Smart Pricing from airbnb?

Mine is on and I have it set between £20-30. Currently all my days are £20-22 which I am fine with.

Airbnb does not have a clue when it comes to pricing. For example the suggested that I price at $13 a night during the HIGH season and $27 during the LOW season. Regardless of what the actual numbers are, why would a host want to increase their prices when demand is at it’s lowest? We had typically been charging $57 during the high season and $39 in the off season, which I think is very competitive for what we offer, which is basically a self contained suite with private entrance, $1200 mattress and big screen tv. Use of private secluded pool in resort like settings with great views, and lots more.

4 Likes

Yes, I may have mentioned this before, but last summer I had an airbed, scraps for furnishings, and guests had to come upstairs to shower. The place was basically a bit of a junk-yard with a nice bedroom in the middle of it. Now it’s two bedrooms, the basement has (almost) been refinished, they have a private bath, very nice real beds, and a kitchen table and futon in the kitchen. Price tips are exactly the same as last summer.

1 Like

Briefly I used the smart pricing and quickly realized it was not going to work for me. The fluctuations were not good, especially on the low end that dropped way below what I’d ever consider charging a guest. So I shut it off.

I hugely prefer just listing a set price regardless of time of week or holiday, and I think guests appreciate this. I hate it when chain motels jack up their rates to absurd levels just because it’s a holiday and rooms are in demand. I refuse to engage is this price gouging on our AIrbnb “sharing” (choke) platform.

1 Like

I have a large upscale Tudor style home on a national park with city views in the distance - “smart pricing” suggests that I rent a private room for less than the cost of a bunk bed space at a local hostel.

4 Likes

I hear ya. That’s crazy.

Where are you? Would you mind sharing your listing?

@rod @dcmooney and I are always on the look out for listings near our national and state parks because I am in the Catskills and she is the Adirondacks. So many here are in urban areas. We feel the odd-man-out most of the time. :wink:

1 Like

The lower price limit suggested is higher than any of the Smart Pricing generated prices for any date. Why could that be?

1 Like

That is a beautiful place, @rod!

1 Like

:smile:

DC is in the Adirondacks?

1 Like

Greetings from Venice, Italy.
Smart Pricing seems bad news.
It’s driving prices lower and we are having difficulties getting the same prices we used to.
Some people I know are already leaving Airbnb for other platforms because “on Airbnb you can only sell cheap”.
It’s going to be interesting to see what happens next.
Not sure that was a Smart move for Airbnb.

1 Like

I agree air bnb price gets lower and lower…I am making better price with other platform and my own website.

I’ve noticed that smart pricing has my listing at half the price of other listings in the area. I had to set a minimum that I honestly thought was too low, but higher than their suggested low. I just don’t think it’s worth the hassle at $30 per night to have to clean a bathroom, and kitchen etc. I set the minimum to $40, but I’d rather it be $50. Especially when other places that aren’t as nice as mine are going for double that in some cases.

Is it because my listing is new?

2 Likes

Smart pricing never puts prices lower than the low limit you set — for me, anyway. I thought that is how it’s meant to be?

Yeah, I set the limit at $40. I’d rather it be at $50, but AirBNB keeps telling me it should be $30.

Then set your lower limit to $50. It will never show lower than that :slight_smile:

Forget what Airbnb recommends. They don’t know your place or what you offer. They don’t know about special events that bump up the price. They don’t know your hosting style or the extras your provide.

Smart Pricing and Price Tips are just computer algorithms - you know best!

5 Likes

Do not listen to airbnb price suggestions. They are insane. Last year my guests had used furniture and an airbed, and had to shower upstairs. Now they have a private bath, nice kitchen, a real bed, new furnishings, etc Airbnb’s suggested price is the same as last summer.

1 Like

Well, I have discovered an issue with the system. We have a minimum set for Smart Pricing which is slightly higher than the original base price. The guest received a quote of the minimum price, but when the booking came through, it was at the lower base price.

1 Like