Now working on my House Rules. Need help from the crew

She is English and understands what I mean when I say hand towel. So she can therefore confirm if she’s seen it in other homes in the U.S.

Paper is not standard here … @jaquo has some familiarity with what is standard in the U.K and what is standard in the states.

1 Like

@jaquo lives in Florida. I live in Southern California. The standards are different.

1 Like

I am envisioning tip-toeing through a doily-filled house, the faint scent of potpourri, creaking floors and speaking in a louder voice so she can hear me.

3 Likes

Interesting. So hand towel usage varies from state to state. Ok. Well in this case I would have liked them to think… there’s one towel and three people need to use it. Maybe smearing my makeup all over it isn’t the best thing…I will ask for a wash cloth.

Not that I would have wanted to give her one, as then what do I do with the sopping wet piece of material ?

Where’s keyboard cat when I need him …

I had so much trouble when i stayed with a nice lady in London and she asked if i needed a flannel.
Blink.
I have a sweater, thanks, I don’t need a flannel (thinking flannel blanket, or maybe flannel sweater)
Finally we worked out that her flannel was my washcloth.
I use washcloths (or, if feeling fancy, a body puff) in the shower to wash everywhere.
Each person in the house has their own bath towel (I get the huge 75" “bath sheet” size. They are wonderful) and guests get color coded ones (purple towels, red washcloths)

But there is a shared hand towel that hangs in the bathroom on the wall that everyone uses after they’ve washed their hands. It gets changed out once every couple of days, or as soon as I see dirt on it, whichever comes first. I try to use nice ones when guests are here, but sometimes we use old Thomas the Tank Engine baby towels. Authentic NYC family experience, that’s me.

3 Likes

We keep our washcloths in the shower once they are wet.

Yes, there are many cultural differences in the different states. The most pronounced ones are between southern states and northern states. Many southerners still call the civil war, “The War of Northern Aggression.”

Doily-> dolly (well, action figures)
Potpourri -> poopy diapers

… that’s about right. Our stairs creak something fierce.

:slight_smile: glad someone else uses the shared hand towel; I wondered if it was some archaic system I hadn’t realised had gone out of fashion.

Yes to me washcloths are personal items; personally these aren’t something I want to supply… or indeed touch after they’ve been used.

2 Likes

Any hotel in the USA will provide a bath towel, hand towel, and a wash cloth. Sometimes you get two bath towels per person. The fact that some AirBNB in LA’s skid row didn’t provide a full set isn’t indicative.

The only shared towels in my house are in the half bath where no one is washing up. I removed it every two days [or so] and put out a fresh one. There are also clean ones in a basket in case a guests [not just AirBNB, but like friends] wants or needs one that hasn’t been touched by another human.

2 Likes

I stayed in a hotel in New York. This was 2012 but I assume washcloths were the rage then as well?

My laundry hamper has little bars on the sides. I dry them there before putting them in with the rest of the laundry.

I’m chuckling over your use of the word “blink” as a reaction. That is so darn cute…and perfect! (I’m keepin’ it to use in the future sometime.)

2 Likes

Where do you put guest wash cloths ? Not that it matters too much. I find the thought of them (when used by other people) slightly icky…

I put their (nicely rolled, because I can’t get folded to look good) towels and washcloths in their room. They have hangars on the bedroom door, some put their towels there to dry. Others leave them in the bathroom. That’s why they get particular colors, so no one else accidentally uses them if they leave them in the bathroom.

Mmmm yep I can see why the colours would matter in that situation. Well - we have them here but they’re not massively popular. Most use a body poof type thing. I prefer to use a wood body brush… and on my face I use a sonic brush.

2 Likes

Many people here use washcloths for the parts they keep in their underwear. A poof type thing or a body brush would be mighty uncomfortable for that. We have a hand held shower head so we only use washcloths for the parts above our necks.

1 Like

They aren’t a rage, They have never been a rage. They just are. Always have been. In France they are called gant de main, if that helps you understand.

Also, a full [and very ugly set] on BB&B. You can get the sizes here.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/croscill-reg-dante-hand-towel-in-champagne/1016143952

Yes another reason I don’t want to touch one someone else has used.

I understand what they are. My point is I have never been given one …and I have travelled widely so I would have expected it to have been supplied at least once if it was hugely mainstream.

Is this due to the small size of your apartment? Or you do laundry daily? That really doesn’t seem like enough even if just ordinary use.