Montreal Legalized but require to be in a Zone?

I’m still doing my research as we speak, so correct me if anyone has more or better information than I have right now.

Montreal legalized AirBnb this past December. I have a triplex in the plateau area of Montreal. For those who don’t know that area, it’s very close to downtown. Let’s say a 5-10 minute drive will get you there. One of the tenants will be leaving July 1st, so I figured this will be the perfect time to give AirBnB a try.

Figured now that it’s legalized, I will do it right, and see what is required. Read on a news article that a permit is required. Called every department I could reach for my sector, most didn’t know or couldn’t help. Finally found and got a response from the permit department that is responsible. He basically said that only those with a certain zoning code is allowed. And the only code is H-7. He sent me the map, zoomed into my block to see my code. It was not H-7. So I looked at quite a few blocks to check out their code. From what I can see, the only ones that has the chance is if their building was situated on most of the Main Streets.

That’s BS! Might as well not have legalized it right? Guess the only ones allowed are if they are already on a busy louder street.

Any other province or State going through the same situation? What are my options? Still do it and hope for the best?

Newspaper articles said there use to be 2 inspectors, and since they legalized it, they now have 19.

Very discouraging. Tips would be appreciated!

That is the same situation as in Charleston SC. Fact is unless you are properly zoned and within the allowable area, then it is not legal. You can start to gather support, and create a group, and work with your legislator for change. Until then, you are putting yourself and your guests in a difficult position. A neighbor will turn you in ( they always do ) and you will be fined and shut down.

You can still do a furnished rental and put it on airbnb. I am pretty certain that across Canada you can list a space and rent it for 30 days minimum. It is even outlined as such in revenue Canada. It is the under 30 days that is an issue. I own two houses that are listed on airbnb close to Toronto. As of yet, it is still legal to rent out on airbnb in Ontario. Hopefully, that does not change!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Every time you rent your house, they rent it for over 30 days?

I can’t see my place being rented often for a month at a time. I might as well go back to doing yearly leases not furnished. It’s the short stay that got me interested in Airbnb.

No, I only have some longer stays. Last winter, for example, we had someone in for 6 mths due to a house fire, I have had people stay for 3 mths while waiting for their house to close, others stay longer while renovating their house, and this coming winter I have a woman staying for 4 months as she is back and forth between L.A. Many people need furnished rentals for longer periods of time for various reasons. Bottom line is that you can charge more rent, as they are not just renting your house, they are also renting your furniture, linens, kitchen supplies, etc…
Here, in Ontario, airbnb is legal so I still rent out short term as well.

Get familiar with the stradvocacy dot org The short term rental advocacy center. There are lots of resources and some guidance within there.
Charleston has a very unique situation going on. The owner of rentals that are zoned legal has personally sued owners running STR in the illegal zones. It is all quite a mess.
http://stradvocacy.org

Hey there! I would really love to see the map that was sent to you regarding the zoning codes. Was it a link that you could point me towards? Thank you!!

Hi there,
i would like to get the link of the map too, i am looking to invest a place to do airbnb, i look into the zone, i found old port is mix use zone, but the condo is not allow, if i buy a dueplix, it seems all locate in resident zone, it makes so difficult to do airbnb in montreal legally.