Request identity documents for check-in

It’s a real problem that will grow as people catch up with Airbnb and its proliferation. Airbnb hosts are not vetted. Their data storage methods are not vetted. I’m highly uncomfortable with the whole thing. Yes you might be fine. Are you able to speak for all the other hosts collecting this information ?

If they write it on a piece of paper there’s a big problem and that certainly isn’t in compliance with data protection.

The fact that you’re asking also means that you don’t know much about data protection either… and this is exactly what I’m worried about.

WE ARE NOT AIRBNB HOSTS. WE ARE LEGALLY REGISTERED SMALL-SCALE RENTERS. So yes, we are being vetted. Yes, I’m able to speak for every legally registered host in Croatia because we all have to follow the same law. And we are being checked on it and fined if somehting is wrong. Airbnb is just one of the platforms via which you may, or may not advertise your accommodation and has nothing to do with the legal procedure which has been in place long before Airbnb was even an idea in someone’s mind.

I’m asking what exactly? I was just pointing out that your data can be later accessed by the employees, actually it has to be possible so that they could correct possible mistakes. So I’m asking you, how can someone prevent an employee to write down your data when no one is looking, or simply memorizing it while entering it into the system? There is no complete protection, there is always a human factor. The important thing is that data collection process can be traced back to someone later IF NECESSARY. And I’m telling you that this can be done for private renters as well, as we would’t have the access to the system in the first place if we weren’t legally registered. It’s not just some joke software that we download online ourselves if we feel like.

You cannot do anything with just a passport number, you would need to make a copy/scan of the passport (which in most cases is illegal).

1 Like

My point exactly. Thank you. I would never do the copy or scan, I just need name, surname, passport/id number and date and place of birth.

The internet begs to differ:

Would they actually bother to come? They probably wouldn’t bother here. Of course, this is India.

Actually, that’s probably 180 degrees from reality.

If an Airbnb host screws up, you could notify Airbnb and have him/her kicked off the platform toute suite. Actually, Airbnb might not even bother to check, though I may be doing them an injustice here.

But if you’re a foreigner in a foreign country, the idea of holding the police accountable for anything doesn’t even rise to the level of a joke. Try suggesting this to the citizen of the average Third World country, for example, and watch him/her roll on the floor laughing hysterically.

The whole world isn’t like the UK, you know. Or even Western Europe.

Yes, they would.

With the media hyping and scaring everyone with terror attacks, the police are very quickly respond to suspicious behaviour.

1 Like

I believe that social media is fertile ground for identity theft. Because people aren’t as careful as they should be about putting their private information online. And of course, information shared via social media, if not totally public, is usually not private either.

There are far easier ways to steal someone’s identity than renting out your home.

Just go to an online marketplace, and “buy” an expensive item from a private seller. Before transferring the money, ask for a copy of the passport. Most of the time they will send you a copy…

That is the big problem with AirBnB.
It is about time that regulations start to catch up and make AirBnB hosts adhere to the same rules.

In most countries they managed to ban UberPop because of the same reasons. Because most drivers were illegal. AirBnB is harder to ban, because in a lot of countries hosts are legal and already have a licence.

So if you are staying in a austria, croatia or Italy and the hosts is not asking you for your data, it is most likely an unregistered (and probably illegal) host.

1 Like

I hate Uber / Airbnb comparisons and here are some of the reasons:

Uber are running a dangerous business. Yes, driving cars on roads is dangerous. There are accidents, there might even be drivers abusing their passengers. And the “scene of crime” changes at a speed of 100 km/h, or more.

Airbnb isn’t a dangerous business at all. The biggest danger is someone falling out of their bed, surely. Yes, some people are afraid of being murdered while asleep, but I believe none of this has happened so far, during any Airbnb stay.

Therefore, it is correct to very heavily regulate Uber and similar services. Airbnb needs only very light regulation, by comparison.

I see some very interesting, broad statements that I simply don’t believe to be true, not least the idea that every host on Airbnb in Austria, Italy etc is registered and therefore likely to treat my personal data with respect. Maybe the UK is alone in most hosts being normal people who want to make a buck from their spare accommodation.

And STR activity should be regulated if you’re taking sensitive information from people.

In Austria either you are registered, or you are illegal…so if they are not asking you for your data, they are an illegal host.

1 Like

I wasn’t claiming that every host in those countries is legal. This is precisely why some of them don’t ask you for documents, because they are not officially registered. However, people who are legal renters must ask you for documents, they have no other choice. In the case you have any doubts, you can always ask your host to show you a document that confirms they are legal renters. Also, there are signs that we have to have on our rentals, signifying that we are legal renters: http://www.kordun.hr/lav/katalog/dopunski/ploce/250x250_fizicke_osobe.jpg

Plus, only legally registered renters have the software I was mentioning, so in the case you have any doubts, you can sit by your host and watch as they register you. Then are also able to give you a printed confirmation with a QR code on it that they registered you temporarily on their address. This is how it looks like (this is not my screenshot, just example from the internet): https://www.evisitor.hr/info/images/screen/I10.png

And STR acitivty IS REGULATED in those countries! That is precisely why we need the data! I don’t know how to explain it any further… Two hosts are trying to explain you the same thing, I’m corroborating it with pictures and detailed explanations… As you like…

In Austria you will not find many illegal hosts, because social control is big.
In the area I live nearly every second house does STR, if the competition find you are doing it illegally you will be reported.

In Croatia the number of illegal hosts dropped dramatically since they introduced flat rate tax calculated on the basis of the number of bed you’re offering as a private host. There are simply no incentives to risk and rent illegally, as the fine is much higher than the tax. Of course there are still some illegal hosts, but it is really very rare… Most illegal hosts are foreigners who own a property and then rent it to their compatriots via informal agreements.

We have similar regulations in the UK, we have a legal requirement to record the name, passport number, place of birth and details of the next destination for all overseas visitors staying in our STR.
Unfortunately a lot of hosts think they can just earn a bit of extra money without complying with regulations.
https://www.visitbritain.org/pink-book/registration-and-data-protection

@HumptyDumpty that information is for business owners offering self catered or catered accommodation. That doesn’t apply to the majority of hosts on Airbnb. Even in on this forum I think think of a handful of hosts that are operating a business in the traditional sense …

And you’ll note how it talks about data storage and data protection.