Just the latest entitled guest……

Taaa Daah

I’m an Aussie in Ireland and I have just dealt with two separate bookings involving American astrophysics phd students at a convention in our town, and the mess and lack of basic social skills were alarming. Plus one little madam left my gate open and I had to find my dog with a bad knee injury. She had issues with another host and whined about that host’s dogs, so I think she did it on purpose. The other glowing reviews must be for another person because I can’t believe they were for her. Eight years of hosting and it doesn’t get easier.

We recently hosted a medical doctor who left the place like a savage. Took two jars of our homemade Mirabelle jam (didn’t pay), emptied each jar half way (same jam) tossed the lids and jars across the coffee table mixed with a nix collection of bread crumbs, coffee stains and other sticky substances.

Not complaining that I’m cleaning this up - just stating that some people have no issues being messy in someone elses home.

3 Likes

I totally understand, it reminds me of having to seperate a father and son, who was a double degree, medical and completing dentistry, at 2 am in the morning after hearing breaking furniture and screaming from my studio next door. Heard the next morning that the local police were about to arrest him for harassing young women at a bar earlier that night. So glad I threw him out. I feel like I’m back wrangling three year olds at pre school, however they were better behaved than most adults.

1 Like

It’s a mistake to think someone’s profession has anything to do with their level of respect, emotional maturity, or anything else.

That’s why I bristle when hosts claim “low prices attract low quality guests”.
My private room listing is about $28/night. 99% of my guests have been respectful, appreciative, and leave their space clean and tidy.
(Maybe if it was a ridiculous $10/night it might attract losers, but I’m not going to get “better” guests if I raised it to $40/night. I’d probably just get ones that expected more )

1 Like

Never judge a book by its cover - I hear you.

‘Funny’ though that someone whose training involves cleanliness in the scope of their profession has such a poor judgement of respect and decency.

I’m not looking for a discussion what ‘we’ (hosts) have to accept in the hospitality business. It’s just a part of our learning curve to experience these things along the way.

One of the messiest and grubby-looking homes I’ve been in was that of my doctor, who was also sort of a friend. Obviously neither he nor his wife were the housekeeping types.

That was many years ago and it did shock me at the time and made me realize that you can’t make any assumptions about people’s habits or standards.

I’ve also known therapists who are considered to be good at what they do, and have helped clients with their issues, whose own personal lives and relationships are quite a mess.

One of my daughters is a Montessori teacher. To see how she interacts with her students and her own 4 year old, you would think she is a person with infinite patience and understanding and empathy. But she is only like that with kids. With adults, she is highly impatient, gets easily annoyed, holds others to impossible standards and is quite narcissistic.

People’s professional lives may be at odds with their personal lives.

It’s tough when guests don’t check details and then make unfounded complaints. Enjoy the quieter weeks ahead…and that lump payment in the bank.