International Tourism

At the time of my surgery It (my procedure/my machine…I’m not sure) had not yet been approved for the US. The Dr was a US based Dr. and the clinic for initial exam, information, etc was in the US. On the day of surgery we all met at the clinic and a van took us across the border. It was a group just like Sandy Toes. I think I paid $2400 and it was worth every penny.

1 Like

I’ve been told Im not a candidate yet… Until my eyes settle down. Every single exam has a large adjust to the Rx. Fortunately, the Rx is getting weaker and weaker each time, since at my worst I was a -5.75 correction. Now I am a -3.50. One of the few advantages to aging. :wink:

2 Likes

Ah right I see & also I guess you can tie in an overseas holiday with it too. That’s why lots of people get work done in Thailand, I’ve just had a friend get her boobs done there :speak_no_evil:. Ah don’t tell me about aging @konacoconutz the prospect of having to wear glasses is a bit daunting. My other half wants to have the surgery done too but is in the boat as you - his eyes won’t settle.

Ooh! What’s a Global entry card? I want one too

$100 bucks and live near one of the places you go for an in-person interview. Edit: you don’t have to “live near” an enrollment center but if you don’t that adds to the cost since you will have to travel to one.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

While turning over the rooms this morning, that AirBNB ding happened… male couple from BERLIN!!! First booking from overseas since the travel ban was signed.

5 Likes

Really?
Don’t worry. Most europeans do not give a s**t about the elections or travel ban.
It is typical american to think the whole world evolves around them and their president.

It is just the season. Europeans just had their spring/winter holidays, and do not plan more than 1 vacation ahead.
Now everyone is back from their spring vacations, they will start looking at what they are going to do this summer.

For me summer bookings just started to come in and, I am within europe.

4 Likes

In fact, we just had a French couple who told us that they were worried that Trump would ban French people from traveling in the U.S. They want to move here.

2 Likes

@Chris I don’t quite understand why I have been the recipient of such a snarky comment. This was an article from the Boston Globe comparing searches for travel from Europe from a year ago and now, and the results are that searches are way down. Perhaps you didn’t read the article? Similar articles have since appeared in the NYTimes and theGuardian.

And, I believe you have used an incorrect word here. We evolved from primates. The earth revolves around the sun.

And I am fully aware of how much concern is being voiced in Europe about the changes that are happening to the American government. I have lots of family scattered throughout the continent and yes, they have fears and won’t be sending their children to our country this summer as they normally do.

1 Like

I agree with you, @anon67190644. Every European guest I’ve had since the election has asked me about Trump (how it happened, how it will affect the rest of the world). In fact, many guests we’ve become friends with in other countries wrote after the election to express concern. @Chris, I know that my experience is anecdotal, but there have been many articles stating that tourism to the U.S. is down due to the travel ban.

2 Likes

Thank God we have someone who can speak on behalf of an entire continent amongst us mere, silly American mortals.

Maybe it was like this in the first couple of weeks, but meanwhile Europe has already moved on.

They are more worried about Erdogan and the ongoing flow of refugees, than what Trump is doing.

Hi @Chris

Thanks for talking on behalf of us Europeans. I think we mustn’t live in the same Europe :wink:

Without fail everyone I know - from family and friends to workmates are very much concerned about the impact of Trump being elected on the world and the implications of his travel ban.

Of course people plan what’s called ‘long-haul’ ie travel outside Europe a long way ahead - as it is major expenditure for most.

There is much research carried out by the travel industry showing the direct impact of Trump being elected and his travel ban on people wanting to travel to the US for leisure.

2 Likes

Yeah, like others have said, maybe you should just state your own opinion and not make pronouncements on behalf of millions of people? With no facts to back them up? I mean, I know that’s kind of on trend with certain people at the moment but it doesn’t make it right or even acceptable.

I would imagine that cold hard cash has a lot to do with the slump too. Exchange rates are not so great and there is a lot of uncertainty about the economic future, particularly in EU countries (UK especially). So that might play a part in people holding back on a US trip - it’s quite expensive for many Europeans. I will start to seriously worry if it affects the Chinese and S Korean tourists. They are the most prolific travellers globally right now and are a sizeable percentage of my guests.

@Magwitch the weak pound in the UK is entirely self inflicted (Brexit). And it has been a boost to tourism here as everything is now cheaper for international guests. I’m as busy as I’ve always been. Conversely the weak pound makes it less easy for Brits to travel abroad but I suspect it’s not the whole reason they’re not travelling to the states. A lot do not want to support the Trump regime in anyway including not spending money in the states while he’s in office. In effect a lot of travellers are choosing to boycott the states to make a point. Some are equally worried that a ticket they buy now may not mean entry to the country in 3 months time when Trump decides not to grant access to people born in X Y or Z.

At the same time the states appears to be turning inwards in terms of its own domestic and foreign policy; arguably then they (they being Trump and his administration) may not care about the downturn in tourism.

3 Likes

Another article:

2 Likes

Yikes.

The result could be an estimated 4.3 million fewer people coming to the United States this year, resulting in $7.4 billion in lost revenue, according to Tourism Economics, a Philadelphia-based analytics firm. Next year, the fallout is expected to be even larger, with 6.3 million fewer tourists and $10.8 billion in losses. Miami is expected to be hit hardest, followed by San Francisco and New York, the firm said.

Hawaii continues to get record visitors. Especially our island. But it may be in a different metric than the rest of the U.S.