New Notice Regarding Pricing From Airbnb

You MUST be a hypocrite Republican. On the one hand you want everyone to obey laws and you want free market to do whatever you think you should do, but then when they do and it interferes with your perception then they are the bad guys. You are one sick puppy. If you don’t like how the free market works, go suck on a lemon.

What? I read your post and found myself wondering what on earth you were talking about and why @jaquo featured so prominently in your rant.

What you say may be true but that is how the free market works. Everyone wants to rent their unit and there is plenty of competition. Next you will be ranting about the prices at the various hotels and motels competing with Airbnb hosts. I’m no different than others in that I have space available and willing for someone to use it at a price which covers my costs. I’m not looking to gouge customers just so that others stay in business. The saying “If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.” still applies. If you don’t like the situation, go cry to someone who cares.

Oh yeah!!! I remember this guy!

Robert_Dudley13h
No. You get out. Anyone who is foolish enough to believe that they only way they can sell their one stinking week is to price themselves lower than “The Competition” hasn’t got a clue. But then again, what can you expect from a clown who believes he is buying Kona Coffee for ten bucks a pound.

Here… Do yourself a favor. http://timesharerelief.com/2

Robert, my siblings and I do have to get rid of a timeshare in Palm Desert. Do you recommend this company or know anything about them? We don’t want to get scammed.

When I first joined last year I put low prices like they recommended. Since then I have been gradually increasing, and now the rates I am getting are 10-20% higher than I was getting under the previous sites I used (HA, TA) and the occupancy is up from 60% to 80%. Plus the system is so well designed and easy to use and the guests seem more pleasant too. So I will forgive them the odd annoying message, since what they have added to my business is much appreciated

1 Like

literally suggesting I go down to $10-20/night ummmmm no thanks weirdos

4 Likes

Wow, they are really pushing their prices hard.

You need to pay the taxes. It’s the right thing to do. We always pay it. It’s easier

Out of curiosity, I went to my new listing and dropped the base rate to Airbnb’s “recommended” rate (That pops up discretely under the box where you enter your rate)
Refreshed.
Suddenly their “recommended” rate was $10 less than my new super low price.

So, fwiw, more anecdata that Airbnb’s recommendation is not based on anything except “lower”

3 Likes

I thought that I was the ONLY person who had noticed this. Yes. Lower is always better for AirBNB, though at the moment I have about 10 open dates between now and the end of October, and they are suggesting HIGHER prices for a few of those nights. That is new. I know what my place is worth, and don’t plan to go either higher or lower.

1 Like

I was trying to be open minded, since I went from fully booked in May to crickets for June.

Otoh, it looks like we might finally be able to schedule some house maintenance work (repointing! Flashing! Oooo!), so I’ll snooze the listing if I can confirm dates with the construction guys. Maybe it bring unavailable will drive up interest. Snerk.

:: snerk back at ya’ ::

I have most of September blocked for a front porch repair, but we have recently decided to go more “quick and dirty” and do our front steps only. And do it ourselves. So maybe I will open up those dates, or maybe I will travel myself.

I am still too nervous to rent the whole house, even though it would be worth a ton of money.

1 Like

Radical change of subject: what are you doing with your steps? I’m halfway through patching the concrete risers on mine. This is my first time working with concrete and I’m ridiculously proud of myself.

Ah. My porch… it is rotting away. And the grade of the lot is wrong. Water runs towards the fieldstone foundation. Our stripped down plan is to rebuild the step footers, and then replace the strides and floorboards with new wood. Lost in the project is re-grading, re-landscaping, no handrail addition, wrap around porch will be patched instead of being totally rebuilt. The quotes were shocking so we wait.

Fresh paint and no rotting wood will be a huge improvement. I am still trying to figure out how we can add a handrail without all the other work.

Based on construction at my own home 1.5 year ago I will say you may not have to block off dates, just lower price and put in description. I didn’t get as many bookings but some money was better than none.

If this is in response to me, not having a front door makes the idea of hosting guests scary during construction. Around here, they start with the saws and noise at 7AM sharp and then continue until at least 8PM. No one wants to listen to this all day. I would find that terribly stressful.

When we do the work ourselves, we can delay the beginning of the day to 9AM and finish when folks return at the end of the day.

1 Like

It was to both of you. [quote=“anon67190644, post:54, topic:12126”]
I would find that terribly stressful.
[/quote]

And that’s the bottom line, it’s not about the guest. Also your place is much nicer than mine and different in other ways so the expectations of the guests are different. Thinking about it again I’d probably block off my calendar if I had your place.

I am not sure that my place is nicer, but I am targeting a different type of guest. The expectations are different as is the price point.

For example, I would stay in your place in a heartbeat. But realistically, I wouldn’t move into your place for five days. For that, I need a kitchen. Though, one of my most favorite AirBNB guests lives quite close to you and I have been promised a full Persian feast if I ever visit. Maybe I should make a detour. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What?! What are you waiting for?