Noob host: Guest keeps demanding stuff - please advise

Can you edit as many times as necessary if he hasn’t left a review yet? I think you need to mention that after you granted him an extra day for free (because you agreed to him arriving at 7:30 a.m.) - then he still tried to get a second day for free.

Just remember that he will have a chance to reply to your review. So you want to be very clear in your review and try to predict his counterclaims.

You do realize by allowing him in at 7:30 you could not rent the previous day to anyone else. This was a horrible guest. In essence, he was trying to get two free days out of you.

5 Likes

I wonder if 5 out 9 good reviews for Mike-who -just -would-not-leave came from someone who thinks past is past and it would never happened again.

4 Likes

So how many poor reviews make you unhostable on Airbnb? Are you just ignored by potential host and eventually you fade away? Or is it like low star hosts… keep this up and we will strike you off?

1 Like

No a guest can go for as long as hosts will accept them. There are several hosts on instant book that don’t even select ‘recommended by other hosts’.

Yeah, this is a good question. You know, I recently got a booking request from a woman who had been on airBNB for several months, but had no reviews. I asked her if she was new - I’ve hosted some new folks and its been fine - but she said that she had actually used it several times this year. I ended up declining her because I assumed that people had decided “well, she was only mildly annoying and it’s now over,” and purposefully left a not-good review. I feel kinda bad about it, but I typically have my choice of guests. Do other hosts not leave reviews often??

i actually hosted an Air rep recently and they didn’t leave a review, which I was kind of miffed about, since I am sub-10 reviews right now.

Soooo in Airbnb’s eyes a guest can do no wrong and a host only has to look the wrong way, get a poor review and be threatened with delisting unless they improve… weighted against the host somewhat!
So this makes the guest review extremely important… and of course the guest could always start a brand new profile…

1 Like

I’m one of them - I suppose that I’m a gambler and just like to see what life brings. :slight_smile:
To date, it’s been fun.[quote=“sweep27, post:108, topic:13956”]
i actually hosted an Air rep recently and they didn’t leave a review, which I was kind of miffed about, since I am sub-10 reviews right now.
[/quote]

I suspect, but don’t take this as gospel, that if a guest doesn’t leave a review it’s because they really weren’t happy enough to have anything to say.

On the other hand, we have to remember that when guests get back to their ordinary day-to-day lives, leaving a review is not a priority for them. Sometimes they have moved on to a new location and are excited about their new place.

We had guests once who didn’t leave a review - hardly surprising because on their last night here they learned that his mother had died. They had too much to deal with when they got home - writing a review was the last thing on their priority list.

There are so many reasons why a guest doesn’t leave a review and it’s not always a negative statement about you or your property.

Nah - he said he loved it and was recommending it to other folks he works with, because they come to my town so often. He was not good at the comms, generally. And, despite only 8 reviews, I am 5/5 all the way.

Most guests say something like that. I had an Australian guy about two years ago who said that he was working in a local (near here) office and that he would recommend us to absolutely everyone who came over on business here from his company.

It never happened.

Most guests will gush to your face but it doesn’t always equate to good reviews and recommendations. Truly.

3 Likes

That’s not something that is really possible on this forum!

5 Likes

My comment wasn’t political, but a comment on assuming competence based on holding a degree. Some of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs and political leaders had no university degrees. Winston Churchill and the Duke of Wellington were both considered dunces in the formal education system of their respective times. Steve Jobs, Apple and Ray Kroc, McDonalds, were both highly successful, though neither held a degree.

4 Likes

You have my most sincere empathy. . :slightly_frowning_face:

I recently pulled two reviews before the 14 days were up. ( I like to do them right away.) it started to be clear they weren’t going to leave a review, although I had done many extra things for these guests. It just pissed me off. They were new users and needed the reviews; whereas, I didn’t really need their reviews, although I had expected rave ones. I think this is part of the it’s just a hotel mentality. One of them talked like she’d used Airbnb a lot, yet she only had one review. I think that’s why: she didn’t bother reviewing, so the host didn’t either.

1 Like

Something weird is happening.
Someone tries to low-ball me on Airbnb by saying they will rent my place for $100/week from May 24 to 31.
I kindly rejected the offer.
The same guy asks for exact location of my apartment. I said it will be visible once a booking is done.
2 minutes later I get a weird booking for the SAME date from booking.com, but the booker is listed as a local (very weird). The guy who low-balled me was from the US.
I message the local on booking.com, no reply.
I try to call the provided local mobile number, the number belongs to someones else!
Any clue?

As soon as I saw your reasoning for leaving a good review I figured you didn’t know how it worked with reviews on AirBnB. I found out through the review system. This is the first sentence you read when you go in to leave your review for a guest.
,‘You and your guest will only see your feedback from this trip once you have both completed a review’

Hopefully you can change the review but you are really going to have to plead your case. I understand from this forum it may be difficult if not impossible and depends on the rep you get.

It’s happened to me before mine is max 4 they turned up with an extra kid so I let it slide if it was an adult I would have said something. Also the other things they asked are just usual I always get asked for heater towels, iron that’s you job to provide stuff to host them.

But definitely stop the last night aend a request on airbnb to change the dates and if they don’t accept tell them
They have to leave.

One thing I have learned is to leave honest but polite reviews so other hosts can make up their own mind. I’ve often thought we should have a code like “personable and warm” for “piece of work” we add at the end of the reviews.

4 Likes

As previously discussed in other threads, code words don’t work. As it is people think, “it doesn’t apply to me.” Just stick to the facts and don’t get emotional with statements about you you feel. “Guest requested permission to check in early and it was granted.” Not “guest was entitled and disrespectful.” Polite reviews about impolite behavior isn’t helping anyone.

3 Likes

Think about the times you have received a request and are in a hurry… you check through the reviews and appreciate the straightforward ones that tell the truth. We should do the same for other hosts!

3 Likes

I am pretty sure he wrote the noise part just to say something negative. I am very confident I do not have the noise level he’s talking about.
Knowing that he came with 3 kids and wife, I’m not sure he was able to hear anything from outside lol.
So should I reply?