New cancellation policies... and increased host fees!

Um, yes; companies are in business to make money. Why do so many posters here think Airbnb is evil for maximizing profit? After all, we’re hosting to make money.

These updates do not improve the experience for the guest at any level.

The only thing they do is lower the threshold for booking. “Hey give us your money now, you can always get it back without penalty at a later moment if you change your mind.”

Aaaahhhh… this would be ideal for guests that need to get rid of some money at years end for tax purposes. Book 20th december, and hand over 10k to AirBnB. Get it back in January… :sunglasses:

Well I can’t speak for anyone else but I do not think Air is evil for maximizing profit. Do I like their changes?? Of course not. But I am well aware that it’s my decision to list my property with them.

I have stated many times on this forum to not become dependent on Air because at any time they can change the policies and increase fees. They are just like all the other listing sites that are A/B testing to see the most they can squeeze out of each transaction. I have also credited the founders for doing a damn good job of convincing hosts to be scared to take bookings outside of their system.

1 Like

[quote=“EllenN, post:25, topic:8322, full:true”]
Why do so many posters here think Airbnb is evil for maximizing profit? [/quote]

Because AirBnB claims they are not in it for the money. They are about “sharing”, not making money, they want to help people make ends meet. They want want people to meet, interact etc etc bla bla bla.

Nobody has a problem with them making money, but most host have a problem with their lies, and how they treat hosts.

5 Likes

I think these changes will have the biggest impact on locations that are very weather-contingent. I can see lots of cancellations from guests who are driving for a weekend getaway and then see a rain or snow forecast. I don’t think there will be a huge cancellation/re-booking game since availability is the greatest the further you are from the arrival date. Most of my guests say that it was such a hassle to work their way through so many listings that they are relieved to have the process done. OCD types might still keep checking dates to see if something they like better pops up but I would think that the system will at least force a guest to cancel a booking before being allowed to book another place for the same dates.

I had the same guest book 2 of my rooms for the same dates. One for him and his girlfriend, ad the other for his parents. I was surprised the system allowed it.

That is my biggest fear.
Get a booking half a year in advance for Christmas or New Year, and then a cancellation 2 days before arrival because somewhere on tv, someone said, the snow conditions are bad.

Shoots. True! In that case you would get 50per cent right?

Yes, and 50% of a €3500 booking is an awful lot. :fearful:

1 Like

When they hit us US hosts with this–and they WILL-- I wonder if the announcement will still be “Sent with Love from Airbnb.”

4 Likes

Hello everybody, because we are very scared in Italy about these new policies that will be applied from the 18th of October 2016 , can I ask you all, if agree, to sign the petition and to share on facebook or twitter or between friends, to make all the people sign? Thank you!

1 Like

If you haven’t already, I think one of you needs to make a post on the Homeaway Forum, and let U.S. owners know you have confirmed with Italy Airbnb that these changes will roll out globally, if it works in Italy. There are a lot of people on there who joined Airbnb after they got fed up with Homeaway’s changes.

I would suggest one of you making the initial post, and explaining the changes with the cancellation policies. Most of the owners on that forum all have whole vacation rentals…so it is likely 99% are on the strict cancellation policy. The moderator may need to take some time to approve new posters. And then the rest of you need to comment to keep the thread moving to the top.

Many owners on that forum currently only list their slow season on Airbnb. That is because the current cancellation policies are too relaxed during the peak season.

Google “Homeaway community forum” and it will pop right up.

1 Like

Isn’t that a totally different listing site? Why do you think discussing AirBNB on HomeAway would be effective?

Yes, it is totally different listing site. But they are now also allowing bedroom rentals, and I believe some hotels too. The latter hasn’t gained much traction though. VRBO used to be a site only for vacation rentals by owner. Then Homeaway bought them and also many smaller sites to buy up the competition, and now allows huge property managers, etc.

But just like this forum, they also discuss Flipkey, Booking.com, Airbnb, etc. I suggested it only because many people who have listed on VRBO/Homeaway for many years…and only recently joined Airbnb - they only participate in the Homeaway forum. So it is likely they have no idea of the changes coming their way.

It may or may not be effective. Homeaway is already tinkering around with set cancellation policies, where before owners set their own cancellation policies. They will follow suit with Air. But many people on Homeaway seem to be walking around with their blinders on.

My main concern is, I have seen many posts on this forum of people with a strict or moderate cancellation policy who have had a last minute cancellation and Air refunds 100%. So what good is that 4-5% commission to Air for them? What kind of recourse do they have, because you know Air reps will still always side with the guest and those hosts will be paying more and get nothing for it. The “safety net” of a moderate or strict cancellation policy has always been flimsy at best, mostly just a deterrent on the front end at booking to discourage guests who may not be set on your location. These guests already know the excuses to make. So hosts will be paying more for nothing.

2 Likes

by the way, if you are on Reddit… there is a thread also over there www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/546iz2/airbnb_is_changing_its_cancellation_policies_and/

Considering that Airbnb will now be losing revenue with each cancellation; they will not accept such flimsy excuses as they have in the past.

One can hope anyway. Considering many of these cancellations on the host end will probably be booked at another place, Air may not care. They’ll still be keeping their “extenuating circumstances” policy which will screw hosts whether they pay 3-5% anyway. It definitely wouldn’t be worth it to me to pay extra for a stricter cancellation policy at any rate. Which is exactly what they want.

1 Like

Is this something Air said? Or is this something you want to believe?

Don’t you still get compensated with flexible? There’s still a time frame for refunds.