The Definitive Guide to setting the Guest Airbnb Cancellation Policies/Policy Types for Hosts (with examples)

This is a useful post, but could be updated with the (relatively) new Firm policy, which is not mentioned.

Also, I feel I have written about this before, but the way the policy description is written sucks, at least in the case of the strict policy I am currently using.

So, here is how it’s described by Airbnb

• To receive a full refund, guests must cancel within 48 hours of booking, and the cancellation must occur at least 14 days before check-in
  • If they cancel between 7 and 14 days before check-in, you’ll be paid 50% for all nights
  • If they cancel after that, you’ll be paid 100% for all nights

But it’s left ambiguous what happens if a guest books 60 days before check-in, and then cancels 30 days before check-in. So they are not cancelling within 48 hours of booking, so the first rule doesn’t apply. And they aren’t cancelling within 14 days, so the second and third rule doesn’t apply.

The first rule says that “To receive a full refund”, which implies that if that first rule does not apply, the guest doesn’t receive a full refund, but it’s left unclear how much the guest will be refunded.

Apparently the rule is that if the guest cancels more than 14 days before check-in, the host gets a 50% refund, but the rules as written don’t actually say that. It might be worth explicitly mentioning such deficiencies.

1 Like

Airbnb is very good at ambiguous wording, so it is either intentional, or they just hire copy writers who are incompetent.