International Tourism

Most of our family and friends in Europe, are not traveling to the US bc of EUR/SEK value not being great for them. However, LOTS have been going to Mexico! Also, there were tons of Euros in S Africa when we were there in Jan. We know at least 3-4 families in Barcelona that went on Holiday to Mexico in 2016. I think many people are still traveling with-in the EU for holidays, we haven’t heard any friends outright say they would not take holidays outside their home country, they are just not coming to the US.

Strangely, I had hoped to get to Mexico for the first time this winter, but real life got in the way. But, now I know that February-mid-March are slow slow slow in the AirBNB world. I am thinking I might just move down there next winter and do a home swap or rent the whole house during that time. [I have to have someone who is responsible for snow removal.]

That was quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

This all goes to show what people forget. While I can’t stand Trump, he is not the first president to make a travel ban, Obama and Bush definitely did. It’s the media hyping it. But Trump is an idiot and won’t shut up, and the media is having a field day showing him to be an idiot.

1 Like

Well, Trump is also openly abusing the press, which is quite unusual behavior in a US President. The US Press may not have a lot of self-respect, but even they probably draw the line at this kind of thing.

1 Like

Oh I know. I can’t stand him. But there is a double standard that the media is having a field day with. And the guy just can’t close his mouth and be dignified. While I would never wish death on anyone, I saw this article the other day with a historian predicting that Trump’s presidency would be the 2nd shortest in history. I’m hopeful as there are several ways he could be removed from office, through with his personality it would have to be forceful removal more than likely…

1 Like

false equivalency: http://www.businessinsider.com/big-differences-between-trumps-immigration-ban-obamas-2011-policy-2017-2

1 Like

We can disagree about whether or not the press is treating Trump fairly. What isn’t going to change is that Trump can’t control the foreign press in the way he is trying to control the American press. Trump’s attacks on the press also can’t change the reality of people traveling and being harassed or detained at ports of entry. People don’t want to come here and worry about what asinine thing he is going to do while they are on vacation that will impact their travel. This is going to impact the inclination of foreigners to visit here.

2 Likes

@Sarah_Warren Trump banning those from seven Muslim countries plus applications from all Syrian refugees is nothing like what Obama did - which was to slow down refugee applications from Iraq after Iraqi nationals in the US were found to be carrying out terrorist activities. I don’t understand how one can be compared with the other.

2 Likes

Sarah, people are still traveling to France, but last year Paris alone had USD 1.370.000.000 less in tourism revenues. These things do have a serious impact, and numbers don’t tend to recover in one single year.

Can you link to the statistic you have quoted which demonstrates the fall in income and this being directly linked to the recent terrorism activity.

It’s in dutch, Belgian Newspaper.

In Belgium, it cost us 0,57% of our GNP. Considering that European economies are barely growing that is huge.

Hmmm - I would have thought it’s also due to currency fluctuations.

That could very well be also the case, but I guess someone filtered out the influence of the terrorist attacks and this filtering resulted in the amount mentioned.
It’s a decent, trustworthy, non-sensation-seeking newspaper. Quiet leftwing, so even quiet reluctant to publish that kind of news item.

I have not seen a slowdown of foreigners booking,but many of them booked Hawaii before or right after the election. So many Canadians have said they can’t come due to a really nasty exchange rate. Canadian friends have gone to Mexico instead and I would do the same. They got two Mexico trips for the price of one Hawaii one.

Why speculate when there is data?

6 Likes

Good source!, Thanks Teach!

1 Like

Although the article linked below is interesting in its entirety, the first few lines - a quick anecdote - is pretty revealing. Someone living in Chicago refused to visit London because ‘Europe is too dangerous’. Compared to Chicago???

2 Likes

Yeah I had people ask me if was worried about terror attacks when I visited Prague over the holidays. Heck no, and I am not going to live my life in fear.

1 Like

Guns in America. The one thing you can’t talk about. Seriously, the government tries to make it illegal to talk about how dangerous they are. They refuse to allow funding of any research that might provide data showing their danger. The ultimate in political correctness.

2 Likes