Now working on my House Rules. Need help from the crew

What a hoot! You actually tell them what their color is? You are so organized.

Your system wouldn’t work for me because I’ve got a couple dozen towels and no 2 match! :))) Well, a couple sorta do…

2 Likes

I. love the name " good manners rules ". To be direct and easy to understand language. I am thinking as a guest or renter!

Reminder for me to check my drain in the one shower with the metal plate. Eek!!

1 Like

Do you have a pic of one online or your own? Not sure what you mean by slots. I might be interested in switching out what I currently have for cotton pads and q-tips.

Thanks

1 Like

I imagined something like this. I use these types of things [different materials] to organize the bits and bob drawer in my office:

Something like This

1 Like

Ok…I was thinking a dispenser type thing and that’s why I was confused with the word “slots.” My Q-tips and cotton pads are just in jars so basically you can’t be a germaphobe if you want to use them…lol

Just to add my hand towel experience. I have one of those little round towel holders hanging on the bathroom wall (near the sink) where the hand towel hangs. The expectation that I have always grown up with is that people will use the loo (the English is rubbing off on me :slight_smile: ) and wash their hands with soap and water. Then they will reach for the hand towel to dry off their hands. That’s it. There is no other purpose for a communal hand towel. This is in the main floor bathroom where many guests may be using the main floor bathroom.

Now in the ensuite bathroom upstairs I don’t have any hanging hand towel. I really can’t recall if one was not installed due to wall space or what. But if I rent to two couples, they likely won’t be sharing the ensuite bathroom. But I do store all my towels in one closet (guests need to pull out what they want). There are bath sheets, hand towels, and wash cloths. To my knowledge, people who use a “personal” hand towel use it to wipe off their face after face shaving, or maybe brushing teeth or something. But I would never think someone would use a communal hand towel to do anything but dry their hands.

Curious about this no wash cloth thing - do most guests travel with loofas to wash in the shower? Or maybe they just use their hands?

1 Like

Maybe I have a more vivid imagination :slight_smile:

I am not a germophobe by any means but I do think about the reasons why people want to wash their hands in the first place. After using the loo, of course, but in the last few hours I have washed my hands after taking out the rubbish, cleaning the cat box, wheeling the trash cans out onto the road…

I realise that guests probably haven’t done these things but they might have squeezed zits, ‘pleasured themselves’. thrown up. applied Preparation H, and more.

I have a horrible imagination :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can imagine all those things as well. I imagine the “germs” landing on walls, carpet, woodwork, rugs, upholstery, mirrors, door knobs, lamp switches, toilet brush, luggage racks, inside the refrigerator, window ledges and locks and more. I imagine people putting used cups back in the cupboard. I imagine them touching every container and dispenser in the bathroom, everything under the sink. I imagine having to sanitize every single thing in the room from wall to wall and floor to ceiling. But I don’t. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

But regardless…the hand towel is used to dry off yourself. My partner came in contact with possible rat shit the other day. I insisted he not touch the Dawn soap bottle and let me pour the soap onto his hands. And I would gladly touch the sink knobs to turn on the water. Then he is welcome to dry his hands with the clean towels…lol.

I do not think he would even take a personal hand towel and use if for stuff like wiping off rat shit. That is what rags are for.

1 Like

The difference between most of the places you’ve listed and towels is moisture. Bacteria require moisture to grow. The inside of the refrigerator is moist; that’s why the temperature in the refrigerator is supposed to be under 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Here is one of about a zillion articles pointing out how germ ridden hand towels are.

2 Likes

Given what the dogs bring into my house and put on my hands, on my face, on my bed, etc., hand towels are the least of my worries, if I had any concern about “germs,” which I don’t. I taught in public schools and I’m sure I was exposed to more germs there than are on my cell phone, dishtowel, money…

P.S. the sunglasses emoji is meant to denote an “I don’t care because I’m cool like that” emotion in a humorous, sarcastic way.

2 Likes

I don’t have to tell them. Their towels are on their beds when they check in.

2 Likes

I used to do that, but some still got towels mixed up. Which I suppose was understandable since, as I mentioned, none of my towels match! :)))

1 Like

Ah good - another hand towel aficionado! Ummm I always travel with my own scrubbing sheet (Japanese style) and a little plastic bag (also Japanese) to keep it in once it gets wet.

Last year in LA I found a scrub type thing where you put the soap bar inside it, pull the draw string tight and it’s ready to go which I also like for travelling as soap is handy because of liquid restrictions.

It’s honestly never crossed my mind that people would expect to be provided something for intimate use - it’s maybe even the case that I have been given a washcloth at some point and just didn’t even register it because the concept is so alien to me.

1 Like

Your post made me grin. It’s interesting because they say modern asthma is in part attributable to the desire to constantly disinfect everything thereby reducing your ability to cope with everyday allergens.

My only fear in the bathroom is peeing in the bath during a shower. I’m sure it happens. Even so I refuse to think about it and let it stop me from getting on with my day.

I was almost thinking this. Because providing wash cloths in hotels, etc. is as basic as supplying a regular bath towel to dry off with. I haven’t stayed in a hotel in many years, so unless something has changed then I would think the tiny towel may not have registered.

I have read that some run down Motel 6 type hotels, etc. - the owners don’t even supply any shampoo, conditioner, or body wash. That has always been a basic supply too. I can’t ever recall staying in any motel and that wasn’t provided.

1 Like

In the US yes perhaps - I’ve only ever been to New York and on Skid Row in LA and didn’t knowingly get one on either trip. (Well definitely not in my barely legal place on skid row. Possible I didn’t recognise that I was being given one in New York). I’ve never been given them anywhere else in the world and m I’m still not convinced giving out washcloths is standard anywhere else outside the US…

Indeed just checked with the Hilton here (because they’re a US brand so more likely to offer washcloths I guess…?) and it’s not standard. That’s on a £320 per night room. Tea making facilities, a robe and slippers yes. Washcloth no. They did say they’d be happy to arrange some for me though.

2 Likes

Lol!

Did you stay in a hostel in New York? I don’t know what is standard for hostels.