Take Stock Of EVERYTHING (something doesn't feel right)

omg i thought i was the only one, i do that too when i open the door! or wondering if the house is going to be trashed

Last Winter, I hosted a Spanish family. I didnā€™t see them, but they were checked-in and checked-out by my concierge while I was out.

When I returned, I found a jacket for a 6 yo kid that they had left behind.

There was no 6 yo kid in the family, they were more like 10+.

I will never know, and at this point, I am too afraid to ask. :grinning:

I was out of town the past week but I have a woman who is booking every M-W for 10 weeks in a row. My housesitter is also my airbnb co-host and she cleans the room when I canā€™t. When the guest arrived Monday she couldnā€™t get the digital code lock to work. Even though she was here last week and I showed her and explained its quirks in person she couldnā€™t get in. My co-host wasnā€™t here but was getting ready to head over. I told the guest to just use the garage code and come through the house to her room which she did. When the co-host arrived she asked if a friend who came by to get her dog (also using garage code) had left money on the kitchen counter. I didnā€™t know there was any money on the counter when I told the guest to go in the house. If she had taken the money Iā€™d have never known. I suppose she may have been kept honest by the upcoming stays but I prefer to think she is just honest.

To my knowledge, only a pillow has ever been taken from me.

1 Like

You have an overactive imagination :slight_smile: None of that seems odd to me.

2 Likes

We had a holiday apartment on the Gold Coast (australia) and the cutlery and utensils constantly evolved. I started out with a matching set but over time, somehow, Iā€™d lose things and gain others, until I had one of those mismatched sets of cutlery and crockery that is typical of holiday rental properties. ha! People will take batteries out of remote controls, we had that happen a few times. You could photograph everything and put the printed images in your house manual, it might deter some.

We have been very lucky in that the only thing that ever seems to walk are my pens. I put out two decent pens, and darned if they donā€™t disappear quite regularly. Thatā€™s to be expected, and probably (mostly) accidental (maybe). :wink:

Thanks for the reminder. I need to check the pens in the desk drawer.

2 Likes

I have pictures in my listing!

My Easter guestā€™s took, the basket from the coffee maker. I double checked the trash, but for $10, not worth contacting Airbnb .

We have custom pens in the bureau which weā€™re happy for guests to take as a memento because they are printed with the buildingā€™s logo and the address - but I canā€™t remember the last time a guest took one.

1 Like

Just realized Iā€™m missing a pillowcase. Dear guest whoever: I can get stains out!! No need to destroy the evidence!!

2 Likes

Some people are just OCD, you have to accept that. My backup housekeeper always rearranges my furniture to her liking, but being OCD (my diagnosis) she is an awesome cleaner.

1 Like

Well, itā€™s been a month since the lost figurines, and I just found them in a random drawer in one of the bedrooms. So they mustā€™ve been hidden from the children by the parents. I take it back!

2 Likes

I found a decorative, battery operated clock in the closet. I was really puzzled at first until I realized it ticks quite loudly - even though my husband and I have slept in the room to test out how comfortable the room was we never noticed the sound. The guests never mentioned it and we got a lovely 5 star review.

Since then I make sure to mention in my walk-through that if the clock bothers them, they can put it in the closet. Most people seem to find that amusing and I havenā€™t had to search for it since!

Interesting. Females are known to have acute hearing. (My other half canā€™t hear the ticking of a battery-run clock but I can hear it from 10 feet away!)

I have a modern-looking wall clock in my TV/Office. It is open-faced (no protective glass or plastic shield on it), and I just removed the red arm or wand that ticks off the seconds. That did the trick!

1 Like

Shower heads seem easy to fix, itā€™s either limescale, or just needs a quick tighten.
Having said that, Iā€™ve broken 2 shower heads whilst holidaying. One I paid for, and the other ended up just as broken as before, but in a different way, so I kept schtuum (taps side of nose).

Two while on holidayā€¦what were you doing in there :):rofl:

2 Likes

@Helsi

(I sent you a PM on another matter.)

Hi @SandyToes

I canā€™t seem to see a PM could you resend?

Thanks.