Launching a new platform, similar to Airbnb... in NYC

Hello guys, we are launching a new platform that will allow members to rent their houses or a specific space per hour. We are also giving the first 50 hosts a bonus of $50 after renting their space 5 times. This is totally compatible with Airbnb or any other platform. If you are interested in helping us and be one of our first testers, please let me know. We will really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks for reading!

Ooooh… just like the Tokyo Love Hotels. I can remember when NYC was filled with boarding houses that always had a few disgusting rooms to rent by the hour.

Out of curiosity, what is your target market?

2 Likes

That sounds a bit hook-up-ish to me. :wink:

The idea is to offer a space to travelers/workers in downtown areas a space to take a nap/refresh themselves in the middle of the day, without the need to go to their hotel or home.

Given the endless discussion on this board about leaving luggage, you might well have a market. As a host, I would think there is a finite number of times one would want to clean the room, wash the linens, and remake the bed. Good luck. I am not your target market, but you might be right. Someone might want to rent a room short-term.

3 Likes

So, our rental is roughly $140 per night depending on season/events. That’s for 24 hours (ignoring the check in and check out times).

So per hour, that equates to about six dollars an hour. So for that, I have to clean the rental, provide clean towels (and possibly shampoo and toiletries) and, more than likely, change the bedding.

Even at twice or three times the hourly rental, why would I do that rather than having proper guests?

2 Likes

We have something similar to this in London ; it’s actually useful for workers that don’t have permanent offices for example and will rent a large room by the hour. Could work …but you’d have to charge a significantly higher hourly rate to make it worthwhile .

3 Likes

I understand your point. Thanks for the feedback. We are figuring out how potential hosts see the idea.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback.

This could be very useful for places near airports, I would certainly make use of it if the spaces were reasonably priced (would have to be similar pricing to an airport lounge, for example).

3 Likes

I agree with Gardenhost that it could be useful near airports with few facilities for long stopovers (I’m looking at you, Istanbul…) but you’d be in competition with budget airport hotel chains. I don’t know about the US, but here an Ibis (French chain) near the airport costs €39 per night, and you get a continental breakfast thrown in.

I can’t really see how many hosts or guests would benefit from it … I wish you well, though, it’s an intriguing idea. Let us know how it goes!

1 Like

I can only see this work as a business center with a manned reception area and lots of very small units, with a desk, good office chair and an easily cleanable relax-chair for naps. No private bathrooms. Just communal toilets and maybe a shower room for rent. Of course also meeting rooms for rent.

I don’t see how it could work for the typical AirBnB listings. To lower the price to under the normal nightly rate, one would have to rent out the room several times a day. Who is going to do all the cleaning? And all the checking-in and out?

3 Likes

Oh, HELL No. Not in my building. I would be the first to report it to NYC officials and my local counsel member as an illegal flophouse.

4 Likes

Sounds like a Love Hotel to me – just the thing for up-market hookers to rent by the hour. The local government is OK with this???

2 Likes

Ashley Madison is watching Yooooo
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh myyyyy.

I’m in NYC, and 10 minutes from an airport… but nope. I am sharing my home and need to greet each person who enters. (You’re using my toilet, I should recognize your face) I don’t see how I could squeeze that into my day.

I’m curious if the OP has looked over local laws and feels confident they won’t get sued/fined by the city.

1 Like

I bet this never got off the ground and rightly so.

1 Like

He’s trying to create a US version of what the Japanese do with the ‘manga cafes’. They’re pretty cool. Its just like a cubicle with a padded floor thats big enough that you can lay down on. Its a raised floor and when you come in, you take off your shoes. I’m guessing they just spraying down the floor and the desk between guests. There’s no sheets or linens because its just a space to study/watch TV/read manga or nap for a few hours.

There’s one in this link that’s in NYC - and now closed down.

1 Like