The AirBNB "Platform"

I usually do get IB notifications. I had a two or three instances last month where I found out I had a booking after checking my email, but usually I get the ding on my phone (android).

Hi Susan,

My husband (who is the sole smart phone owner in the household) says that he gets an email and a text when someone instant books.

One of my many pet peeves about Airbnbā€™s website is that the tab on top of the screen doesnā€™t show when there is new activity like how Airhostforumā€™s tab shows how many new posts have occurred.

1 Like

Hi @anon67190644,

How is IB working for you? Didnā€™t you recently start using it?

@J_Wang I get no ding. No ding love. I am like Pavlovā€™s dogsā€¦ love that ding.

1 Like

@faheem As you may recall, I was one of the ā€œchosenā€ who was not allowed to turn it off. When they fixed that, AirBNB had just made it clear that those with IB would be more likely to filter to the top of the list. So, I chickened out and didnā€™t turn it off. Now, please remember, I have only done this AirBNB thing for about 6 months, so my experiences arenā€™t based on a long lifespan. So far, my IB guests have not been any different than the others.

Last month, as I was totally reservation less, I changed my setting to allow people who were verified but had no reviews to book IB, and the rate of bookings has increased. It is rather a pleasant surprise to wake to a reservation having been made while I sleep but folks in Australia are wide awake.

I am getting more of the type of reservations I prefer for this summer. Longer stays, fewer people in the group [i.e. only one bed to make]ā€¦ and my rate per night is higher. I have enough stellar reviews now that I feel that my new price point is justifiable, and it appears that others agree. Thank goodness I wasnā€™t sucked in by AirBNB earlier this month to reduce my price to their suggested price.

2 Likes

Yes. I want notifications! My relationship with a guest begins the moment they reserve or inquire.

Iā€™ve had IB on for a couple of months and havenā€™t had one res from it. Itā€™s been the regular requests even though some have had reviews from other hosts as I request from an IBer.

I feel the same. I always thank the guest for booking with us immediately. I think it signals to them that they will be well taken care of.

2 Likes

Hi @smtucker,

Yes, I remember you told us that you were being forced to use it, and that you would never use it voluntarily. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m still not using it, and still feel itā€™s unlikely that Iā€™ll ever do so. Though to make this work long term itā€™s clear Iā€™m going to have to diversify one way or the other.

Thatā€™s a little surprising. You mean you get regular reservation requests? Why donā€™t they just book instantly?

It is surprising. Our guests like the convenience of Instant Book. The only ones who send reservation requests are the ones who have questions.

Even though I use IB, I find that many guests contact me first. Sometimes people who are using the Airbnb system for the first time really donā€™t understand what IB is all about so they enquire to find out if the dates are available.

They might have other questions such as whether a late check in will be okay, how close we are to the beach or some other landmark, whether weā€™ll accept them because they are teenagers - there are lots of questions they might ask.

And yes, most of the information is in the listing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @EllenN and @jaquo,

Yes, come to think of it, if I was to ever do an Airbnb booking myself - I probably would not do an IB booking directly. It just feels tooā€¦ abrupt. Iā€™d probably ask first. But I might not be typical. People are often in a hurry.

1 Like

If I had to guess, Iā€™d say about half of my guests enquire first. Itā€™s a good sales opportunity!

Would you prefer they did IB? Or do you not have a preference?

Itā€™s true that Americans tend to rush through social interactions. However, I like Instant Book. Itā€™s nice to not have to respond to booking inquiries in the middle of the night. Also, anecdotally Iā€™ve found Instant Book guests to be better guests. The fact that they donā€™t need ask questions before they book translates to being less picky and more self sufficient.

To be honest, I donā€™t have a preference. I tend to respond quickly to enquiries and mostly guests book as soon as their questions are answered. I always assume that Iā€™m not the only person to have heard from them so I like to answer them as soon as possible and do a bit of subtle selling at the same time.

1 Like

I have no idea except I require they have positive reviews and ID. Many of my guests havenā€™t had previous reviews.

1 Like

This happened to me a while back, text notifications just stopped for no reason. I got it working again by re-setting the push notifications options (under Account) on a pc. That is, I switched the options off and then switched on again. You could try it?

I will try that. Thank you for the idea. The odd thing is, I do get notifications and the big ding when itā€™s an inquiry.