Rating guests: remind me what matters to others

I believe @jaquo that I may well have made an assumption that is just plain wrong! Too many questions. What we do know is that there is a really pregnant woman in this person’s house.

1 Like

I can confirm that in UK and Ireland midwives NEVER do home visits prior to delivery unless you are planning a home birth or you’re a very special case in exceptional circumstances (and I don’t think being an Airbnb guest qualifies for that). So it is clear that these guests gave the host’s address to authorities to arrange a home birth but didn’t bother to inform the host that was what they were planning. Gobsmacking outrageous behaviour.

3 Likes

@Magwitch. Thank you for letting us know what is “standard” in the UK and Ireland. One of the great things about this forum is learning about traditions around the globe.

4 Likes

Wow, I’m even a home-birther and I’m appalled by this. I did have a lady contact me about staying with us for a month around her due date as she was high risk or something and lived an hour away from her doctor and so for the few weeks before her due date her kids and she was going to stay in our apartment and her husband was going to join them once they were in active labor and then they’d have the baby and come back for a few days and then all head home together.

I was fully on board with it all because it’s a SEPARATE residence from mine, but with the steep stairs to access the apartment and too many kids to be comfortable in our space they ended up finding another place. And it was disclosed. And they contacted me because of mutual friends and we all had common background, acquaintances, etc.

I didn’t read all the comments, but wow. That seemed like a shared house for 1. And not telling them in advance or asking them? I had a friend who decided to book a hotel room next to the hospital once labor started so she could be close and yet away from the kids and not in the hospital until actually needed… But that was a hotel. And she wasn’t planning to give birth there. So even though I understand the thought process of this mother, etc, the absolute brazenness and narcissism of this woman!

1 Like

When I was studying midwifery in the U.K. Some years ago, wee did home visits for some women with high blood pressure or when they were on bedrest. Also, if the midwife was providing care for a planned hospital birth, as an ikndependent midwife, she may provide prenatal care in the home. In the U.K. Some midwives have hospital privileges and provide care for home and hospital births. I support home birth, but it’s wrong for people to rent your place planning a home birth without getting your permission. No different than people wanting to rent form party or photo shoot, neither are you tha norm for short term rentals.

1 Like