Insurance problems

Not in my particular case, going back to the original post very common for people to give Insurance as a reason not to allow something, gives them an easy out, hey I am not the bad guy love to help you but…

1 Like

Just another voice to say: DO NOT rely on the Airbnb Host Guarantee NOR the “Host Protection Insurance”. Get your own insurance as suggested above.

Recently had an issue and was NEVER able to even to find out how to make a claim for the HPI (despite documents on the ABB site that say to contact them to make a claim). My take: the HG and HPI are there more as marketing than as any real attempt at doing good by hosts.

1 Like

Well it’s relatively new I think. The liability coverage. The host guarantee is not insurance. You have to provide documentation just as if you were going on Judge Judy, :rofl:

I think we need to start our own mutual insurance company and monetize this Airbnb phenomenon like everyone else is doing with their cleaning/booking/etc. services!
Although insurance products have been in existence for the second or vacation home rental business, the industry hasn’t really caught up with the growth of Airbnb yet. As several folks have mentioned, regardless of whether Airbnb’s coverage and “guarantee” be good or bad, running a commercial business – of short term rentals or anything else – out of your home or apartment may not be permissible under your homeowner’s or renter’s or your landlord’s insurance policy (and may void that coverage) or may breach the provisions of your or your landlord’s mortgage agreement if the property is financed. Commercial operations = higher risk, and insurance companies will not voluntarily take on additional risk they have not priced into the existing coverage premiums. Plus insurance companies do not have the protection, depending on jurisdiction, of the many government licensing, inspection, and customer and employee safety regulations that would be in place for, as examples, a beauty shop or convenience store housed in an apartment building. If I’m running a hotel I better be sure I’m don’t have fire code violations if I want my insurance claim to be paid. Airbnb is an immature business model that jurisdictions have just begun to regulate in the past few years. That creates uncertainty for insurers in gauging risk levels and being able to price to cover them. Before I stumbled upon Proper insurance, I was looking at commercial bed & breakfast policies.

I want to call proper… what info do they ask for to give a quote?

They were happy to talk on the phone, provide info, answer innumerable questions, and give a quickie estimated quote. The application was simple to fill out – standard stuff like location & age of property/systems; questions on equipment and amenities such as pools, boats, vehicles; whether you serve alcohol; plus a link to your listing with photos. It was so pleasant after the Nationwide-not-on-my-side debacle (you’re thinking about doing this? We’re non-renewing you! Bwah-ha-ha, mustache twirling, etc.) that I may not recall all the details but it was easy and quick. Not, however, cheap. Although they sent me a teeny refund for some adjustment, which was a nice surprise. They did require the rental unit to be a separate property or separated from the house. Mine is attached but separate entrance and systems with connection to main house closed off, so I qualified.
Gotta run – time to pay my monthly local lodging tax and state sales tax!

Me too! Mine is due on the 20th!!!
Okay, I will talk to them, it sounds like I would qualify too.

Do they contact your present carrier?
Nationwide, not on your side, hahhahaha

Not sure – I sent the cancellation letter to Nationwide myself with glee. AND cancelled my auto with them, the only insurance they were still willing to provide.

1 Like

As a child I remember going on holiday to the seaside and staying in Bed and Breakfasts, tastes have changed but they are still around, nothing new, the only new thing is using the web.

For UK hosts who are home owners, my friend just got cover for airbnb via NFU, very friendly, and it cost her £80 extra. Worth looking at.

Please go away - you and your product flogging are NOT WELCOME!

2 Likes

@Debthecat New entrants to the insurance market are welcome and if it wasn’t posted here we’d never get the heads up. It has been left to us whether we choose to pursue the information by searching in google.

@lwcarrick thank you for respecting forum rules and not posting external links. That said why have you created so many posts about your company ? I initially thought this post was reasonable until I looked at your posting history … and swiftly changed my mind.

2 Likes

Hi @Zandra and @Debthecat, I really am very sorry for causing so much angst - I hadn’t really cottoned onto how these forums works (I actually thought they were all unrelated, hence posting in so many!) - I am just trying to reach as many as possible and make insurance as easy as possible as it is a great cause for stress and frustration!

I hope you had an enjoyable weekend and your guests had a great stay at your home.

Best wishes,
Lucy

1 Like