New listing, no bookings. Is anything wrong?

New listing, no bookings (2 days). The price is super low (set automatically). Please, is anything wrong? I know Its ultra-low season. Thank you very much for every idea! https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15255060

I don’t see anything obviously wrong. I know we have had other Prague hosts complain that it’s slow. Two days is not long. I would suggest raising your price. Some people searching for an entire apartment might have their prices set above yours to filter the search results. Also your calendar is only open for 3 months. It’s not too soon for foreign vacationers to start booking summer dates. But raise your price for summer to what comparable places rent for in summer.

2 Likes

How long has your listing been up? For perspective, I first listed on the 18th April 2016, and my first booking was for 11th May. They weren’t exactly beating down my door.
I don’t know if this is typical, it probably depends on the space, the photos, and location and a bunch of other factors. But if you are new with no reviews, it can take a little time to get going.

And having looked at your photos, I think they could be improved. Not that I’m an expert in this, or anything like that. Some of those photos look a little cluttery. How large is your apartment? Does the outside of the building look good? If so, you could consider including one of that. Also, do you have a good view from out a window? You could include that.

Plus your price might be a bit low for the location. What are people around you charging for similar stuff? You want to try to be in the middle of the pack. Not too low, not too high.

2 Likes

Many thanks, price raised a little, with the summer I will wait a bit.

Faheem, many thanks. Its listed just for 2 days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Two days isn’t that long on a low season.

I notice it states you have 3 beds, but you only list a sofa bed and king bed. So I would say that you have 2 beds for 3 people.

Ash, many thanks, fixed!

1 Like

Oh my god… My listing has been up for twenty days and I’ve had no bookings. Since yesterday I was starting to feel very anxious about this; but now reading this thread I’m positively freaking out… LOL

Seriously - I wonder how long have the more experienced hosts waited for bookings to start? Do you think there’s some sort of average tendency, or is it entirely depending on local markets/seasons?

It only depends on the region. In all my listings, inquiries and bookings started some hours after the listing was online.

:scream: hours!!! Oh dear.

Is your area a well known tourist destination? Would that be the reason, in your view?

Oh… that’s more like my case (listed since Jan 16th, no bookings yet). And please, do you happen to remember how may days after the listing was up the booking request got to you?

This is a new perspective for me, I’m rather reassured to read this. So, in your case, would you say you didn’t perceive the ‘new host boost’ advantages so much?

As I said before in another topic:
Be “creative” and get yourself a first excellent review. It isn’t all that difficult :grin:, and will get you started :blush:. And it doesn’t have to be at full price, you can send a special offer to your “special guest” :relieved:.

Two days is nothing ! It looks really nice, I would stay in your place any time.
Make sure to put in an extra cost for extra guests.

1 Like

Yes, tourist destination. 95% of my guests are tourists, the rest expats who move here and are just settling in.

Right - I guess this must have a lot of influence.

I wonder if it is more normal for listings in places that are not primarily touristic destinations to wait a little longer to start being booked?

I’m in São Paulo (Brazil); big city, no beach or pretty attractions :blush:, mainly a destination for business/conventions/stop-overs (and theatre, museums, food-scene & shopping, for local travellers). I don’t think there’s anybody else in the forum from here? Or from other large city with a lower touristic profile?

Oleg,

Having just returned from holiday in Prague, let me give you a couple of suggestions. You should say where you are? I can’t even tell from the map if you are in Prague 1 or not? I just stayed 12 nights in Prague 10 at a hotel. It was $51 USD per night over New Years. Now, their rates are $28. It was 15 mins from the center on the 6. Super easy.

So to give you some advice. You must change the title. It doesn’t make sense. What is running?

You might want to say something about the interior and what the apartment has to offer…and how far to Tram. In the listing copy, say which tram. You might also want to get them started with a 90 minute pass and then tell them what station they need to get to to buy them. Our hotel sold those but we quickly discovered we got the best deal by buying a month long pass at the main station. Visitors to Prague don’t want to fret about how to use the trams… know what I mean? Reassure them you can get them started with the 90-minute pass. Our hotel sold them, you could do the same or include them.

Show some photos of Prague in the snow!!! It’s a selling point!! What an enchanting city. Your beer is awesome! We loved it. We will be back!

1 Like

I just looked at your listing and learned you are in Bombaim, @faheem - so, a big city too. Maybe this starts to form a pattern; bigger cities, longer time to get bookings? Although certainly Bombaim is much more a visitors’ destination than São Paulo; there my analogy falls…

(what a lovely place you have by the way)

Hi @MaMa,

I don’t have to remember, I keep all emails, including Airbnb ones. :slight_smile: I don’t think this is significant in any way, but I received the booking request on the early morning of the 9th of May (1:42 am), Two days before the commencement of the reservation. It looks like I accepted it almost immediately, shortly after 2 am.

This reservation was unusual in two ways. The initial request was completely blank. That has to date not happened again. The guests initially booked for 2 days, but wound up staying nearly a month, in two different visits with a short break in between. I didn’t realise how unusual this was. Since then it’s been mostly short visits; with an average length of 3 days or so.

They’re Indians, and in fact local, a fact which was not apparent to me at the time.

Probably not. And I think people overstate the usefulness of this “new host boost”. It just meaning your listing is more visible. It doesn’t mean people are going to book it. People decide to book from a combination of factors, including reviews, photos, what the host has written in the listing, and the host policies.

If you want some advice, I’d not rely too much on Airbnb. If you have the time and energy, I’d (a) list on other sites (b) start setting up your own web site (c) consider whether you will be able to advertise on social media. @jaquo is our expert on this. (a) and (b), at least, are conventional wisdom on this site. And I haven’t done any of (a), (b) or (c), so this is a case where I should probably be taking my own advice. :slight_smile:

I think it depends on the local conditions, including the local Airbnb competition. Bombay has (very approximately) 1200 Airbnb listings. And a lot of other places to stay which aren’t Airbnb. But it also gets a ton of traffic - it’s a very busy place.

Thanks! It isn’t really mine, though. :slight_smile:

BTW, if you post your listing, folks here can probably give you tips…

Also… Oleg… the word “cyclopath” comes up, and i think you ought to think of changing it…
It’s not really an English word and at first I thought I was reading “psycopath.” :laughing: Apartment is ideal for psychopaths!" :laughing:

Just teasing you… but think about it… most of us going to Prague aren’t going to run the bike trails in residential neighborhoods… we are going to see the castles, have the beer and walk along the Charles bridge! And much more!

Sell the location… AND the time of year! We loved the snow…And the beer, did I mention we loved the beer?

2 Likes

Oh yes it’s significant to me - it means you waited for a long time before any request even came to your box (not to mention, waited for the booking to start); but in the end all went well and now you are a successful host :wink:

Very interesting. I’ve been desperate about having lost this famous boost; but maybe it’s not my main problem. This is good (because, losing the boost was a hard problem to reverse, the others may be solvable).

I don’t know how many Airbnbs they have here in SP… I’m guessing many (I don’t know how to find this out). Well in my close neighbourhood (like, three blocks all around my apartment) I’ve counted about 20 - most with lots of reviews and stars. The ‘most starred’ one is just across the street in fact (this confirms to me it’s a good street, if I want to see the bright side).

Thank you! I’m still a little shy for that step but I’m working on it internally LOL

Really, thank you for your thoughtful answers.

Also, I’m not sure I should be writing so much on this thread with my worries, maybe I’m hijacking the OP? Sorry OP not my intention. I’m not completely sure of the ‘ways’ of posting in the forum yet. :grimacing:

Unfortunately, being a successful Airbnb host is like being a successful bandit in one important respect. Neither of them are stable professions. :slight_smile:

I think https://smartbnb.io/ has some data (I don’t know how accurate it is) about this. Check out the free report.

Sounds busy.

Probably not a big deal - this isn’t the most orderly forum. Having said that, it would be entirely reasonable to create your own topic/thread if there was something you wanted to discuss.

And one more thing - it’s easy to search for your own listing on Airbnb. See where you are ranked. Make sure you are logged out, otherwise you’ll automatically be at the top.