Kind of upset over a 4 star rating---heard this one before?

How do you pronounce that lightweight metal that is available in sheet form and used to cover turkeys being roasted.

My friend from England said it was "allo-MINI-umm …not a-LOO-min-umm.

He also says sheds-ule instead of SKEDsule, like Yanks would say it.

Yes, our English guests have told us that in England aluminum is spelled aluminium. I had to show some of them my package of aluminum foil to prove that I didn’t make up our pronunciation.

2 Likes

Yes, aluminium. That’s just one of those transatlatic oddities. But I say skedule, not shed-ule. There are so many oddities! Two countries divided by a common language :slight_smile:

and a big ole’ ocean.

3 Likes

The location thing is meant to be a general impression about the surrounding area so others can get a better sense of what an unfamiliar area is like.

Unfortunately it gets lumped in with things we can control, like the quality of our accommodation. In any case what really counts is guest satisfaction, and that’s why “overall experience” is what counts.

Middle English: via Old French from Latin herba ‘grass, green crops, herb.’ Although herb has always been spelled with an h, pronunciation without it was usual in British English until the 19th century and is still standard in the US.

Er? Did I not post exactly that a few posts up ? I mean I don’t particularly mind a lesson on differences in pronunciation …but having said exactly that I’m somewhat confused.

Well, I was thinking of the southern closed vowel, as in the aahhh you described, as opposed to the open vowel aaaaa. It was supposed to be humorous :frowning: I think I can say with some authority, though, that nobody north of Manchester says paaahm. It’s gonna be a pam tree, for sure.

Yes. I said that. Though being southern Liverpool upwards seems pretty north to me.

Fine, ok. Bloody hell, it was supposed to be lighthearted! You win, get yourself a gold medal whatever, jeez

1 Like

If you can explain how telling me the exact same thing I’d already said a few posts up is a lighthearded joke, I will happily LOL.

Otherwise, sorry I’m missing the joke. No need to throw your toys out of the pram though @Magwitch.

I apologise that I missed a post and clearly misunderstood the nature of the discussion. No toys thrown out of my pram but pfft, what a downer you’ve put on this :frowning: Whatever.

1 Like

IMHO - You put the downer on it when you a) over reacted to me pointing out I’d said something similar earlier in the post and b) started swearing.

Anyway I’m somewhat reminded of an occasion in Boots where I was complaining (but talking normally) with a member of customer service and they suddenly interjected ‘if you keep shouting madam I’m going to have to ask you to leave’. Totally wasn’t shouting for the record.

Which is a long winded way of me saying ‘cool, fine, I’m sure you didn’t mean it the way I read it.’

Really ladies, let’s stop. There is a lot of inflection sometimes that gets misread. Even though you are both British!

2 Likes

Hehe, that’s the funny thing :slight_smile:

I’ve never met Zandra, or talked to her on the phone, but I’m 99,9% sure that we both speak completely differently. In fact, I bet there’s as much difference between the way we talk as there is between me and any American. But we’re both English :wink:

(But we both say ‘parm’, not ‘pam’)

Aye aye. Yep certain we’d laugh at each other’s accents.

My fave memories of Yorkshire are things like : saying ‘I’m going to’t shops’, ‘ey up lass’ and ‘that’s gipping’. I lived in Sheffield for a long while and think it’s my second home. @jaquo

1 Like

Pam sounds Australian???

1 Like

lol…Well, one was Scottish, but the other was from Manchester; and the neighbors were from Batley, West Yorkshire. They all called those trees Pam trees :))) I think after a few trips to places that have tons of palm trees, like Palm Springs, CA, everyone gets with the local pronunciation.

I’m pretty sure these two words were the cause of my divorce… :wink:

3 Likes

Irreconcilable pronunciations?

5 Likes