Review issue - terrible review by guest, bordering on slander

I clicked through and couldn’t find the reply to the review. I scrolled through probably 100 of them, but couldn’t find.

EDIT: FOUND IT. Holy mackerel. It showed up almost at the end for me. She wrote a f*cking novel.

1 Like

My husband copied it and pasted in in Word. It’s nineteen pages. We laughed so hard. I don’t know if you noticed; there are more than one of these insane replys.

5 Likes

OMG i just did the same thing!!! 8000 WORDS!!! Lady’s got some vocab on her, tho - hermetically, scrupulously, etc.

Then, I decided to create a word cloud. Behold -

3 Likes

Oh my goodness! Was she on speed when she wrote that?! The amount of times she brings up the golf clubs and the nest of designer glass tables… I gave up half way through. Just…wow!

She still got bookings. Proof that you can overcome anything.

3 Likes

Wow! I would say that these guests hit a button, and then had the audacity to ask for a full refund! And yet, we have had hosts with a similar problem. Guests book a shared home, and are then surprised that they are sharing, before beginning the take photos to prove that the place that they booked, that they didn’t really want, had fundamental flaws. However, her stars are not stellar so some of the comments in the original review could be quite valid.

I would never have the time to write such a treatise on shared housing, the AirBNB model, or a guest’s habits and personality. [I admit to skimming some of it. I don’t really have time to READ such a treatise either.]

Hi @EllenN,

Is the review in question the Palvi one? If so, it’s way more than 10 down for me.

Well, at least it’s good to know that if Airbnb has a limit on responses to reviews, it’s a very liberal one. Unless they granted a special exemption in this case - unlikely. This is definitely the longest reply to a review I’ve ever seen. Not so much a reply as a word haemorrhage.

2 Likes

She seems like a total nutjob! I would have totally ignored the review because although it was negative, she has 433 other reviews. But now it sticks out like a sore thumb and she’s highlighted issues that weren’t mentioned at all in the review. Bonkers.

I tried to read it all but it was so tricky - especially with it having no paragraphs - so it wasn’t clear whether she had refunded them?

Who on earth has the time to write something as long as that? Completely crazy.

1 Like

On another thread a host explained why they didn’t mention anything negative in a review, only in the reply after the host-guest was negative in theirs. I had a guest who said her Airbnb in Marfa TX was so bad she was going to “write Airbnb” about it, yet her public review was nice. People say all the time that if it’s a less than optimal experience they just won’t give a review. I think the Airbnb review system works in such a way as to be skewed to the positive because there is a lot of this “If you can’t say something nice, say nothing” mentality.

If you have 4 rooms since 2012 and a low enough price, people will stay with you and the reviews will build up. I would never, ever stay with this lunatic woman based on that one response but I also won’t stay with anyone who has a 4 star average in any category (except location) unless I literally have no other choice. That means dozens of threes or lower. I just don’t feel like taking the chance with my holiday. If someone has a less than 5 star average on cleanliness, then it’s not clean.

1 Like

My old mum drilled this into me when I was a kid. :slight_smile:

So often I see reasonable-to-mediocre reviews and the response from the host has mentioned issues that were in the private feedback and not mentioned at all in the review.

I saw one recently where the host had replied very sarcastically and also mentioned that the place was left dirty and uncleaned. That listing happens to be in a building here and I had been talking to the guests just before they were leaving and I’d been into the apartment. Not only had I seen the guests going back and forth to the trash cans and so on but having been into the apartment, I know that it was left in spotless condition!

The host lied about the guests? If that happened to me in retaliation for a review I’d be apoplectic.

So the host was lying to his own back? Nice.

1 Like

Me too. They were a mild-mannered older couple and their review was accurate. It was also their first experience of staying in an STR. I imagine that they’ll simply stay in hotels from now on. It’s a shame - they were lovely and I’d host them anytime.

OTOH: I was talking to last night’s guests about their stay in San Antonio prior to arriving at my place. They weren’t too happy about it. They said they “survived.” One issue seemed to be the neighborhood and I’m very curious to see the listing, I hope a review appears at some point. They had concerns about its safety and I wondered if that was due to it being dangerous or something else like ethic composition. They said there were a lot of stray dogs roaming the street. Later, talking to the woman alone she said something that was really thoughtful and explains why the listing may get a nicer review than it might deserve. She said “These people live there and they raised their families there. It’s their home.” I think maybe the woman in this pair sees the rental in a different light than her male companion.

1 Like

Hi @faheem. There are a few of the novel length responses. I see three looking through quickly: Palvi, Bud and Zoe. I now know that we all see reviews in different orders.

OMG… Mouth fell open and hasn’t closed in half an hour. LOL.

1 Like

I’m still in the “I can’t find anything” group. All I see are pretty good reviews and no responses.

Sigh - me toooo ! :frowning:

Keep looking–it’s worth it (if you’re into that sort of down the rabbit hole thing). Just a general thank you…I had a root canal yesterday and spent the better part of the afternoon reading her replies to guest reviews (there are at least two novelettes). As it turns out, the root canal was the easier task of the day.

6 Likes

@npjulie Agree that we need to see the review to effectively advise you how to reply.

@EllenN truly a WTF host reply to a guest review. And I thought I was wordy.

@konacoconutz @Debthecat
I took screenshots to show my husband…it’s in a teeny tiny font but still 15 images! So didn’t want to flood this thread. If you want them, I can send to you via private message! Hahaha

1 Like