Stays over 30 days in BC

Hi there,
We are new to AirBnB, but not to renting homes. A friend of mine, who also has rentals (not AirBnB) has recently asked me to check into rentals over 30 days as it then falls under the rules of the BC Rental Tenancy Act. You then need to provide a separate rental contract, etc. and if you have a problem with them, you may not be able to evict. They would then be able to stay in your home rent free for 3 months (which has happened to him).
I can’t seem to find anything on this online anywhere. I’m just wondering if there is someone here that is knowledgable in this that can set me straight?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds about right to me. One of the many reasons I don’t allow stays of over 21 days.

Sounds right – lots of hassles with 30+ day rentals. I would keep the LTRs and STRs completely separate – STRs through AirBnb, and LTRs by whatever advert/marketing you’ve been using.

Thx Ken. I’ll set my max to 30 days then. If anyone is interested in staying longer then I will use the normal rental paperwork we use for our other rental.

Safer to set it to 21 days. If you do accept longer stays give the guests a standard lease to sign and collect a big deposit in cash (I would advise off the platform so you control it.) But in general it really is not good and I would NEVER do it.

21 not 30? We have someone coming in July for just over three weeks. Is 21 days the cut off? Thx for your response @konacoconutz

Just my arbitrary cutoff. I would not worry about your upcoming guest. They are still in the short term window.