Shower gel/ shampoo etiquette

Bathrooms are tiled, wet and slippery. To me it’s bizarre to keep toiletries in glass containers. If you don’t make it clear that they may use your toiletries in your bathroom, but not in the pool showers, I see why they would assume that it’s okay to take them to the pool showers.

1 Like

Me too, but the Simplehuman ones are reasonable-looking.

Really? Thats all you have, 2 of each? Thats so awesome. I wish i could do that.

it’s fitted with a pump. It’s a large bottle and when it’s used in the bathroom (it sits in the corner of the shower) it generally doesn’t move …because it doesn’t need to. There’s no need to pick it up because you just press the pump. I agree if someone were to pick it up with wet hands (why I’m not sure) then yes there’d be glass everywhere however as it’s in my flat no big deal.

Carrying it to a public pool area is something entirely different and I would be in trouble with the building managaement if there was a breakage that put wider residents at risk.

1 Like

@Zandra

I didn’t know the word “closh” although I assumed it was the glass dome that goes over a cake or bread or cookies, etc. But nope, wrong-o! I have finally wiped the tears of laughter from my eyes and present the definition for reading pleasure:

“Closh” according to Urban Dictionary is “To have sex on school grounds, especially when caught by a security guard.” (wheee!)

Ms. Merriam-Webster defines “closh” as "a post on a whaling ship fitted with hooks for hanging blubber to be sliced. (urrrp!..this is where I lost it.)

(Fortunately, there was a “cloche” defined and Bing-o, that was the glass dome.)

6 Likes

Yep 2 of everything including cutlery. This is how I noticed that someone has made off with one of my long spoons. I have such a small amount of cutlery I immediately notice when something goes missing…

1 Like

LOL!!! Oh I just laughed really loudly and probably woke up my guests! That’s hilarious !

Edit: wish I could like your post a hundred times @SandyToes

5 Likes

I’ve taken to writing the address of the home on the big bottles of shower amenities. ie: 642 Smith Ave.

Wouldn’t that get @Zandra into trouble though if the bottle was broken at the pool?

1 Like

Just like I finally had to write a note to people to stop rinsing their damned salty wetsuits in my bathtub (picturing how they dragged it through my home first!!!)

Common sense is not so common!

Every few weeks I have fewer and fewer spoons!!! And I have had guests make off with big bottles of shampoo and bug spray!

If this were my place, and if I was budget oriented and concerned, then …
I would place little plastic bottles of amenities in a basket with a sign request.
" Enjoy this body gel and hair product for the pool if you wish…but please abide by the honor system and donate $4.00 for use. If you return our plastic bottles to the basket, we will be pleased to rebate you $2.00 towards re-cycle. "
Thank you for cooperating and have fun at the pool!

2 Likes

I should not speak for Zandra…but I will. :sweat_smile: She is a low budget place. I don’t think she relishes any additional expenses such as buying individual sized bottles. The guest had no business removing anything belonging to her flat and taking it to the pool. If you need shampoo outside of the room, for cryin out loud, Make a trip to Boots and buy your own. Sheesh.

2 Likes

I use an expensive shampoo, when I have family visiting, it gets put away, and the cheap stuff is put out. For my rental, I provide inexpensive shampoo etc. When I travel, I are my expensive shampoo and body wash with me. If I was Zandra, I’d buy some cheap stuff in plastic bottles, keep the good stuff hidden.

2 Likes

Yes. The cheaper stuff is in the glass bottle. The more expensive stuff is in a small plastic bottle and is what I have had to give the guest on this occasion. Like @konacoconutz rightly said: nope not providing anything in small cute bottles in the future I don’t want the hassle.

Hi @Zandra

I have separate shampoo, shower gel and conditioner for my guests to use.

I would add it to your house rules that shower gel/shampoo shouldn’t be taken out of your apartment and reinforce this when you show them around your place.

1 Like

This presents one of those “too many petty rules” dilemmas. It’s common sense and probably not going to happen again. A one off. I don’t think she needs to make it a rule unless it keeps happening.

I didn’t make a rule about divers washing out wetsuits in my bathtub until it happened for the third time… Grrrrr​:scream::confounded::japanese_goblin::rage:

1 Like

Actually, she said in her first sentence that she’s had a few guests do this (remove the toiletries to the pool).

1 Like

One idea is to have one of those cheap plastic bathroom caddies with cheap shampoo, conditioner and body wash in it and have that available for bringing to the pool? That way it’s a provided amenity but your regular stuff stays in the bathroom. I know you’re limited space though.

2 Likes

Yes, you are a hotel.
If you provide stuff, guests think they can take it, like in any other hotel.

AirBnB wants to compete with Hotels, and this is what you get, hotel guests with hotel behaviour.