Inauguration 2017 - Washington, D.C

Maybe make up for it up by keeping your prices higher in the spring and summer?

I have been at $99 per night high season for literally YEARS. I would charge higher at Christmas and as a block and even felt guilty. I was always booked solid. Well then this year I said, heck. I am just going to raise my rates to 120 to 130 for the high season and see what happens. If it doesnt book, I will just lower it. Well not only did it book but it booked out faster than it ever had!

I also changed my rate to $135 in February and even those booked!!! Quite shocked!

At first I was feeling a bit guilty, but hey, my costs go up every year, my mortgage, light bills and insurance. Why should the place be priced the same as seven years ago when I started?

I know when June rolls around I wonā€™t be able to give it away. So I am ok with making hay while the sun shines in Hawaii and almost nowhere else. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you narrow it to 2 bedrooms and have IB on it narrows considerably, but of course, most new users to the site wonā€™t think of that.

Though I have often lately gotten bookings specifically because they want two bedrooms.

Wow! I had not heard that great news!! So glad youā€™re getting a nicer pay day!

1 Like

That great attitude is the right attitude. And it seems that the supply is greatly outstripping demand so many new ā€œhostsā€ with visions of a quick $1k are going to be disappointed. I know much of my ā€œdepressionā€ isnā€™t just for your listing itā€™s for the whole situation. Even here on the forum the tone of fear, paranoia and bigotry seems more pronounced. Kudos to you for helping the immigrant boy with the tough family situation. Iā€™m dreading the stories Iā€™m going to hear in my community if the right wingers get their way on immigration, deportations and ending the DREAMS of many.

1 Like

Hi @dcmooney,

I just meant to say that children, at least children who live middle-class (or better) lives, donā€™t have the same kind on pressures on them that adults do. I did not mean to imply that they donā€™t have things to do. But for children, Western societyā€™s expectations are only that they study (usually, go to school) and engage in activities. Which, frankly, is often a waste of time, but thatā€™s a different topic.

Anyway, it sounds like you have plenty going on, so it doesnā€™t sound unreasonable to ask your children to help out. If they can. Itā€™s a family business!

Iā€™m glad to hear that your children are doing well. Maybe home schooling works for them. I donā€™t know what I think of home schooling, but I do know that, based on first hand experience, that regular schools often fall into the category of cruel and unusual punishment. I personally regarded my own school as a prison sentence. Designed to destroy the human spirit. Or at least, mine.

1 Like

well, this is off topic! But yes, my schooling was miserable. Home schooling isnā€™t perfect, and not right for all kids. We just enrolled my son in a special public high school for immigrants. Iā€™m not really happy with how the classrooms are being managed, but he (and I, lol) are much, much happier, and he is learning something. Heā€™s VERY excited about RNA and DNA! But my daughters both thrive with home school and love to learn, so itā€™s working for them.

Yes, kids here in the US donā€™t have the same pressure as kids in, say, China, and I imagine, India. My sister works for Syracuse school of Architecture. She will walk by the lab late at night, and what students are busy sweating over their projects? Asians, including those from India. Not the Americans, thatā€™s for sure.

I do wonder about all those activities also. When they were young we took a lot of walks, and played a lot of games. I miss that so much. But the kids are passionate about what they do. And, at my local state University, the average GPA of incoming freshman is 4.2, but they also want to see a plethora of activities, and, by god, they better be leaders in those clubs, too. We donā€™t have that. My daughter just danced. But she loves it, is good at it, and has lots of performing experience which can grow a person up quick. @konacoconutz would you say what I said here about college admission is true?

Well I can only say based on my alma mater, UCLA. We, the alumni, help evaluate freshman scholarship apps, junior transfer apps and senior scholarship apps. UCLA is the most applied to public university in the country, with a record-shattering 100,000 freshman apps this year. So they can afford to be choosy. In general, they want the 4.2, and this means basically all your classes must be AP and honors (they look at your choice of classes) and more especially leadership roles. Genuine ones. For instance, some of the apps I reviewed had students who started their own non profits to serve a particular cause, and had a verifiable track record with it that they could share. Authentic community service. Not just made up ones, easy to spot. We like to see real jobs worked, even if they were just Taco Bell. Some were already involved in the university as high school students, helping in the department where they wanted to major. I always rated highly those committed to something for four plus years such as an instrument or ballet. It demonstrates commitment. But key was the essay. If they had all of the above and gave me a crap essay they got marked down. The essay is the only way we really have to get to know you personally. Did you answer the prompt, use the full word count, write creatively and originally, expressively? No spelling or grammar errors. The rubric for this originally was non existent so I suggested to the committee that they adopt a full point rubric on the essay. And thanks to me, all students applying for scholarships or transfers at UCLA now get judged very critically on their essay, which is as it should be.

By the way, I donā€™t think clubs counted all that much, and we were told to disregard NHS and deans list as meaningless.

Ok Iā€™ll stop there. :smiley:

1 Like

@dcmooney, I sent you a PM with some thoughts

1 Like

Yes, Western children rarely have jobs like you often see in India and other parts of the world.

At the public school where I worked it was not at all rare to see ā€œchildrenā€ over age 16 working jobs outside of school hours. I taught mostly upperclassmen and Iā€™d say at least a quarter of my students had jobs for at least part of the school year and/or summer break.

16 is a young adult. If itā€™s legal to have ā€˜relationsā€™ then youā€™re also fine to get a job.

By children I mean under 10. You do not see that in the west. In India you have children who unfortunately get put to work instead of going to school though Iā€™m sure itā€™s getting better.

Hi @dcmooney,

I think off topic is ok.

The high-performing Indian immigrants you see in the USA donā€™t bear much relationship to most Indians. US immigrants from Indian are a small and self-selected group, and are very motivated. Often they arrive as students. They might not have had much (or anything) in India, and they are haunted by the grim specters of the poverty and desperation they left behind. So, yes, theyā€™re hardworking people.

Indian education may be pressure-filled, but itā€™s also abysmal. Do a search for (for example) the 2009 and 2012 PISA results. After the 2012 results the Indian govt pulled out, citing unfairness.

Here is a random review I found - The Leap Blog: The first PISA results for India: The end of the beginning.

FWIW, these numbers are in line with my personal experience of Indian education. Elite schools in India are better, of course.

Indian education manages to be bad in all possible ways simultaneously. At least in the US, the kids have a reasonably good time in high school, even if they donā€™t learn much. As I learned at UNC, young Americans donā€™t like their schools being criticized (just in terms of academic performance). OTOH, Iā€™d be perfectly fine with it if people criticized my school.

Wow. So many stereotypes in one post @faheem ! The students in NC do not in any way reflect the students in the Northeast, who are no doubt different than those in in the upper Midwest. Each state seems to value education differently, and the results mean that there is no one experience for American high school students. Just as important is how much the family values the quality of their childā€™s education.

For example, in my graduating class of 392, 87 students received both perfect scores on the SATā€™s and had at least three 4ā€™s on the AP Exams.

I have lived in many states of this country, and NC was at the bottom of our list for education. In fact, that is why we left the state when our kid turned 5.

Iā€™m not sure what stereotypes you mean. If you are talking about the US, my post wasnā€™t particularly about that. And I agree that NC education on average is probably not great. But, again, I wasnā€™t really talking about US education. This was mostly about India. And Indian immigrants to the US.

A washingtonpost article about this:

Hey Everyone! Iā€™m so happy for you all to be the first (after my family) to hear that we do have a booking for the inauguration.

I ended up with 3x my nightly rate.

Thanks again for all the companionable nail-biting, advice, and encouragement.

Glad itā€™s over and we have a nice little payday.

Cheers to all - happy hosting and big bookings for everyone -

13 Likes

Interesting that they wait until ā€˜the last minuteā€™ to publish this!

Woo, great! Wow, all that worry paid off. Are they Trump supporters or protesters? No matter, you are booked!!

Now, what about refunding that lady?

1 Like

Thatā€™s great! What is the group dynamic - will they be using both bedrooms?

DCā€¦ I wonder if it was the hyphen removal?? :blush::tada:

2 Likes