One important note on female products

Lol. At its most basic, a strapline is a catchphrase.

1 Like

We have these items in the rental.

1 Like

We have public trash cans in Los Angeles. What I don’t understand is why @Zandra thinks you have to “roam the streets” to take trash to a public receptacle. We put ours in the bin the city issues each household which is located on the property and usually very easy to find. Mine is in our driveway, no more than thirty feet from the front door.

1 Like

I like these! I actually used to use something similar a while back and forgot about them - thabks for the reminder I’ll get some of these for my guests.

2 Likes

That was my experience of London! Loos and trash containers were not that common in public areas!

1 Like

You’re assuming everyone lives in a house with a drive and a bin out front.

In four and a half months of travelling, guess how many properties I’ve stayed in that follow that description? Yep, zero. All had been city flats where the bin store is somewhere not immediately obvious, and if you’re unlucky behind an electric fob (like mine). Public bins are rare to find. I recently stayed at a friends place in Berlin and wanted to put the rubbish out to be nice… could I find the bin store anywhere? Nope I could not, and I’d assumed it would be easy since we both lived in flats. I looked for the car park (since mine is at the back of the car park) but no bin store. I looked near the gates and a number of obvious places and then gave up. I had to take the rubbish back inside.

My current place on Mexico is also a block of flats. No idea where there bins are I can’t see an obvious place in this case either.

I don’t see any reason for this level of complication to dispose of an everyday item.

I don’t see any other hosts advocating disposing of these items anywhere but in the bin in the loo. I don’t get your issue EllenN. Did you not already say you provide a bin with a lid?

1 Like

I once wrote a brochure for the muffin monster. It was a system they use in wastewater plants to crunch the big muffins such as the dental floss snowball you’ve described that clog up sewer machinery.

2 Likes

Where do people in London empty the trash that they collect in the bins that they keep in the house or to phrase it another way from where does the city pick trash up? In Los Angeles, we all have these on our property so there is no “roaming the streets” looking for “public bins”. Therefore it is reasonable to ask guests to take any trash that would attract pets or pests out to the city cans. I believe that you require your guests to take their trash off of your property when they leave, so I assume that you don’t think my views are unreasonable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=los+angeles+city+trash+cans&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf0ujF2czQAhXhjlQKHSHZAZMQ_AUICSgC&biw=1304&bih=644

You know why public bins are so rare in the UK? Because of the fear the IRA would put bombs in them. It’s why you can never find a bin on the underground (although now they’re bringing to put clear plastic bags in some stations). We’re only just starting to put bins back on the streets.

Regarding public loos; yeah we are terrible for those and I can’t think why.

4 Likes

I don’t require my guests to remove the trash off the property because that would require them going to the bin store. Because of liability issues that’s not a place I would encourage my guests to go (there’s often crap everywhere, broken furniture waiting for the council to collect it etc, I wouldn’t want anyone falling, hurting themselves and then blaming me); I dispose of their rubbish for them.

1 Like

It appears that you are having a difficult time understanding how we dispose of trash in Los Angeles. The city issues each household large trash bins that look like the attachment. I keep mine in the driveway except on trash day when I wheel them out to the sidewalk. What the guest would do is take the trash can liner containing the trash out my front door, walk maybe 30 feet (about 9 meters) to our personal trash bins which are on our property and drop the trash can liner in the bin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=los+angeles+city+trash+cans&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf0ujF2czQAhXhjlQKHSHZAZMQ_AUICSgC&biw=1304&bih=644

1 Like

Oh! I guess everyone lives in Los Angeles EllenN and can dispose of rubbish the way you do. My bad silly me.

Remind me to take this up with council when I get back to London.

Plus your point about me having ‘a difficult time understanding’ … is there any reason I should be intimately acquainted with the bin system in LA? Last I checked I came from the U.K.

2 Likes

Ummh, because they’ve paid to stay in your place? Do you take out your own waste so your family doesn’t get offended and need smelling salts? I find it bizarre that you expect guests to behave in such a way.
Covering your shoulders in Europe?? What on earth?? Hilarious!
And in other news, who the hell allows their dog to get their nose into the bathroom bin? Dogs don’t belong in the bathroom, they should never have access to it. Just yeuch.

3 Likes

Yes, we both take the bathroom trash out whenever we use it and we take the kitchen trash out daily after dinner.

1 Like

Very true. I sometimes think that people in other countries don’t realise what we had to put up with. As regarding public loos - try finding one in New Orleans during Mardi Gras :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okaayy… I don’t really want to go there but I have to ask. So, just to be clear: when you replace a tampon before going to bed, you dutifully take the soiled one outside to the bin on the street? In your slippers and nightgown? And you expect your guests to do the same? I’m guessing not because that is beyond ridiculous. So what do you do? First thing in the morning, you empty the bathroom bin, yes? Fine. What exactly do you expect your guests to do? Nurse that soiled and apparently poisonous bit of bio-hazard under their bed all night and scurry out in the morning with it so that it doesn’t pollute your bathroom bin?

5 Likes

I provide little black plastic bags for disposing of these items. Cheap at the dollar store, sold for poop and scoop.

1 Like

Well yes, obviously. I do the same. So I don’t understand the problem you have. You said it was disrespectful for guests to leave such items in your bin.

Scrolling back in the thread to find the post (unsuccessfully) I realise I missed a whole lot of banter LOL @Zandra !

1 Like

@Magwitch it wasn’t @Louise that had the issue. The issue is with @EllenN and (on a different thread @Emily). (Largely this is a continuation from the thread that got locked, though @EllenN is keen to continue pressing the point here).

1 Like

Oops, yes you’re right Zandra. Sorry @Emily. Probably best to leave it now. We all have our own levels of tolerance, hygiene etc. There is no one best way. We are judged by our guests and if they don’t like it, well it will show!