Moratorium on new STR Palm Desert

This probably goes with our recent discussion about Palm Springs taxation so mods feel free to move my comments.

I just received a lengthy notice from our HOA office telling owners to give renters a copy of the rules regarding pool use, noise, parking, etc. It was obviously directed at Coachella goers.

We were also told the City of Palm Desert has issued a moratorium on permits for STRs. Bummer for many owners who need to rent to hold onto their places with a glut of properties on the market and falling prices.

This may spread to neighboring cities where festivals are becoming more frequent.

1 Like

Don’t curse the neighboring cities!!! :yum:

4 Likes

Oh I hope I won’t! :))). I was just taken aback by this very stern notice including numbers to call to report excessive noise and warning us to have our permit in order. They’ve never said a word before.

2 Likes

It doesn’t take many to ruin it for everyone. As a tenant, I sure as hell would not want to be anywhere near festival rentals. For that matter I am completely sympathetic to any neighbor who doesn’t like an airbnb nearby. One of many reasons I don’t count on income from my dog and human boarding. It could all end at a moment’s notice.

3 Likes

@J_Wang in Indio those messages start about April 1, and it’s VERY common for them to be plastered in every common amenity area. I would assume someone in complex complained (maybe not about you but someone) that last year was ‘terrible’ and the HOA must be more vigilant this year.

We’ve never had any notices in the past, but there has always been the occasional problem: loud music, dogs in the pool, kids driving golf carts. But with the festivals there have been more incidents.

I’ve never had any complaints about the Coachella renters–yet! Just a few minutes ago renters called asking where the wifi info was. She sounded normal, and very young. She was heading over to the festival momentarily for this evenings music extravaganza. She said it was hot and the wind was blowing like mad. I could not think of a place I’d rather NOT be! OMG! lol

1 Like

Sad but true. I always feel sorry for other renters, snowbirds maybe, who’ve come to relax in the sun and peace and quiet and end up having all that shattered by a bunch of party animal pigs.

Over the years in our complex there have been some doozies. One of my favorite stories was about a middle eastern family who rented a nice condo in our complex, then invited a horde of people for a feast on the lawn. They didn’t have enough tables so they used doors they’d removed from the condo and propped them up with chairs. How creative! The place was trashed of course.

1 Like

The WIND was INSANE when we drove out yesterday, like even for the desert INSANE. Not to mention the 1 hour line to get into the guard gate in our community. All I could think was THANK GOD we are outta here!!

I’m nervous as this is our first Coachella rental, but when we pulled out yesterday about 5 houses directly near us had renters unloading beer/wine/drink etc

1 Like

I was out to the desert last Friday and the wind was blowing like MAD too. It’s gonna blow the make-up off Lady Gaga!

Unloading wine, beer, etc. you say??? Omg let the party begin! Oh to be young again…I guess.

2 Likes

Burning Man??? :laughing:

1 Like

I, unfortunately, had to go to Costco in Indio yesterday. The majority of the Coachella goers there we mid 30s plus! I was shocked! Our renters our 20 somethings too… I mean you kinda have to be to pay for tickets and a house walking distance.

1 Like

OMG that would probably be THE place I would never want to find myself visiting. Tooooooo ghastly for words!!!

I think most of the attendees are pretty OK types. Of course there will be the ratty, party til ya puke types that will stand out, but most are just fine. And, as you mentioned, the cost alone is going to filter out a lot of people.

2 Likes

Teeeheeeee, I am an armchair burner! Don’t judge!! :laughing:

2 Likes

I went to the first few Coachella’s when it wasn’t 1000$ for tickets!!!

2 Likes

Hey. I’d go if you were with me. We could smoke pot and drink mate, and howl at the moon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d actually like to go to Stagecoach. Meant that comment for azreal

1 Like

It’s a date, I mean it! My son wants to go too. I really want to go to see all the lights and the fantastic art installations!

They say it’s gotten more mainstream.

1 Like

We should go with @tom2 … he has an RV. !!!

I think mainstream in the sense that Susan Sarandon and the guys from tech go. Even people like Al Gore and some republicans too,

Well I just want to see it once in my life!

I secretly follow all the Burner sites, lolz.

1 Like