Melted cooking spatula

I know - you’re from one of the Scandinavian countries or somewhere in Europe (maybe Holland?) if I remember rightly. Still you’ve spent enough time in London … or was I wrong and you didn’t write rhyming slang ?

As a child I thought tomato sauce was made from horse blood because my dad always referred to it as “dead horse”

No I am definitely not Scandanavian @Zandra I am from a BAME/refugee background :slight_smile:

And yes I was brought up in London. And yes I wrote some cockney rhyming slang as a joke.

1 Like

That’s Australian rhyming slang I guess? It’s not cockney :slight_smile:

Edit: I have to confess I did look this one up and that’s how I know is Australian :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah nice to know! Explains a bit about what you were saying about family when Trump was doing some mad stuff… though London is such a melting pot… you never know. Btw if you were brought up in London you’re a Londoner. Fact.

1 Like

Nothing to do with my family background actually…it was because my sister is married to a Persian and she and her children have dual nationality.

Actually it is cockney rhyming slang but may well have been taken up by the Aussie’s too.

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/giraffe

Yes. It’s Australian. I was just having a Captain Cook at this topic because I’m on my Pat Malone tonight.

2 Likes

I was married to a Brit for 10 years, but the only thing you all said that I actually understood was butcher’s… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And I’m Yorkshire, born, bred and buttered :slight_smile:

The lovely thing about rhyming slang is that if you only use the first bit most non-British people won’t have a clue what we’re talking about. And although it started in London, I think it’s widespread throughout the country now. For example, many years ago there was a telly programme called The Sweeney about the Flying Squad. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@helsi I was referring to @anomaly14. ‘Dead horse’ is not Cockney rhyming slang. A quick internet search showed it was Australian.

Oh Lordy apologies for the confusion I was talking about ‘having a giraffe’ :frowning: :slight_smile:

I figured that :wink:

No biggie.

Oh, why didn’t I come across this thread earlier? I like it much better than kettles and duvets …
I didn’t know about “have a giraffe” and I hang my head in shame, @jaquo to admit that it’s only by just looking at your comment that I realised where “The Sweeney” comes from …
I don’t think that we used rhyming slang quite so much oop North. I was brought up near Liverpool (though on the Wirral (the Posh part) so my bible was "Lern yerself Scouse"
But another fascinating use of slang was what was brought back in WWII by troops who had been in the middle East. My parents both served in Egypt and instead of “have a butchers”, they’d say “have a shufti” which is a corruption of Egyptian Arabic. And of course there are all the words coming from the British Raj - cup of char, Blighty (vilaity) etc

Too fascinating … but probably only for me so I’ll stop before I get boring!

1 Like

You didn’t know about having a giraffe?! Yer avin a bubble aintcha?

No no, I love this stuff. My FIL will occasionally mention his trouble and strife, and when we’re in Leeds my husband will have a butcher’s, but most of it is exotic to me.

I know how to count up to 5 sheep, though, and I’ve got how to count to 20 in an email from 15 years ago…

(In case you’re wondering, it’s
Yan
Tan
Tethera
Methera
Pip)

1 Like