It's time to take a stand against door slammers and bathroom flooders

Actually, WTH is “what the” and a word that rhymes with dell. WTF is that duck one. :wink:

1 Like

Damn automatic spell check.

1 Like

Thanks @EllenN. At my age, I know what those initials stand for. I just couldn’t believe I would be the recipient of such a response on this friendly community board. It was an innocuous statement and I’m surprised she took it personally…and so vehemently!

Guess I’d better keep my dukes up from now on (just in case).

Haha it is and I’m going with America ?

I took the WTF as light hearted and the comment as funny. I guess not everyone uses F as cavalierly as I do.

3 Likes

I am a door slammer. Not because I am intenionally rude or disrespectul; I’m simply not graceful. And I’m often lost in my own thoughts so I’m not aware of the noise/chaos that I am leaving in my wake. But having a host call me on it would be super-embarressing! I’d hate that! I think the best option for people like me is labelling: take a label maker and print out: CLOSE ME GENTLY!. Affix to door. Problem solved. :slight_smile:

Well we are the most important and powerful nation on earth. Haven’t you heard? :smiley:

1 Like

@KKC – Oh, I’m not a total stranger to dropping an occasional F-bomb myself, though I’m generally alone when I do.

Case in point. Yesterday during dinner prep, I refilled the pepper grinder with the entire bottle of peppercorns. I put the lid on, did one crank and the bottom fell out. A gazillion peppercorns went all over the counter and floor, rolling under the fridge and range, in the laundry room under the washer and some even made it to the living room.

There was only one word that suited and I didn’t hesitate to use it…with explosive vigor. I almost bit through my bottom lip.

I completely forgot that I was not alone. The other half was in the next room watching the news and he about fell out of his recliner. Made a big deal that he couldn’t believe his ears. I said ‘sorry, but it fit the situation’.

I probably said it another five to seven times more while I was sweeping those buggers up ~ but I just mouthed it. No sense further ruining his image of me. (hah!)

1 Like

I’m not so sure it’s an issue of disrespect because these people don’t view their slamming that way. It’s just normal behavior for them–totally unconsciously done. I would love to see the look on their faces when they read that review. I’m sure they’ll be mortified, and that’s just fine. They’ve got to realize they have to behave a little differently in a private home.

The door slamming is one of my big peeves too. I’ve got a sensitive startle response, so there have been times I’ve nearly jolted out of my seat when the bathroom door gets slammed. I hate it but I’ve never said anything.

The other really irritating personal habit of some is nose blowing that sounds like a train horn. I just had an Italian guy who left today who did this every morning of his 4 day stay.

As Jackulas said, I take the money and grit my teeth til they leave.

4 Likes

Totally see your point.

I have had guests slam the downstairs door SO HARD!!! That it makes the whole house shake like a 6.2!!! And it pops me out of seat so hard I will nearly hit my head on the ceiling. Unreal! Yet there is one teeny sign and it’s also in my notes. But they don’t see it or do see it and slam it hard anyway.

I have my share of countdown timer guests. Only three more nights, only two more nights… Etc.

The nose blowing is horrible as are the entrails that sometimes land on the walls from said blowing.

1 Like

I have a sensitive startle response too and will jump ceiling high if I hear unexpectedly loud noises. Generally guests slam and bang their way around the place like nobody’s business. And turning the bathroom into a wet room is something I have come across on more than one occasion.

I very much agree with calling out these guests.

2 Likes

Splash Mountain!!!

That’s what I call it and I don’t get it. Finally I put a small sign on the bathroom counter that says “please don’t leave water on the counter.” and I have a small hand towel next to the sign. Taken care of splash mountain for good!

@Laurie_Ann

Good for you!! You not only called attention to the problem (your sign) but offer a solution (leave a small hand towel next to the sign). Perfect!

I have never been a door-slammer. If anything, I fail to always close the kitchen cupboards or drawers all the way because I don’t like the noise it creates. But I confess to having been sort of a water-slob in the bathroom years ago.

What broke me of that habit is when I was dating a guy (ahem…my boss) who went into his bathroom after I had been in it and exclaimed, “Wow, it looks like a seal was in here!”

I was totally mortified and consciously controlled myself in that regard after that.

Speaking of pepper grinders… post #28… We exclusively use McCormick pepper and it’s accompanying grinder. Really fantastic aromatic and yummy pepper. The grinder has a 3 settings, the coarsest it really crunchy, and they’re $2 at WW. Don’t get the medely, not as strong. And NO ONE uses more pepper than me! If you want to look it up online type in >McCormick Black Peppercorn Grinder< net 1wt 1 oz packed in France. Oh, and I tryed to refill it, really really hard, and I broke a small grinder finger, but it still worked. I use one grinder-full a week, and I toss the emptys at the door slamming gues…

http://www.target.com/p/mccormick-black-peppercorn-grinder-1oz/-/A-13478259?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Grocery+Essentials+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9005000&gclid=CjwKEAiAirXFBRCQyvL279Tnx1ESJAB-G-Qvzr99Et7dNgtBxEl_eoHjxDB9r_kofnIePDNqcBXKphoCjPnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Drifting a tad… I’m renting temporarily, and my landlord is the sweetest guy. He lives but a few steps accross the yard, and usually comes over daily. He taps on the door so gently…

Should we-could we widen this thread to include guests other irritating habits? Oh, and I’m a nose honking blower… Sheesh…

Thanks for the pepper grinder info. I’ve purchased it before and it’s pretty good but the smallest grind is still a bit coarser than I like chomping into. (I always think it’s a piece of tooth or crown.)

The one that sent all the peppercorns flying is one from probably the early 90’s, about $40 and can be dialed down to a really fine grind and gets all the essence of the peppercorn, but 'nuff about peppercorns…

What’s this about your landlord?!

“He lives but a few steps across the yard, and usually comes over daily. He taps on the door so gently…”

Yes…and what?? What does he do/say? What’s his purpose?

You left a cliff-hanger!

And my husband, who loves pepper, finds McCormick pepper to be bland and stale. Now, to be totally honest, this is a man who orders one of his 11 peppers from a Malaysian farmer. The line up of pepper grinders on our table is almost hysterical. Some peppers he prefers chunky, some he prefers fine… and he has found [with lots of error] the right grinder for each of his peppers. I hate black pepper, but can not make fun of him since he would quickly list the salts and vinegars that I have in our pantry.

1 Like

I’m with your husband. I grind immodest amounts of black pepper on many, many dishes. In my view, a salad or an egg dish without pepper is a shadow of what it could be. Does your husband like Tellicherry pepper and grains of paradise? I like both very much.

Two issues here, my gently knocking landlord… And the revelation that my fav pepper is bland and stale… I’m at work now, but I think we need to start a new thread, and I will fill in the details.

Oh, and vinegar… I like it dark and robust. You know what they say, once you’ve gone black, you never go back…