Superhost no more

I have a currently undiagnosed chronic illness, it’s been five years. This means I neeed income but am in too much pain and too fatigued to do much about it. Airnb has been a godsend. I can’t do my cleaning, but I can supervise, do the beds and manage the listing. I’m not a cleaning queen, but do know how clean a place need to be. You won’t find me using a black light or lint roller, but I do swing a good mop to get spider webs.

Some people here love to clean, will do a full deep clean between guests, then There are people like me who have the place cleaned adequately. I think we all do what is right for our guests. But as you can read from many posts, the guests can be wonderful or they can be jerks. The whole review culture has gone crazy. I ordered a new camera. Umpteen emails asking me to review the purchase. What can I say? The print on my Visa bill was crisp and black?

We all need to take deep breath and not freak out when someone expresses frustration or fatigue with the the job of being a host. I am a very experienced Registered Nurse, there are days when I feel that I can’t be bothered, some of that is my pain, some is just people being jerks. But then I pull myself together, put in a smile and carry in. One reason lately is being instrumental in helping a lady get to her 102nd birthday, seeing her out of bed, dressed smartly and smiling.

2 Likes

Superhost is like our UK system of ‘Scores on the doors’.
All food establishments are supposed to be inspected and given a score of 1-5. The relevant certificate MUST be displayed on penalty of a fine! I do have a 5 (top marks!) but no guest has ever checked it or commented. I’m not a Superhost, I had a very bad review from a guest who had more problems than I care to remember so she put me down. Does it bother me? NO, not a bit. My guests return, that’s the main thing!

What are you referring to @courgette3? I am not familiar with these certificates that need to be on display …

They are green certificates , mainly used in Wales. They may come into
use in England too.

Are these for commercial b&bs? It would be useful if you could provide a link as ‘green certificate and wales’ isn’t bringing anything meaningful up in google.

Are you in the UK?
They are called 'Scores on the doors’
All food premises, certainly in Wales, have them.

Ah ok it’s something for restaurants and cafes. Thanks @KKC

@courgette3 my guess is Airbnb reviews are nothing like scores on the doors. One is a score following an inspection from a governmental organisation protecting public health and safety in relation to food. I would guess inspectors and trained on how to score to ensure consistency. And I would guess those with low scores will be given areas to improve (start cooking food properly etc).

Airbnb reviews are sometimes just guests with a bone to pick. Sometimes there’s nothing fair or consistent about the process. Other times people are reasonable but all you need is someone with unreasonable expectations to come along and ruin your party.

You are correct but even small B&Bs like my 3 bedroom one, are checked.
My original point was:

Guests do not read or care what grade we are, superhost or 5 point food
provider. So that makes a mockery of the system.

When you find an alternative please please please let me know! I have had superhost status since the beginning. I now am a bit uncomfortable with all the liabilities using Air since I was renting out a room in my home, I have a pool without a fence around it and had no real say in how old or if a child can be appropriate at my home. I checked into Innclusive but they have no rentals anywhere around my place (Sacramento, California). I now rent out my room long term for $1200.00 per month and stay busy enough. I do miss hosting though.