Moratorium on new STR Palm Desert

The ski resort near my location has started doing music festivals- the two standouts are Mountain Jam and A Taste of Country. We have had renters for both for a few years and they have been lovely, but I have also turned down a few parties. Kids all under 21 - or kids who ask me if there is anyway they can all pay separately. That’s a BIG red flag.

But the rural communities of Upstate New York are too impoverished to start clamping down in STRs. They welcome the income for the most part. Only the ritzy-er towns like Rhinebeck or Woodstock or looking to curb activities and bring back long-term rentals.

Luckily the ‘poor’ 20 something kids tend to camp at Coachella bc they cant afford a house/room rental.

1 Like

Not sure about Palm Desert, but in Palm Springs, we have a 25 YO minimum age of principle renter, per our Vacation Rental Overlords.

We’ve found that the older the better, as far as guests go. They may have more “complaints,” but they leave the house in much better shape!

1 Like

Are you in condo complex? HOA? CCRRs? For some reason ours doesn’t have any rental age requirements. YET. lol…

Nope, we own a house. Palm Springs is just a PITA.

Oh, you mean the City of PS has the age rule, huh?