. Even if it’s just a space to put some water and beers I really like a space with a fridge. Is it a deal breaker if a place doesn’t have it? No. [quote=“Gardenhost, post:1, topic:12116”]
Maybe best not to mention it and leave it as a little extra surprise
[/quote]

I used to offer it when I first started. I have no reason to think that it helped me at all. [quote=“Gardenhost, post:1, topic:12116”]
Am I right in thinking I can’t list this as an entire space? Even though it’s basically an apartment (minus kitchen) and they won’t be allowed access to any other part of the property other than ‘their’ space? Yet it’s so much more than a ‘private room’ and Airbnb offers us no option in between. How do other hosts get round this? I’m planning on describing it as a ‘suite’, does this seem like the most effective term to use
[/quote]

I don’t think you can list it as a private space but airbnb’s guidance is unclear. They need a 4th room type. Here’s what they tell guests the difference is.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/5/what-does-the-room-type-of-a-listing-mean

I have a separate entrance and the door into my space is locked. The have an en suite bathroom, small desk and a fridge/microwave. I list mine as a private room. I already had one guest who thought he got an entire place with a kitchen. To me an entire place would have a kitchen although there are probably many listings of “entire place” that don’t have one. I’d rather underpromise and overdeliver.

2 Likes

Hi Sandy,
I did read your response before you removed it. Just wanted to say thank you for your advice, I very much appreciate it!! Not sure where the error was but I have taken it all onboard :blush:

Interesting to hear your bookings increased after adding a fridge and microwave! It’s possible we could find room for a microwave, I think it would fit on one of the shelves. Will definitely consider a small fridge.

I probably won’t bother with breakfast either. People don’t seem to mind not having it in the guest room we currently rent out. But I will add a table and chairs so they can bring takeaways etc. do you think it would matter that we can only fit 2 chairs if the space is for 4? There are 2x two seater couches so plenty of places to sit.

I’ll list it as a private room but make it clear in the title that it’s a ‘2 bedroom suite’

Many thanks for your help!

In the interest of full disclosure there are a few other things I did around the same time including changing my listing title so it may only be coincidence. I put my microwave on top of the fridge.

Are you advertising this space as STR or LTR?

It’s a tricky one! I’d probably go for an “entire listing” but with a LOT of clearly defined caveats. On the other hand, the lack of a kitchen and the shared access to the property makes that a bit problematic. So probably ‘suite’ is the best. I think adding a fridge would be a great idea. And a space to at least sit down and have a drink and a snack. If I’m completely honest, from what you’ve said, it doesn’t sound the most appealing place to have a nice time away with friends. Are there plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby? Is there any reason they can’t eat in the separate living space? How did your long-term tenants manage?

STR, on air. We have been renting it out long term up until now

Thanks for your advice! I think you’re right that the lack of kitchen and shared access makes advertising it as an entire place difficult.
They can absolutely eat in their living area! That’s why I want to put a table. theres space for a small one on the corner. Our long term access shared the kitchen with us.

I’m confident people will want to stay here, we live in a tourist town which is absolutely beautiful. There is s population of around 5000 and there are on average 45 weddings per weekend in summer, which gives you an idea of just how many people love to come here (although that wouldn’t at all be my market). The ‘suite’ has panoramic mountain views and views of the lake, which is a 2 minute walk away. It’s a 5 minute drive from the town which have amazing cafes and restaurants. The house is 10 years old and has been very well looked after which gives it a bit of a luxury feel.

1 Like

Oops, I see the confusion about eating in the room now. I was talking about the guest room we already have listed, there’s no space for a table of anything in there. We’re not strict about it and many people do bring food back, we just don’t want to encourage it by leaving plates etc. as there’s nowhere to sit so they would probably eat in bed. They can ask for a plate and we’ll happily give them some.

Upstairs, I would leave all that stuff out already for them

Hello Everyone,
I too have an upstairs of my home with two bedrooms, kitchenette and bathroom. I rent the rooms out for two couples as a group, or single for privacy as I don’t want my guests sharing the bathroom with strangers.However, Some bookings are two single women and when they arrive they think they can use both beds for the one booking!! How do I word it on my listing so as it’s very clear the price is for one room only?

Karen

1 Like

I have a similar setup and received a request like this recently. I have amended my listing to add the following: “If you would like extra space for a group of 2 people please make a booking for 3 people in order to book both bedrooms.” The guest who enquired didn’t want to share a room with her friend so has paid the extra in order to use both bedrooms.

1 Like

I have decided that I am selling two beds in my listing, and if they want to use both with only two people, so be it. The extra charge only kicks in when there is a third person.

This is what I’m leaning towards too, I’ll set my base price as if both beds will be used, and if one isn’t that’s a bonus!
We do get pairs of friends currently booking our guest room, they share the one bed but if they had the option they’d obviously prefer one each.