Noob host: Guest keeps demanding stuff - please advise

Update: after so many days of not hearing from the guest, I got a missed call from him.
I will call back and see what’s up.
For some reason I get pretty uncomfortable everytime this guest calls.

Alright, nothing serious LOL.
I’ll be picking the keys up at 5:15AM tomorrow morning.

3 Likes

Waiting for your update when possible.
i.e. how many socks under the bed?! etc

Alright, the guest moved out at 5:30AM this morning.
I was there to receive the keys.
Everything was alright other than some stains on the walls which I cleaned.
Left him a good review.
This wasn’t the most pleasant experience, but I didn’t want to make a fuss about it and just prefer to move on to the next guest with some nice experience in my pocket.

Hi @ Renter

It’s important to leave honest but fair reviews, so other hosts considering these guests can make a judgement call on what they are like to host.

While mentioning the good things about the guest it would have been better to also mention the requested early check in, turning up with more guests than had booked, and wanting to stay an extra day at no cost.

1 Like

Why would you leave him a good review??? Have you learned nothing from these pages?? :laughing::clap::rofl:

5 Likes

Sigh. Why couldn’t you let your fellow host know he tries to cram 5 people into a listing for 2 and get an extra day for free?

4 Likes

Calm down people.
He was my guest and I dealt with him.
I managed to make him pay an extra day, and other than that nothing happened.
He learned his lesson and won’t play the same game again.
I got my apartment in one piece and they never stole anything.
It would be harsh to make a fuss about it as it’s in the past now.

Really? You’ve had two bookings and now you’re the expert on how to review? SMH.

6 Likes

I’ve had two bookings, but I hold an MBA and have worked in the customer service department of at least two major companies.
So not that stupid am I?

I didn’t call you stupid. I’m talking about the way Airbnb’s review system works and the importance of honest reviews to the system. Several experienced hosts took their time to advise you in this case and your thanks is to give this person a free pass to book with others. Some of us allow instant book only for people with good reviews. You say he’s “learned his lesson and won’t play the same game again.” How did he learn his lesson? He put five people in a place for 2. Sounds like he got what he wanted and learned he can do it again.

11 Likes

I read the OP and a few great replies immediately following it with solid advice on how to handle guests who are deceitful. I fast forward to this :[quote=“renter101, post:66, topic:13956”]
Left him a good review.
[/quote]

Unless I missed something, I think all that advice from veterans was wasted here…

6 Likes

All the great advice was invested into my dealing with the guest.
Honestly people, if you don’t like it please provide the review you want when you host this guest.
He did not cross my red lines.
Knowing that I’m from a different country with a different culture, my red lines won’t be the same as your red lines somewhere in the states or I don’t know where.

Are you bullying? or getting personal?
I guess so. Let me take the necessary steps then.

Sure thats a valid point, however you could still mentioned this person’s behavior so that other hosts whose lines he may cross know what to expect. Reviews benefit both guests and hosts.

1 Like

Sorry but I’m going to be harsh again here. Your previous experience with customer service counts for nothing now that you’re an Airbnb host.

Let me give you a case in point; I started hosting in the 1980s (a traditional B & B) and have hosted ever since including our own STR which we now have on Airbnb. Therefore I think that I have enough experience of ‘old-style’ hosting and Airbnb but believe me. hosting on Airbnb is unlike anything you’ve ever done before.

You have had a guest who was enough of a problem for you that you were compelled to join this forum and post at length about your woes with this person. And now you have given him a good review. That is not being a responsible host.

I’m sure that it’s because you’re new and you don’t understand the system but as far as you saying:

Yes, it’s in your past. But what about future hosts? I’m sure that you don’t mean to be selfish but it comes across that way when you say that it’s over for you. It implies that you only care about yourself and not the rest of us. We hosts have a duty to report accurately about our guests.

As you’re new you probably didn’t realise this but it’s essential to the way that Airbnb works. Review guests factually and honestly to allow future hosts to make their hosting decisions wisely.

10 Likes

Maybe the MBA was from the same school that the current President of the USA attended.

4 Likes

Is this a new business strategy? Let the customer decide if another day should be paid for? When checkin time starts? I’m not an MBA, but maybe if this works for you, you can come back in a year and share your stats?

1 Like

Look, you have to look at it from different angles.
If Airbnb had a way to safeguard my well-deserved 5-star review from this guest, and giving him a 2 or 3-star or mentioning that he did this won’t affect my well-deserved 5-star review, then I would have done that straight.
But since Airbnb has no way of ensuring what I deserve, you have to look at it from my point of view too.
I’m sorry that Airbnb’s system encourages these kind of things, and I’m sorry if the coming host will have to take it like I did from this guest (he instant-booked, means he had good reviews).
So until Airbnb comes up with a fix for the above-mentioned, don’t blame me. ok?
If I had to choose between two priorities, one being me getting what I deserve and two being alerting a potential host about this guest, I would choose ONE.

No, it’s not a new strategy, and please stick to the strategy you find most convenient.

1 Like