Is IKEA furniture not good enough for Airbnbs?

It’s not strange! How would I know I didn’t like it unless I’d been there?? Hate is too strong in retrospect. I was excited as anyone when Ikea opened in my area 18 years ago. But it’s kind of waned since then. I find many of the designs ugly and a lot of things overpriced. I do still like a lot of their economical practical stuff, though, and sometimes the fabrics are nice. And the meatballs and jam are good. Damn, I might have to go there soon just for that.

Ikea in my place, too – both queen beds (where else can I get simple, white beds with storage?), wardrobe, dresser, bathroom vanity (with custom marble top, though), tall bathroom cabinet with mirror, Ikea faucet, a bathroom mirror, towel bars and TP holders, one Ikea lighting fixture, a large picture of a flower, and a couple of bath mats. However, the rest of the place is furnished with higher-end pieces (mostly from JC Penney when they were dumping their Conrad line at 80% off), a couple of antiques, and other interesting items I picked up from thrift stores, estate sales, and auctions. I think if you mix it up and it looks good, it’s ok.

I know exactly what you mean. There have been times when I stopped over at the local IKEA just to get some food. Didn’t have a look at the furniture at all.

Also, I like reading Swedish books, and our local library doesn’t have any books in that language. So I sometimes go to IKEA, grab a book from one of the shelves, and sit on one of their sofas, for hours, reading. Not buying anything at all, of course.

1 Like

The IKEA in Brooklyn has its own dock. They have free boat rides from Manhattan. I’ve done that before on a nice day just for the scenic ride. Didn’t buy anything. Never go on a Tuesday, though. That’s the day kids eat for free, so the line for meatballs will be a mess.

2 Likes

Good idea. My Airbnb room tends to stay empty on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Perhaps if I offer some free meatballs, I will get more guests (with kids) middle of the week.

1 Like

I love ikea, for anyone setting up on a budget it probably can’t be beaten. I don’t have any ikea furniture in my place but I do use it for kitchen products e.g plates cutlery, mirrors & small accessories.

1 Like

Claire, Stop spamming our forum.

ok i admit it!!..i got one of those IKEA reviews…like ‘fab flat but with some IKEA pieces’???..first thing is you cant get proper design furniture in Russia unless u want to pay in gold…anyway i have mixed it up and then i get an IKEA review…on the hand who cares. most people have something from IKEA - not sure why it should be a negative point…saying that it never stopped people from coming…so i say why not IKEA…well mixed with some nice pieces )…:star_struck:

The Ikea flat I mentioned way back in this old thread was in Moscow! It was a great place, we loved it and left a 5* review. I think the bottle of champagne, fruit and jar of sweeties more than made up for the inconvenience of wading through a zillion small useless cushions that had been placed on the bed and ended up on the floor…!
Ah, I so want to go to Russia again :frowning:

I wouldn’t care if you had ikea. I’d be coming for your price and location!!!
Do you have antique shops there, I mean could you find a few traditional Russian pieces? That would look very cool. I honestly don’t think that many people are looking for proper contemporary when visiting Russia! Many of us would love to see traditional furnishings. Am I making sense?