Major Airbnb crackdown coming, it sounds like!

Lol. Let the workarounds begin ! I knew it couldn’t be long …

1 Like

Basements are VERY rare in New Orleans, I would think if I had a basement it’d be quite in demand as a unique destination!

Have your parents stay with you when they are back, then they can just let it out all year round.

1 Like

I think there’s an obvious reason why. Unless you wanted it to double as an indoor pool. :)))

Also, pardon me for confusing you with the moderator here whose nick looks similar to yours, but she’s in Seattle! :))))

Well, for a lot of people these workarounds will not work.

Because they do not want (or cannot have) the place as their primary address.
And renting your place as a private room will make it less popular.

Airbnb is just one outlet. Remember that there were lots of people who were renting out STRs before Airbnb and even before the internet. We managed and did well.

2 Likes

Soon enough New Orleans will be completely underwater and none of this will matter.

Laissez les bons temps rouler.

2 Likes

San Francisco has a 90 day allowance for full home rentals and unlimited for room rentals

OMG! Speak for yourself, please. Airbnb isn’t confined to just New Orleans. It’s worldwide, you know. And while weekends might be the only busy time in New Orleans, there are plenty of places where it’s a 7-day a week thing.

This will be hugely costly to the best hosts - those who do it full time and treat it as a professional occupation. A 90-day annual limit in most places is going to knock most of them out - if only by limiting them to 2-3 months a year.

Quality will very definitely go down. I’d be afraid to stay in a place where the hosts only did it 2-3 months a year. They surely can’t take it very seriously if it’s not a significant portion of their annual income.

1 Like

I am speaking for myself as my city also passed regulations today. In our city I would imagine losing weekdays won’t hurt our full time whole house rentals much as major events that are charged a premium will make up for it and scarcity of listings in the future.

Well I hope that’s the case for you all down there. But if there is any weekday business, which I imagine there must be - that could still be a big chunk taken out of people’s Air income. For people renting full time - the special events are the icing on the cake. But without their bread and butter weekdays, the special events become just a way to make ends meet. The icing melts away!

Your assumptions and attitude are awful.
I own a whole house and it is my sole income- not my extra income and not my air income.
I dont want long term renters - they let a house go into disrepair.
It is in my neighborhood. I definitely care. I can maintain it in pristine condition because of Short term renting.
I rent ST year round and not to partiers.
My house is filled with nice things. It is never trashed.
My guests dont want to share another persons house - they are having family memory time.

4 Likes

If they treat it as a professional occupation, they should follow the rules that go with them.
They should get a licence, and pay the taxes.

But that is the problem, they want the money of a professional business, but do not want to follow the same rules.

Now the field is getting leveled, en they start whining.

1 Like

And Airbnb isn’t confined to whole house rentals or people for whom it is a significant part of their income. I take it very seriously because I rent a room in my home. I live here. I have respect for myself and I try to treat others the way I want to be treated. I have always worked hard to make sure my guests have an excellent experience. I guess you could call me a professional human being. So when you say

I can assure you than not all the best hosts do it full time.

5 Likes

The new joke is that Trump will probably Airbnb the White House.

It sounds like you could run your home like a Professional, Certified Bed & Breakfast…you just don’t want to pay the fees like those people (and btw I don’t blame you)

Haahaha… which brings a whole new twist on One host, one House listings. Wouldn’t put it past him! He certainly seems to have plans on enriching himself by being in the White house!

May as well he isn’t going to be living there much

2 Likes

I have no clue what you are saying or what you mean.
I pay all taxes and am licensed. The costs would be exactly the same if the house was a b&b.
Except, that only 3 br’s have attached bthrooms and that is a detriment in a b& b. And it is not layed out like a b&b. And I dont like to socialize or cook breakfasts.
And b& b come and go in 2 nights, and not a week.
It is a different business entirely, one caters to couples who want foo-foo attention, and the other to families who seek private bonding time and a great layout for a once in a lifetime experience.

1 Like

The “best hosts”? Excuse me but that’s relative and not exclusive to those who do it professionally. Personally, I’m glad that Airbnb is taking steps to knock out the money-grabbers who are using the platform to make a fortune by running mini-hostels and removing long-term accommodation from local people. I wish they would do it in my city where I watch a couple of people buy up more and more properties every year and do their shitty, badly-run, dirty, uncaring airbnb rentals and deprive locals of somewhere to rent.

6 Likes