Maintaining superhost status -don't fall for it!

This is such an interesting question – have Rory’s ratings dipped because she’s changed the way she hosts or has it gone down because she’s getting increasingly demanding guests, or combination of both?

I’ll repeat what others say here – I often worry about how my good reviews are inevitably increasing guest expectations. Some of the review statements are just so over the top using words like “magnificent,” and “words can’t express all the things that chicagohost did for me that made my visit so great.” I’m just renting a basement apt. I told that last guest to download uber. I provide half & half. That’s it, folks.

1 Like

Maybe provide a disclaimer? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The magnificent guy was ESL so he must have been using a thesaurus… It makes me laugh now but a part of me was like, “Oh no!..”

2 Likes

The most outlandish adjective ever used about my place in a review was “spectacular.” Spectacular view.

I am not fancy, or elegant. I don’t want anyone to get the impression that I am…

OK, I’ve got to disagree with you on this one. The view from your place is indeed, spectacular, especially for the incredibly reasonable rate you offer. We have a vacation planned with extended family this Christmas in Maui and I’m paying over $450/night at the Fairmont for a little suite with a view of a ginormous McResort with a tiny sliver of ocean to the left.

1 Like

Wow! Well thank you. I always worry guests will think something about my place is shabby. No granite, travertine or stainless anywhere.

My last guests, two philosophy professors, just loved it. She said, I love the vibe you have in here…
It’s all little touches, only because I can’t compete with travertine. :smile:

Trust me. Travertine is so yesterday.

3 Likes

Ha! True! My neighbor installed it and I wasn’t in love with the look. It’s kind of sterile.

1 Like

Your place would have been my dream studio when I was pre-baby. Gorgeous ocean view, excellent snorkeling, serenely located far away from Kona suburbia, and a rate so reasonable that I could stay for a week or more. My association with stainless and granite kitchens is tens of thousands of ubiquitous condos thrown up by developers since the 90s – that’s just not what I’m looking for when I’m dreaming of a relaxing getaway on the Big Island.

1 Like

That’s so lovely of you to say! Wow! Yes, I like to think I offer all that and more to my guests. That is why I truly appreciate the ones who get it.

@AmyB
You wrote this a while back and I was just reading it this morning:

MissMiami has her business-only approach to hosting, and it’s fine for those who want to do it that way. But pushing that approach on other hosts spreads the very destructive social problem of commodification of human beings that corporate culture has promoted in America. Airbnb is part of the sharing economy, where real humans have an opportunity to bring heart and soul back into our exchanges, and resist the corporate trend to dehumanize everything that can produce profit.

My business-only approach doesn’t mean I’m uncaring or cold; I treat my guests with kindness and respect, and my reviews reflect my warm and nurturing style of hosting. For instance, I do my best to personalize the guest’s experience, be it with special children’s pillowcases (for a young guest’s favorite character), or with ice cream and cake for a guest celebrating a birthday. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t think of my enterprise as a business.
Until a few years ago I traveled extensively, and always stayed at hotels. I treat others as I like to be treated. Even in impersonal hotels I was always treated well; in some, hotel staff knew my name (even the staff who stood at the curb opening my taxi door) and preferences (such as a certain room that I liked or the extra towels that I preferred), some hotels welcomed me with personalized notes in my room and favorite brands of soda in the refrigerator. Yet the attention was about business and not anything else.

3 Likes

Exceptionally well put Lady Miami. The best of good business people straddle the thin line between business and personal smoothly; they tend to deal with people without effort. Firm but friendly. And one thing about them, they always have an ‘anything is possible’ and ‘nothing is a problem’ attitude. A far cry from businesses that run as impersonal as a calculator (i.e.corporations) or those in which there is always a ‘problem’ (drama central).

I am speaking in general and philosophically.

2 Likes

To prove your point just read a few Google Reviews for your local spots: shops, restaurants, etc. You will see the exact type of person you describe. Some get downright mean and spiteful.

As an example I went to very hip but not pretentious little cafe for breakfast yesterday. They specialize in high quality meats. The decor is minimalist/industrial and the food was incredibly good–and unique! Which is probably why some feel they need to be criticized. Some of the reviewers complained about the most superficial stuff that had nothing to do with the amazingly good food on offer. The waitperson was probably too pretty and nice, so she got a few jabs.

However! As you mentioned, savvy people can see through the meanness because there were enough 5 star reviews to balance things out.

1 Like

Aye, social media is a two-edged sword, gives a platform to all, from the kindest to the meanest. Personally, I think it oftentimes is like walking through a minefield, blindfolded.

1 Like

Where I am in the Riviera my experience is that they expect a 6 star hotel concierge service but only want to pay hostel type rates. Yes they are more picky but Airbnb encourage that by accepting cancellations for spurious reasons. Fortunately I have not had any cancellations but the demands are getting silly.

1 Like

Besides having that Super Ho status, being “on the Riviera” heightens people’s expectations even more, which is a huge pain in the rear for sure.

Have you thought about re-wording your description to subtly mention that you offer great accommodation in a beautiful location for considerably less than a hotel would charge?

There are some very good wordsmiths on this board who could help out.

I’ve rewritten my listing a few times when I was getting fewer stars for location. I also mentioned that there might be some bugs–like an ant or 3 and maybe a spider–when some people wrote comments about them. Now I point out the “nature exhibits” so I can diffuse any problems.

1 Like

@Mearns, Fred, thank you for your kind words. I’m personable and warm with my guests but it doesn’t mean that I’m not “all business”.

1 Like

I definitely believe that this is true. I recently had a guest who decided to check out early because it did not feel like a hotel. Those are her exact words. Of course it did not feel like a hotel because it is not a hotel. It just kind of makes me wonder what some of these people are thinking but overall my guests have been great.

1 Like

I kinda thought that maintaining or getting a super host status is beyond our control, especially since there are a lot of nitpicky guests, or dumb guests who don’t read our listing details before booking our rooms. I had a couple of cases where guests complain that we don’t have a washing machine on the premises and gave me nothing better than 4-stars. My listing clearly explains that I don’t have a washing machine.

BTW, there is a little trick to getting a 5-star review. Although it might not always work, you can always give it a try:)
After you write your guests a review following their check out, send them a PM complimenting them on their stay, and that you gave them a 5-star review. From my experiences, many guests were delighted and returned the favor.

3 Likes

This has backfired on me! Best to mutually decide on a good review before they leave! Don’t leave it to chance.

2 Likes