'Infants' option for number of guests that doesn't count towards TOTAL Number!

I guess we are not obliged to have beds for the infants ?
Guests have to take care of that themself?

I don’t have beds for infants. When guests book with infants I tell them that the baby will need to sleep with the parent(s).

We don’t the same, and can offer a bed for infant but they have to pay extra for that.

You have to clearly state that in your listing

If I recall the TOS correctly, it has to be part of your house rules in order to charge for an infant. Not just in the listing.

1 Like

Haha
thanks for the morning laugh. I agree it is crazy to not charge for one of the messiest ages. Because so many parents are going to claim their 2 year old is under the age of 2 and qualifies as infant. So we will have kids at 35 months being called infants!

Anyway, I would not be surprised if Air’s goal is to increase the age down the road
to maybe something like 5 and under stay free. It is not a good experience for the traveler to submit a booking request and then be denied because their group is bigger than the max guest count. Air could choose to allow hosts to allow kids for free, or to charge different rates based on different ages. It’s the same with pets. Hosts should not have put in a house rules section the fees for children and pets. It seems they are only allowing hosts to note in their house rules for now, as they want to make it all free in the future.

But trying to force hosts to allow more than their max will be problems, as some areas do not allow more than a certain occupancy or you are violating fire codes.

Air will reverse this BS only if enough hosts tell guests they need to cancel for violating max occupancy.

1 Like

I charge only if they want a bed. If they have own bed, I don’t charge

I dunno, I would’ve given the guy a break. Guests often don’t read. They’re dumb that way sometimes. Rather than torching the bridge with the guy by making him feel dishonest for instant booking with 9 in a place that accommodates 8 (keeping in mind that most hotels don’t charge infants)
 why not say, “hey, your party is over by the limit by 1 so I a) can’t accommodate you and request you to cancel or b) would like to honor the reservation but as a heads up, this will require an extra person fee.” Then see what he says.

1 Like

Could somebody tell me how to alter our profile to eliminate the infants for free? We have our first one today. We get very few but most of the inquiries we have had in the past have not booked when we pointed out we charge for all guests, regardless of age.

I would uncheck “suitable for infants 0-2”, it removes their ability to IB with an infant. Though I think they can still find you and inquire. Then you can personally adjust it before approving.

My understanding is per @Sarah_Warren plus it needs to be in your house rules you charge for all guests etc

I am right now an inquiry

2 free infants for a week end where I am the last one to have places (all hotels and air bnb are fully booked)
the guest message:

We are a small familly that are coming for the week end: I am new on airbnb , what is the special price for the week end for us?

Edit: Good for me, I was too expensive for them.
Edit2: Ils m ont demandé s ils pouvaient louer une seule chambre de l appartment avec acces salle de bain et cuisine pour un prix beaucoup plus faible (2 adultes, 1 enfant et 2 bébés
)

There is an AirBnB ad in Australia on tv which goes along the lines of “we booked a three bedroom house on AirBnB but all ended up sleeping in make shift tents in the living room”. It then shows 3 small children madly running around the living room with the furniture pushed back to make a space for them. You just know they are seconds away from jumping on the furniture. A hosts nightmare. I think it was in response to a Stayz ad over summer that had the tagline: “Stayz. Book the whole home.” which was implying AirBnB was only good for booking rooms in a share house. I guess in their relentless push to make billions, sorry, become the worlds biggest hotel chain, they see families on a budget as a big market and in some countries children who don’t require a bed can stay for free. In Australia the AirBnB website specifically says that means under 2 and I add they can stay for free if their parents bring their own cot but if they sleep in a bed they pay the supplement. Those mattress protectors aren’t free!

A month ago I had a couple only stay and I was sure I could hear an infant laughing downstairs. When this happens I send a text asking them if they have a baby or small child staying and how they must let me know for safety reasons, including their age. I also mention if they are over 2 they must pay the supplement. The guy said no they had no baby but thought it was hilarious as he is always telling his girlfriend she has a laugh like a small child.

1 Like

We had a couple come with an infant. I was surprised that they were able to Instant Book for three people as our maximum is two guests. I called Airbnb and spoke with a customer service representative about the fact that guests are able to Instant Book for more than the maximum number of guests the listing can accommodate. I asked her if there is a maximum number of guests than can be booked. She said that for our listing the maximum would be two adults and three infants. I told her that I don’t have any place to put three infants. She said that if we received such a booking we could have it cancelled without penalty.

I think it’s deja vu all over again

2 Likes

I am a superhost. I very much resent Airbnb’s policy re children. When children stay at my home, I get out as much of the following as appropriate: an activity desk and chair, books, soft toys, blocks and other toys, a pack and play, a high chair (needs assembly), a cart to use as a changing table, plastic plates and sippy cups, wind up musical figurines, special quilts etc. It’s a lot of work. Children make noise, makes messes, do damage. I should choose how I charge for extra guests, not Airbnb.

2 Likes

The solution to this is so easy: put in your house rules that all guests must be 18 or over. Unless you’re running a Disney resort, there is absolutely no benefit to you to invite children in, and yet it introduces TONS of additional liability. Just say no.

5 Likes

What with the firsts on your doorstep! Ridiculous