Surprised who my most difficult guests are!

It’s all anecdotal – I just had a family from NYC Upper West Side and who have another house in Sag Harbor. Nicest people! I even went out to coffee with them. However, my worst guest was from NYC! You never can tell …

1 Like

Our worst guests ever?

Photographer from Arlington, Grad Students from Brandeis.

memorable.

I read his review. Didn’t have the nerve to see if it’s going to tank my SH status.

“Nice stay. Except there was an issue with ‘harmless insects’”. He’d called me into the bathroom to point out a few ants that were headed into the shower for a drink. I sprayed with vinegar and wiped them up.

I think it was a snarky reference to my warning about there being some ants and that I want people to take trash out right away and no not eat in bed. And I said I don’t used insecticide because the ants and daddylonglegs are harmless.

He was just pissed off I didn’t cook him breakfast. I could tell by the look on his face when he left.

Do you advertise breakfast? My guess is no. I supply coffee, tea, and sweetners. That’s it. And I’ve never gotten a complaint. However, mine is a whole house and I’m only there for arrival and departure, when I can (which means about 3/4 of the time).

No I don’t, but I have a tray on the kitchen counter with some basics; but if I’m here, which has been most of the time over the summer. I’ll offer coffee or tea, which I put on a tray along with a yogurt cup, banana and then ask if they’d like some toast–my locally world famous toast with honey and cinnamon :slight_smile:

I’m a foodie, so I’ve always got a fridge jammed with stuff and I offer samples, which most accept. The first time this guy stayed he wanted carbs because he was going on a big multi-K run. He made that request! This time when he asked for food I just stayed in my room and texted him back to help himself to the tray stuff. Too funny. He’s really very creepy and I’ll be making an excuse for the next request :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know at the risk of sounding politically incorrect do you think some deaf people are, well, just used to being catered to? There, I said it!

He’s a jerk for mentioning the ants in his review and for being a brat about breakfast. If it’s not promised, who the hell does he think he is being demanding about breakfast that was never promised? people!!!

I used to always go out to my garden to cut fresh hibiscus and plumeria for guests until one day a guest had to point out that that were ants on it. I said oh sorry, I took the flowers out of the room and dumped them and the gesture was spoiled.

I am an American host and live in Ireland. When I first started hosting in March of this year, I fully expected that my American guests might be the ones that were the hardest to please. So far…that has not been the case at all…which has been a very pleasant surprise!

1 Like

You shoud have reminded him that breakfast is not included and he is asking for free stuff he did not pay for.

There may be some truth to that, but this particular guy was and is very persnickety about everything. I could sense it from the start. His shirt and tie were perfectly folded and everything was arranged just so on his work table–at right angles. The kicker was using my washer to do his running outfit.

Also, at the risk of sounding politically incorrect, at a place I used to work we called them Paki-nasties! lol

Holy crap! An obsessive OCD guest, yikes! I would not be looking forward to that nit picker’s review!

I ought to know this by now, but can I see star ratings for the categories from individual guests?

The only reason why I think he might not trash me is because I am pretty much the cheapest place in my particular area. There are some in other parts of this town but they are in pretty sketchy areas with way less space and ambiance :slight_smile: than mine, so I don’t think he’ll want to burn his bridges.

I keep a spreadsheet. On the stats page it shows you how many of each star rating you’ve received in each category. When I receive a review I update the spreadsheet.

I don’t know! I NEVER look at stars! I don’t want to know!

1 Like

That should be a good advise for me who is way too sensitive about the reviews. Our slamming review from yesterday still hurts:). Live and learn: I’ll take this for an advise, thanks @konacoconutz!

1 Like

Is that the same not policitally correct term as a “sand nigger”?

No, not at all. We called the Pakistanis, Pakinasties because…well, the ones I worked with were smarmy, nasty creeps.

1 Like

We host in Barcelona, and I have been very vocal about problematic Americans during this summer season. We have gotten the ‘old building’ comment too many times to count! As well as numerous other small things, that would have been easy fixes (no soap, how to turn on the dishwasher, or operate the laundry machine) they didn’t ask about, but complained about in the reviews instead. I think some Americans just want to take their tract home and suburban lifestyle with them, and not really explore new destinations. (I’m dual American-Euro)

2 Likes

@Maggieroni, I have just been reading Host Voice on the Community Centre and this subject came up there. Some very interesting perspectives about how the huge increase in commercial / investment properties on Air has changed its nature. I think that was what my guest was getting at.
https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/AirBnB-for-individuals-not-for-companies/idc-p/161875#M531

edit: sorry, haven’t quoted the post properly but don’t know how to fix it

I feel the same way. I’m about to quit. Lately guest are so demanding. Even I helped one to find a much cheaper renting place because mine was “too expensive” and I did it and got a bad review. I spent time, money, gas, helping him for that. Never again.
Others think this is a resort and I’m the front desk girl and housekeeper service, not a home and that I’m supposed to be here all day and night for them. I work as a high school teacher and I cant use my phone for several hours…oh well…guest complained I took a century to reply and other nonsense…again, I’m about to quit with airbnb… too much drama, threats with lawsuits, demands against my home rules…

2 Likes

Some hosts can manage working outside the home and working in the hospitality business too. I know I couldn’t. I truly admire those who do.

I can only do it because I have two other jobs (sometimes three) but they are all home-based and I’m connected to my computer and/or phone during all my waking hours. @Monica_Gor, it’s simply not right for everyone. You gave it a try and it’s not for you - don’t feel bad about it, just enjoy the extra money that you earned while you were hosting :slight_smile:

2 Likes