Now working on my House Rules. Need help from the crew

I don’t, but maybe I should! Will have to ponder this as I run after a one year old today.

1 Like

People wash and dry other parts of their body and dry those parts with the hand towel, like face… Nose.

Wash cloths are never for public use.

obviously this is a cultural difference. No-one would use a hand towel in a shared bathroom that way here. :slight_smile:

Interesting towel discussion! I wash the washcloths (small square “towels” one bathes with) with the sheets, which may also have come into contact with various body parts, yes? If I buy a towel set here in the US, it comes with 2 washcloths, 2 handtowels and 2 bath sheets. I have a newish washing machine with a good “hot” cycle. About the rules/guidance, I have a binder labeled “Welcome Book” with a sheet of “Tips For Your Stay.” (In addition to the aforementioned laminated signage!) Funny how a slight change in wording affects the perceptions.

1 Like

Oh Zandra…you never know what goes on behind closed bathroom doors :))))

And it is a cultural thing, but also it’s just individual behavior. I’ve got tons of wash cloths along with loads of hand towels and bath towels. Rarely does anyone use a wash cloth, and if they do it gets draped over something out of the way. Half my guests are American and the rest are from far flung parts of the globe.

The one thing that puzzles me is where they put the used bath towel. I reuse mine and most guests do too, so I try to figure out how to prevent them from using mine, which I now put in my bedroom.

The last two guys, a Canadian and presently a guy from Taiwan both put their wet towels back on top of the pile of clean ones on the shelf. ???

1 Like

In my house, each guest gets their own bath towel, hand towel and wash cloth. And on the counter for anyone to use is a container with slots containing small, round, makeup removing pads, q-tips and cotton balls.

I was just looking at reviews this morning. I have a guest coming who has stayed with a host in Carlsbad, NM. That host has stayed with me twice. As I’m looking at that host’s profile I see the top review says something along the lines of "we appreciated this and that but there was someone in and out of the house while we were there and it wasn’t a well maintained home. " That host is a “superho” with 240+ reviews and she gets this person, self described as staying in many airbnbs, who despite renting a room in someone’s home doesn’t understand there will be other people there? Or maybe she just objected to it being people other than the host? The host was out of town it seems.

I think maintenance is one of those things that can sometimes get overlooked. I had a guest who inspected my bathroom exhaust fan and proclaimed it wasn’t exhausting well enough because it was a cheap fan. He also told me he cleaned it for me. He recommended a $100 fan which isn’t happening anytime soon, if ever. He also recommends checking all the screws in the door hinges and knobs, electric outlets, curtain rods, blinds, etc. So we can add shower drain to that list. Odd, but good advice. Apparently I passed inspection other than the brand new exhaust fan in the bathroom with a window.

I do check the drains for hair and periodically run draino and or hot water to clear clogs and smells from the drains.

1 Like

Are you trying to convince me of the error of my ways? Just wondering what I’m expected to do with that information…

I give guests a hook in the bedroom and they can hang their bath towels off it so they dry.

Regarding the hand towel (and who knew it was so controversial) I’m not bothered if guests wipe their face on it. It’s just me and them and the towel is changed regularly. No big deal.

1 Like

No, of course not. I’m sorry you took it that way. I was just relating what I do in case it might be helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying … it’s hard to tell when people are telling or sharing sometimes … it’s the first time in almost two years that this has ever happened, so it’s not enough of an issue to start changing things. And since to date I’ve had two sets of Americans, I don’t need to worry about providing them with what they’re used to. When in Rome …:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed. For me, what’s important is that we do things the way they make sense to us. You don’t want to supply wash cloths the same way I don’t find it necessary to supply a European style electric kettle when we have a perfectly good American style stovetop kettle in our American home. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a hunch about this woman, so like you I dug into her review history. Pain in the REAR picky! You’ll have to let us know how your guest turns out.

So this woman crabbing about hair in the drain, all of her reviews were lengthy, going into minute detail about parking, furnishings, etc. She was one of those “pro/con” style of review writers.

There was no visible hair in the grate or on the floor of the shower because I’d vacuumed it and wiped it all down a couple of times. Gotta walk up to the hardware store and get those screws. I feel lucky the kitchenette and other areas passed muster! She did suggest I get a sofa and some more furnishings. Haaaaa!!!

Toooo funny! The fix-it man!!! What a quirky guy!

Like you I’m not at all bothered by any of these things–towel use, storage, etc. It can be very amusing and entertaining to observe people’s habits.

I had one American guy who was here for a full week. He was very fastidious and insisted on using a clean bath towel each time he showered, which was sometimes twice a day. “I don’t like to reuse towels because germs grow on wet towels.” he said. BUT he blew his nose several times a day on a hanky that he kept in his back pocket??!?!!?

3 Likes

My guest is not the one who gave the picky review. My guest gave a good review and has 25 good reviews from hosts.

I’ve now had three cases of having something in common with a guest via Airbnb. This upcoming guest who stayed with one of my guests and in the past I had a guest who was great here but gave a bad review to someone I had met. I can’t recall if it was another guest of mine or another host whose review I read because of this forum. I’ve had a common guest with the Albuquerque host who sometimes posts here. You remember that whole 6 degrees of separation thing? I think within the US it’s more like 3.

2 Likes

Pardon me for not reading carefully! :slight_smile:

Yes, I do believe in that 6 degrees notion. We are all more connected than we realize. This is what’s so much fun about hosting–all the interesting people. Well, MOST of them :)))

Yesterday a French/Jewish friend of mine was dying to meet a Jewish guest from Brussels I’m hosting at the moment. He’s come for a classical guitar competition. He’s charming and good natured so I didn’t feel too bad about knocking on his door and introducing my friend.

They gabbed for some time in French before I interrupted so he could get back to practicing and we could go to lunch. They apparently had mutual connections in Israel. We may go to his concert.

2 Likes

My plumber recommends pouring boiling water down all the drains once a week. Between that and my drain snake for hair, I haven’t had to use Drano in 4 years.

4 Likes

On behalf of Canadians I apologize for this slob! Most of us are quite civilized.

3 Likes

I love stereotypes! lol…And btw I would have to agree with you! :)))

1 Like

Like someone else here (sorry, I forgot who), we color-code our towels. Both of our bathrooms are shared, and the light green set is ours. We bought sets of towels in many colors, and each guest gets their own color, so everyone knows which ones are theres.

1 Like