Surprised who my most difficult guests are!

That applies to so many other countries, in fact probably more so. China and Russia in particular have a huge swathe of nouveau riche that fit this description, Again I would argue that it’s not about individual country characteristics, it’s all about social norms, education, experience and, crucially, the universal gracelessness that comes with wealth that has not been earned.

edit: meant to reply to @mearns last reply

6 Likes

I am making the comparison among ‘western nations’, certainly not China, Russia and yes it tends to happen in any culture experiencing a sudden rise of nouveau riche. The fact that there are others (even new ones) doesn’t undermine the point, the behavior of many Americans is of the nouveau riche, commonly considered not a very likeable lot as to behavior.

OK. But Russians are increasingly “Western” and the Chinese are busy quietly taking over the world so I’d say it’s prudent to include them in discussions. It seems crazy to me to categorise Americans. The smartest, funniest, most inventive people on the planet are often American. The most stupid, as well. Just like anywhere.

Well @Magwitch many have expressed that they oftentimes find Americans ‘different’ than other cultures, some of us are offering some plausible reasons why, which was the original question of the OP. I myself, find it advantageous and smart to approach them with more ‘caution’ than any other type of people, and there are many reasons why based on MY personal experience. You want to adhere to a philosophy that they are no different than anyone else. Thank God for choices.

1 Like

All I’m saying is that the stereotype of the ugly American is just that: a stereotype. You’re right though, the OP is about a specific situation that is repeatedly occurring. There have been lots of helpful posts about how to adjust the listing to deter such guests. I don’t have anything to add to that, I’m afraid, other than being super clear that it is an old building and that there will be black people living in the neighbourhood behaving as if they SHOCK! actually belong there.

I agree, it is a stereotype, but thoughts and commonly formed opinions do not come from outer space, they come from actual first-hand experience. No one is dying not to like a group of people, for the ‘fun’ of it. Especially in business, which is what hosting is.

1 Like

Unless you actually NEED those problem guests (whether they are American or not) - there is no need to adjust a listing when so many other cultures “get it.” and you can stay booked/stress free - Too bad so sad if someone happens to be associated with that culture. That is life. And that person booking should stress - BTW - I am not a PITA like the rest of the people from my culture blah blah blah.

2 Likes

True. I do tend to dive immediately to the anti-discrimination stance. It’s always wise to take a few minutes on the diving board and probably a few days in the case of being a host!

BTW, 90% of my guests are Americans, and I find them really a delight to host overall. I just make sure to never forget certain principles when dealing with them: always be super straight and yes firm if need to;, never nickel and dime with them; and be friendly which they certainly like to be. I am that way anyway, so comes naturally. I have come to appreciate them more after leaving the US six years ago, if truth be told.

1 Like

I know! Europeans use less towels than Americans I can tell you that! Europeans are more polite.They leave thankyou notes and little presents from Europe like swiss chocolate. They are so cool, I wish I had more Europeans.

3 Likes

Europeans (Australians an ‘Kiwis’ also) are a treat to host. My island is full of little gifts they have brought with therm.

2 Likes

Funny post. In Australia we have strict laws. We rent out a whole house “retreat”,. Our theme is health, tranquility and relaxation. Smoking does not fit into this category. We have a couple of small quality signs “Welcome to a smoke free environment”. I state it very clearly in my rules too.We have also provided LED candles which are just as lovely - especially when you have the ones where the flames flickers.I find it best to discuss everything up front, so its all clear.

2 Likes

You have an absolutely gorgeous place!

2 Likes

I am not sure why you are referring to me and what about smoking?

Sadly it has changed. It’s like when Craigslist had this “underground” vibe to it; that’s no longer the case, and the same is true with Airbnb. Although my place does have an Old School hippie vibe that most appreciate, but I have had a couple of people who don’t quite get it. I can tell by the look on their face, but it always turns out fine. Usually! :)))

Thank you.Hope you come and visit some day.

1 Like

Great place Julia, absolutely beautiful.

Stunning place. I will get there one day.

@whamser (and ALL AIRBNB HOSTS!) This is a HOSPITALITY business --host are to be hospitable, and provide all the amenities listed in the listing (or would be normally expected) --if you say guests can cook, hosts should provide ALL that’s needed for cooking, including a working stove, pots, pans, bowls dishes, cooking implements, etc). If you don’t have it, or it’s broken, SAY SO ! (to PREVENT guest unhappiness) Guests spend a lot of money and time to travel–they deserve to get at LEAST what is offered in your listing…if not, refund some (or all) of the money–otherwise you have misrepresented yourself/ your listing–and that is not only bad, it is illegal (fraud). I hosted almost every day for three years and collected HUNDREDS of excellent reviews–except for two. I learned from those bad reviews – I did not fault the guest (me failing to disclose in one case, me not vetting the guests well enough in the second case). Full disclosure in the listing (adjusting when necessary for anything missing or broken), INSPECTING the apartment carefully BEFOREthe the guests arrive (make sure everything works!), good communication–these are mandatory for running a good hospitality business. A host’s mission statement should be: “To provide the BEST POSSIBLE guest experience!” (PERIOD!) That means making sure everything is “guest ready” --e.g. nothing broken, missing, dirty, smelly, dangerous, unhealthy, etc, etc. It is up to you to make sure everything is all is as it should be --otherwise offer a discount…THAT should make your guest happy, and insure you do not get a bad review. HAPPY HOSTING (and if hosting is not making you happy, you should be doing something else for money) P.S. It does not matter WHAT country people come from --creating or perpetuating stereotypes is never a good thing --in fact it’s a bad thing when it comes to talking about airbnb guests…people are people no matter where they are from–some are nice, some are grumpy…that’s just life…again, don’t do airbnb if you can’t accommodate all the different types of folks out their traveling around the world. You should be there for them…not the other way around–since you are getting PAID to provide a service… I am very tired of hearing hosts “rag” on bad guests…again, not good for Airbnb in general…up your game of hospitality, change your attitude!

Hey Tara, thanks for your input :-))) would love to see your listing and how you present things as I could probably learn a couple of things.

3 Likes