Runners - is it really about the reason that they actually give?

So, I had a guy booked for a 2 night stay. All was well, went through the tour, he even asked what was in walking distance. Then I get a text maybe 45 minutes later stating that he was cancelling because the bathroom is shared with my daughter and he wasn’t comfortable with that, he needs his own bathroom. Buuuut…my listing specifically states it’s a shared bathroom. So I’m kind of wondering, was that just a polite way of leaving for a different reason? I know the house is super clean, I’ve just had a guest and it’s very definitely up to par.

I suppose it could be for the reason he stated but I just find it odd.

I had a couple leave after the first night of a two night stay because my place wasn’t a rustic cabin isolated in the woods. As my listing clearly shows that it it only fits one of the three attribute " in the woods". Don’t worry, keep the cash.

1 Like

Well that’s the thing. I turned on flexible cancellation policy. So now I’m
out tomorrow night’s room rent. Now it’s back to moderate.

:frowning:

1 Like

If you are on flexible, it’s happening that people do last minute cancelation. It can be for weather or anything basically.

We had the same in the beginning until we put flexbile

he probably didn’t read the listing properly. They sometimes read with blinkers on.

2 Likes

Skip moderate and go directly to Strict Cancellation.

He may have freaked over sharing a bathroom with a female.

3 Likes

I would go to strict but I’m afraid bookings would drop way off. Most of my bookings are very close to the date of travel.

So glad I have this board to learn from and vent to.

1 Like

I changed to strict and my bookings have gone up rather than down (probably due to a lot more nice reviews)

3 Likes

I have always had strict and am more or less fully booked until mid April next year. Of course, I could have cancellations but it shows that strict does not decrease bookings.

2 Likes

Hmmmm. Well I think I might go for it then.

1 Like

I’ve been on strict since day one.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be comfortable with my children sharing a bathroom with a stranger and I have sons.

1 Like

I hear you. Is there a specific reason for that? Or just a general sense of unease?

Because this bathroom is the bathroom for anyone else in the house that is not in theaster bedroom. It just so happens that the only other person in the house is my daughter.

1 Like

Hi @happylittlehost,

Two things. First, I use the strict cancellation policy, and this is my experience. My bookings generally come in 2 weeks to 2 days before travel. I was pretty much fully booked during our high season. When I very first started out, which was only this past July, I had the moderate policy. One of my first bookings cancelled. I changed to strict and my bookings kept increasing.

Regarding your shared bathroom, are you in the master? Can/is your daughter willing to use yours when you have guests? I honestly believe that if you offer guests a private bath, you will be open to a much, much greater pool of travelers.

1 Like

Guess who went strict and all is well? THIS HOST. thanks you guys. You rock :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just uncomfortable exposing my children. We have seperate accommodation. We once had someone stay whose profile pic was a clown. He said he wasn’t one but I googled him and he was one in the the US. I accepted the reservation but we stayed at our farm that night. I don’t like clowns.

Sorry but I find that really funny :slight_smile:

But it’s a big concern in the UK.

3 Likes

Here as well! Clown terrorists are roaming the streets! So if you get attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

3 Likes

Brilliant :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very funny comments. They are just creepy and paedophiles, or at least some have been. Despite all the crazy clown stuff going on in the world.