Reviews - off track

Answering reviews is not recommended by most experienced hosts. How long have you been hosting?

1 Like

This is interesting. I have been a guest much longer than a host so I think my perspective is different. I really peruse those reviews (not to say that I don’t give new unreviewed hosts a chance – I do and am headed to one in NYC this week). Especially if I am traveling with elders in my family. They are adventuresome but they require sturdy bannisters and are no longer agile enough to navigate teeny bathrooms. If I can glean info and inside tips from reviews rather than peppering the host with inquiries that’s fine. I ignore the nitpicky entitled people reviews; they are pretty easy to spot. I include positive “extras” in my reviews also of course – e.g., “shop across the street has great beer selection.”

2 Likes

Hi @jaquo! I believe this is not a question of experience, this is a question of approach.

Ah, but would you agree with that if the pilot on a plane you were just boarding said so? Or the surgeon who was just about to operate on you? Or even the electrician who was going to rewire your house or the mechanic who’s fixing the brakes on your car?

2 Likes

Many people don’t drink alcohol. So we don’t give wine to anyone who doesn’t want it. Also, our listings are in our home, and we provide breakfast, as well as a bottle of water and chocolate mints.

1 Like

It depends.
If they don’t mark you down on stars because of it then it is helpful to other guests.
I’d suggest you highlight the stairs issue on your description (which you indicate you already have), then for potential guests for whom you believe this could be an issue, in your communication bring up the issue of stairs and remind them the description in listing, and expressly tell them that you are doing this for accuracy so that they are fully aware of the picture prior to booking and don’t mark you down in reviews because of it.
When you do that, they are less likely to give you fewer stars due to stairs!

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have our answer.

2 Likes

All the chocolates in the world will not change the minds of guests who think I am too far from town. Honestly, you seem a bit naive and the tone you are taking with us a bit patronizing. If it were easy to calm guests down with chocolates or use wine or gifts to fend off bad reviews everyone would be doing it.

2 Likes

Excellent- cranky, fat drunk guests!

2 Likes