My guests no longer stain my towels and linens..this is what worked for me

That makes so much sense for the pretreat inspection,

My 2nd guests were already 4 loads of wash in by the time they left and all beds were stripped with huge pile of laundry by the washer dryer.
Note: I have a cleaning fee of $100 which I forgot to put in the terms and conditions and they had Instant Booked so they left the place spotless and felt obliged to do some loads even though I told them it was not necessary.

1 Like

When I first started I didnā€™t have any kind of departure checklist info, and just wanted to see how things played out. But I quickly noticed that guests were asking what they should do when leaving: should they start a load of laundry, should they bring the sheets down to the basement laundry room, etc.

It seems guests prefer to have direction in general.

Sometimes we get to the last straw thingā€¦which in your case was no doubt the croquet ball hunting!

Iā€™ve never been much for makeup myself. When I do wear it I wash my face with soap and water first and use vaseline and toilet paper or kleenex to remove it. When Iā€™ve had a bunch on like Halloween I used paper towels to dry off. I canā€™t see buying anything special for the task but if I wore makeup every day maybe I would. After reading this forum I bought the Kirkland facial wipes and theyā€™ve been used.

Removing makeup from towels and bedding is something weā€™ve had to learn because of Airbnb. Iā€™ve never used makeup and neither do any of my friends so I had no experience with makeup removal. One of our guests had a bottle of foundation break in her purse which was on the bed. We Googled how to remove make up and followed the advise to blot the stains with a paper towel then gently scrub them with dishsoap and a toothbrush. It worked. The same guest uses moisturizer that has fake tan embedded in it. Satan created that product. Nothing we did got it out of the sheets and towels. As she is a regular guest we set aside the stained sheets and towels for her.

2 Likes

What about leaving a makeup removal kit and stating ā€œweā€™ve left for you a make-up removal kit in case youā€™ve forgotten yours. Each kit will be charged $xx. Do not use towels to removeā€¦ (like said before in this thread). Permanently damaged towels will be charged $yy/eachā€?

Where I live these kits and also towels are quite expensive - there are no cheap bargain like in the US.

Microfibre cloths made for the face are the best thing Iā€™ve come across to remove makeup. And they work with just water, and clean out with a bar of soap.

Iā€™ve heard a lot of other hosts say that makeup removal kits/creams, etc. still didnā€™t stop the towel abuse. So now that I have found a system that works, I have no desire to back track and start incurring additional expenses.

I am really starting to think itā€™s all about clocking the guests over the headā€¦that they will pay for replacements if I canā€™t remove the stains. So whether that means they have been bringing their own rags, or really using the the brown cloths providedā€¦I donā€™t know. I do know that when I provided the basket of white wash cloths, and cotton pads for makeup removalā€¦they still used the bath towels. I still provide a container of cotton pads. And they do have Kleenex,

But, the spilling food/drink in bed also stopped at the same time too. So, it has to be the threat to their pocket book :smile:

2 Likes

I think they key is making clear that they will pay one way or the other. Better to pay $15 for a makeup removal kit or $25 for a damaged towel?

If you offer the kit for free and donā€™t charge for towel damage, there is no incentive.
Maybe someone genuinely forgot their removal kit!

Well what would be included in a kit? There is a full size grocery store down the street. I donā€™t know that my guests would spend $15 on a kit, when they can buy products at the store.

Plus, if a kit goes missing then itā€™s another thing to inventory and possibly have to confront the guest on. If there are mulitpile women in the group, then it may turn into ā€œwell let me check with the others and see if one of them took it, etc.ā€

Many of my guests are only driving in the car less than 2 hours away. They werenā€™t flying in, so I really canā€™t explain why almost all of them chose to use bath towels to wipe off makeup. But I know not everyone was just forgetting their makeup kits when packing up.

When your partner gives the tour does he also mention to them about the brown make up towels provided?

I have found that my problem areas improved a zillion percent if I made mention of them on the tour.

No, he doesnā€™t mention the brown makeup towels since Iā€™ve already eliminated the makeup issue. But he does mention some other ā€œissuesā€ in problem areas that have helped a lot when going over in person.

1 Like

I checked the price of makeup removal cloths in the U.S. They are expensive enough that I didnā€™t buy them. Fortunately, one of our guests left some. In my view, guests who wear makeup should bring their own makeup removal supplies.

1 Like

Iā€™ve also asked that people not strip the beds. Checking for stains is my first reason, too. Here are some other reasons:

• we have different sizes of beds with very similar sheets, so recreating the set of sheets is much easier.

• if they pile them up with wet towels and we donā€™t arrive to do the cleanup for a few days they will get/stay damp and start to smell musty (ā€œfoistyā€ as my hubby says).

• we have pillow shams that arenā€™t meant to be slept on, so they shouldnā€™t need to be washed after each group leaves. But half the groups were throwing the shams into the wash (before adding that to our checkout list) and they would get all wrinkly. As well, we put our old pillows in those shams that have ā€œseen better daysā€ and then weā€™d have to figure out which pillows we needed to put them back on to. That was time consuming.

• like with the pillow shams, people would throw in their comforters and blankets, which also get cleaned less frequently. But throwing in those items often meant that they ended up getting damp and wrinkled being in contact with the wet towels.

• my final reason is that I donā€™t want guests to have to do this much work when they depart. Iā€™d prefer they concentrate on the items that are more important to me, like cleaning up after themselves in the kitchen.

1 Like

Especially for a longer term stay I suggest you have a contract to protect yourself and so the guest knows what is expected. Itā€™s a normal thing to sign a contract for a stay of more than 28 days, so if you donā€™t have one they might wonder why. Itā€™s for both your protection and theirs.

In our area there is a standard tenancy agreement. You might start with that - just do a google search for your area to see what comes up. When I used to do seasonal rentals I carefully went over that agreement and personalized it. It takes awhile, but once that is done you can use it over and over.

Also make sure to take a standard half-month damage deposit for LTR. I found that it wasnā€™t enough to cover potential damage, so since that half-month was the mandatory amount for our area I had a separate damage deposit to cover the furnishings.

1 Like

We have a running joke here about bed linen threads and I hate to revive the debate but I just canā€™t ignore this. I was in the category of naive host who didnā€™t wash the shams or the top cover (whether itā€™s a quilt, duvet or comforter) after every guest. I have a almost entirely one night guests so itā€™s a real burden to wash all of that stuff. And Iā€™m going to lie and say Iā€™ve never skipped a night since my conversion. But after reading the threads about this subject I changed my mind. I found the arguments for washing everything to be much more persuasive than those against. Now my guide is not ā€œshams arenā€™t meant to be slept on, so they probably werenā€™t,ā€ to ā€œthe shams quite possibly were slept on, so they get washed.ā€ If there are multiple people there for multiple nights you have no idea what they may have done with those shams.

I know cleaning this rental is already a major undertaking but I urge you to wash everything after every rental.

4 Likes

Oh my! If they were all used we would have a total of 18 beds, and I already do 20-25 loads after a full house. Washing EVERYTHING would triple the laundry.

As it is, we wash them when itā€™s obvious they need to be, or after every ~5-6 rentals, in rotation.

Sorry, I didnā€™t mean to start a different debate, though! :wink::bed:

Iā€™m sorry but that just sounds icky. There could be hundreds of peopleā€™s um, germs, (for lack of a better word) on the comforters and shams between washings? Iā€™m not too germophobic but I hate to think of staying at a listing where that is the standard.

Yep, itā€™s painful.

You seem to have your mind made up and Iā€™m not going to re-iterate the points that have been made elsewhere but if you decide to reconsider a search of the forum can help you locate the threads.

1 Like

Iā€™ll look for other threadsā€¦ thanks.

I donā€™t understand, though, how someone could wash a quilt and have it be dry by the time another guest comes in. I let mine air-dry because of the wear & tear of putting things through the dryer. We have handmade quilts and it would be hard on them.

For hosts that might wash any kind of quilt 2-3 times a week doesnā€™t it greatly shorten the life of the quilt / comforter? And many types of comforters need to be dry cleaned rather than washed or they will clump up.

Try to make life easier for yourself. :slight_smile:

Have three of everything so that you donā€™t have to launder between guests, then you can do it at your leisure. I have three one-day guests this week and Iā€™d go crazy if I had to do the laundry every time and not have the clean stuff waiting. We have a nice five hour window between guests but itā€™s still better to have the next set of linens ready.

Also this means that if you do the laundry and find a stain or mark, youā€™ve still got a backup. Youā€™ve also got a backup if a guest lets you know that they have just spilled a bottle of water on the bed - you can supply them with clean stuff instantly.

The easiest way (and @KKC and others knew I was going to say this) is for each bed to have a duvet, pillowcases and a bottom sheet. Thatā€™s all. Then all you need to launder are the duvet cover, the pillowcases and the sheet. Thereā€™s no need for anything fancy and because we use all white, the guests are sure that their bedding is pristine. Making the bed is quickly done.

Sometimes I add a bedspread (newly washed) but avoid throw pillows or shams or anything like that. I have two mattress toppers/protectors that are switched out every time the bed is changed. Many guests remark about the comfort of the bed and some Americans have told me that our bed has converted them to duvet use. :slight_smile:

1 Like