Review for guests who assume they can check in whenever they like

I’m a little confused about this. How do you handle same day turnovers?

1 Like

Yeah she is a troll. She is just wasting everyone’s time

Actually, I don’t agree. She is not a troll. She is a real chef and with her posts, I can only assume, has a relaxed hosting style. Finding her on the “nets” was pretty easy.

1 Like

Well she might have a relaxed hosting style but she has a nasty posting style. She came across smug and condescending. I didn’t know I had a “jailhouse” because I have check in and check out times, for crying out loud.

7 Likes

I’ve had a few guests like this, changing the check in time from 5pm to 2pm, from 8pm to 11pm, and some wasn’t able to give an exact check in time due to uncertainty in traffic. It is inconvenient for hosts but luckily I only work part time and my work is highly flexible so I can deal with these change. If you work full time, i think a key lock is very important and you can let these guests check in by themselves and drop by when you are free to give them a house tour (if this is a must for you. I feel it is because it is hard to write down everything and some guests don’t read. I give my guests a thorough walk through when they check in, but some still make mistakes, for example, on sorting waste, or didn’t lock door when they check out…)

1 Like

She probably has a day between bookings to allow for this. The Air we stayed in a month ago allowed check-in/out basically any time because of a day between. I know that when I convert my LTR house into a STR I will be doing this so that I don’t get 2 turnovers the same day or have to worry about a quick turnover that isn’t on-site!

3 Likes

It helps to step back, take a breath, and take the fear of a guest not liking you out of the occasion. I would print up a standard message greeting educating guests on your homes check in instruction (keep in brief) and why you would hate for any miscommunication that left the guests unable to check in. Remind them again right before arrival in perhaps a second, standard message, and that takes the onus off of you. As a new host, I found myself doing all sorts of crazy things because a guest wanted to “get a last minute bite to eat” or “go shopping”. Not anymore.

1 Like

I can picture her place. Been in hostels that are relaxed. Bits of food on the floor that’s not clean to begin with and there are multiple rooms for rent, so there’s a lot of traffic and everyone goes with the flow.

J! I just sent you a PM… the notifications are not working reliably so I did not see your message.

It’s unfair to intimate that hosts who are permissive with guests are lax about cleanliness. I let my guests cook whatever they want and I keep my kitchen very clean.

2 Likes

I am not a troll. I simply disagree with you.

I assume that travelers are weary and may have traffic problems or other legit reasons.

They don’t have to leave at any precise time, either. I want my guests to be relaxed and enjoy their stay in my home. No worries.

Even when you have new guests arriving? Is it fair to the new ones to have the old ones lingering around? And you don’t need time to clean?

2 Likes

Mine do not have to leave at any precise time either, as long as they are gone by 10:00.
Because the next guest would also like to get into their room from at the time I promised them.

2 Likes

I can’t tell if you are making a joke! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I ask guests to clear out of the guest room by the check out time of noon, but I tell them that they are welcome to use the rest of the house. Occasionally, the new and old guests meet. It has only been a problem once when the new guest asked the old guest to go out with him. Usually, the guests enjoy meeting the other guests. Recently, we had a guest who had a red eye and a regular guest who’s flight came in very early. As it was the regular guest’s birthday week we ordered take out and the four of us ate dinner together. The departing guest raved about this in his review.

2 Likes

A good example of hosting being an individual thing and working out well. I could see that scenario being used on an Air commercial! :star_struck:

It would not work for everyone. Someone mentioned here that they liked to give the impression that the room has only ever been occupied by the new guests… A false impression but one I can understand!

I think if I had met the people staying in my room in Kyoto before I got to enter, and saw some of their stuff, it would feel a bit weird.

But it was not an Airbnb. It was a regular guest inn.

1 Like

I completely agree that different styles work for different hosts.

Just to clarify, I require that guests remove all of their belongings from the guest room by check out time. I direct them to leave their belongings in the living room in front of the front window. This is out of the way for everyone except one of our dogs who likes to look out the front window as she thinks it’s her job to monitor all activity on our street.

3 Likes

Well… I know I should not, but sometimes I just have to feed the troll.

1 Like

We do the same.
We have a large lounge and a reception area.
Guests can hang around for a few hours, and often we store their luggage for them.

So I have these guests who did a booking last week, and told me “they are going to arrive at 3 pm”. I told them fine, but I will be away travelling, so my friend will let you in. Turns out my friend will be away, at work, so he cannot do a check-in at 3 pm. Told guests they will unfortunately have to wait until 7 pm, but this shouldn’t be a problem, they will be arriving by train and there is a locker at the train station. They will just put their luggage into the locker, and have a look at the sights of the city, which are right outside the train station, which they told me they wanted to do, anyway.

Guests assume they can check in whenever they like. They don’t want to use the locker, they want to check in at 3 pm, and then go out and see the sights of the city. This is so absolutely unbelievable. Airbnb isn’t a 5 star hotel with a 24 hour reception. Good grief, they are being charged 39€ a night, for two people, this is an absolute bargain. Still, they are making a big fuss about this issue now.

Check-in will be ONE WEEK from now, so this isn’t even news at short notice. I really hate guests who assume they can check in whenever they like.

2 Likes