Rating guests: remind me what matters to others

@Alia_Gee, this is hysterical! We had a kitty like that! I swear, it would be raining and he’d be begging to go out. But then, as soon as the front door opened, he’d look at us like, “Um, turn that OFF so I can go outside!”

3 Likes

Ha ha ha!! I had to google oxy contin but oh yes, that works too!

I’ve only just started reading this thread but oh my…

Finished reading now. Words fail me. I feel like I stumbled into an alternative Airbnb universe. You want to give birth in my home? Oh how wonderful! I look forward to all the bunnies and butterflies spreading joy throughout the place. I know that giving birth is a very clean and uncomplicated process and will provide a couple of extra towels for your convenience.

2 Likes

I should look more often - that is hilarious! :grinning:

A couple of weeks ago I had guests who are expecting a baby in June. So it could have happened to me! (And they were a gorgeous couple - they’re going to have a beautiful baby, I imagine).

How typical the the host waited until the next day after the guests had arrived to go on a forum and ask other people what she should have done about it. She didn’t mention anything to the guests at all. She should have either dealt with it there and then or just embraced it as another story for her Airbnb autobiography!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, I feel for the host actually. She was obviously weighing up the situation and deciding what to do and it seems she did try talking to the guests but just got abuse. I found the ‘oh you should feel privileged’ posts most gob-smacking. Seriously, on what feckin’ planet can it be reasonable to book an Airbnb to have a home birth and not inform the host of your intention?

2 Likes

I know, and it must be just me, but I do find it funny.

On their arrival we were completely overwhelmed by the fact that the lady was 38 weeks pregnant and had chosen our property with the idea of being closer to the maternity hospital.

But what I really don’t get is, if she didn’t want them, why she even let them in once she knew what was going on. However, the fact that she’s 38 weeks, they booked for a month and the hospital isn’t really close by, makes me think that it might be a planned induced birth.

Either that or the parents are absolute nutcases! I doubt the sanity of anyone who chooses to give birth in an unknown Airbnb rental.

You don’t induce at home. I think that they spread the odds. Some babies arrive 2 weeks early, some arrive two weeks late. This is well within the normal range. I bet her due date is right in the middle…

I don’t think (I might be wrong) that the guests intend to have the birth in the rental. I might be reading it wrongly but it seemed that this was just what the host assumed.

At the B & B, we often had guests who were booked in for an operation at the local hospital. A couple might spend a week with us, then one of them would go for the operation while the other stayed with us. Then there might be a recuperation week with us after that.

Never any babies though! :slight_smile:

Come on though, would you really turn away a pregnant guest at the door? I know I wouldn’t. You would be in ‘hello and welcome!’ mode and I’m guessing it took a little while for the reality to sink in. But yes, absolutely yes, to the idea of having a home birth in someone else’s home as a matter of choice.

We had a guest who had a surgical procedure done while she was a guest with us. A word of warning to other hosts. Make sure that you give the guest sheets and towels that you don’t care about.

1 Like

Just when you think you have heard everything!!! A home birth that wasn’t disclosed?!!!

And one of the commenters even posted a potential new rule: “please no home births without disclosing this intention to the host.”

1 Like

This reminds me of ‘no room at the inn’, :slight_smile:
I very much doubt that I’d leave anyone, pregnant or not, without accommodation - or at least, arranging without finding alternatives for them. In this instance, and if I was worried, I’d at least have called Airbnb at once.

I think though that once I knew that she was going to have the baby imminently, I would want to know where!

In the end, the guest was abusive and needed to be shown the door, 38 weeks or not. Wonder what kind of mother she would make. Feel sorry for the dad.

Exactly! The donkeys and sheep are hidden around the block and the three extra male guests will turn up in the dead of night thinking it’s ok because they brought wine and chocolate.

4 Likes

I have had lots of PG ladies show up, (sometimes throwing up the whole time, ewwww) but none close enough to the end to drop the happy bundle on my futon. :grin::sweat_smile:Probably because someone that close to the end would not be allowed to fly in the first place.

If they did that, in a suitable quantity, they could have triplets in our rental and I wouldn’t bat an eyelid! :slight_smile:[quote=“konacoconutz, post:35, topic:14043”]
sometimes throwing up the whole time, ewwww
[/quote]

I truly could not cope with that. Every other bodily fluid is fine but not the v-word. I honestly would rather look after a lady giving birth!

Even though I rent a separate apartment, that is a sound that carries through the walls quite easily. :weary::dizzy_face::face_with_thermometer:

2 Likes

Infants don’t count in the headcount!

Maybe they’ll turn your pool of water into wine?

(But you know you’ll only get one star in the end)

4 Likes

Ah, the midwife visiting led me to believe that they were planning to have the baby in the home. Around here, you visit with the midwife where you will actually be giving birth. Perhaps it is different in other places.

I really can’t speak for here and now. When I gave birth (forty years ago - yikes!) it was usual to have a midwife visit in the later stages. But that was a long time ago and in the UK…

Bear in mind that this was the free National Health Service in England. I’ve no idea how things work for an expectant mother elsewhere,

But wasn’t the host in Ireland? There are two Irelands - one that is part of the UK and one that isn’t. I’m confusing myself now… :slight_smile: