Inauguration 2017 - Washington, D.C

would you filter it to 2 bedrooms, 5 people under $1,000? See what you get then? My ‘market’ is for larger groups, and I have the two bedrooms which is worth considering when price shopping.

It was odd because I did such research and came up with 45 total listings. When I checked later, though, I came up with a bit more. I was totally confused and since I’d put a bit of rum into my eggnog wasn’t in the frame of mind to try to figure out why. I was not signed in the first time, which may have done it. I found no listings under $400, and only 16 under $700.

Also, to compare, I narrow in to ‘inside the beltway’ to finding listings that are equidistant. If you just put ‘washington dc’ you could get listings as far away as Dulles Airport - which, while marked as “washington” is hardly convenient.

Good advice, zero to loose.

2 Likes

Hey There @SuiteInSeattle

I did just reconnect with Beyond Pricing to see what they would say. They gave me a price of $185 (based on base price of $105). However, searching for listings similar to mine for only 2 guests give me only 5 listings under $400.

The Wheelhouse guy said airbnb listings are jacking up their prices 743% but are not booking - and recommends raising the price 3x. At that price my listing would be $315 for two people. However, I can’t find any hotel rooms in the area less than $450, and most of those are just plain rooms with two double beds. With a few exceptions you have to go to at least $550 to get queen beds. I offer two bedrooms with queen beds. So while the $745 I’m currently asking may be to high, I can’t imagine that Wheelhouse or Beyond are correct.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought of it but didn’t follow through because Beyond Pricing and I ‘broke-up’ and it’s still a bit sad for me. :disappointed:

EDITED TO ADD - DISASTER!! I had not turned on ‘sync prices’ - I know that I had not. Yet Beyond DID sync my prices and I had a booking request for $175 a night almost immediately - which I had to decline. OK well I guess that’s not a disaster, but it surely could have been.

4 Likes

OMG and the reason she didn’t instant book is because she wanted to verify that I’m convenient to Washington DC !

For the love of hosting - this is what it says right in the opening part of my listing - all she had to do is read what my listing says - in several places - , look at the map, and for the love of white-sheets go to the metro website and look it up.

Walk 5 min to the F4 bus stop
Ride 2 miles to Prince George Station (or drive and park)
20 minute metro ride to city center.
Or - MARC train/.5 mile walk/12 minute ride to Union Station
Free Parking at house

Rant over - it’s 5 pm somewhere, right? I can pour myself a nice glass of port??

2 Likes

But actually, this is a good thing. Because she didn’t read and instant book, you noticed that the prices had been modified and could correct them, right?

1 Like

Yes, my husband just reminded me to thank God, literally - and the woman is a host - so she should know how to read a listing.

Pour your port and open it now. The near fiasco was a sign! LOL!

1 Like

The dates have been open for awhile - at a very high price. Joe says to leave it at $700 until next weekend. Though the pricing companies say about $200, and airbnb says $86 (AURGH!) my research tells me $500 at a minimum.

1 Like

I would disregard them since they don’t take into account special events like once in a lifetime inaugurations of a man child. :frowning:

Ok, I was confused! You have them open at 700 and someone tried to book at $175? I’m not following.

2 Likes

Mine is still open, link below. I hope it goes as is, but if not, will lower price later. It’s $800/night with 4-night minimum, lower prices outside the core (like $300)

Basement listing https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15902185

In my upstairs, I have the master bedroom as an AirBNB private room, a long-term tenant in another bedroom, and a third, smaller bedroom. In the small one, the tenant is leaving Dec. 1, and a new person is coming Feb 1. I’ve been intending to put up an AirBNB ad for the small room, for January. But I’m also wondering 1) if it’s a good idea and 2) how it might be possible on the platform, for january only, to give people booking the master bedroom the option to also get that second room too.
Upstairs listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15183699/

Step away from the computer…and have wine! It’s way past 5 in Europe!

The pricing companies will only ‘say’ things based on the everyday price you have put into their system. For example we have a HUGE tech conference is Barcelona at the end of Feb (majorly slow time here). Beyond Pricing only raised my rates to 400 Euros, that was too low to my liking, and jacked them to 700 Euros. We got booked last month, which means I probably should have started at 1000E, oh well will do that next year.

The pricing companies/models work so that your property is ‘one of the last to get booked’ bc people making last minute bookings are theoretically less price sensitive. I’m sure @ianmchenry can explain better.

We have been using Beyond Pricing and Everbooked for the last year, and while I was VERY skeptical of the ‘wait and see’ model, it has been great for us. We are running about 10% increase year over year, with less bookings (and no the bookings we have are not longer than last year). This is great for me, more money, less wear on my house!

I would leave it ‘high’ until the beginning of Jan!

Think there was an issue when she was testing out pricing services that something overrode her calendar and brought her prices down to what they think is acceptable.

1 Like

I think the Trump people may not be AirBnb people. I personally have blocked the days, and have friends coming in for alternative activities the day after the Inauguration. Win-win.

3 Likes

Only 30 more electors need to change their mind and trump can’t be elected. Eight have already declared they won’t vote for him because they think he is unfit. There’s a movement afoot inside the college to not elect him and pick someon like Kasich instead. It is not a done deal yet that this clown will be our president.

5 Likes

Let’s hope you’re right Kona. Hands down it would be an unmitigated disaster …

2 Likes

I see your rooms are still open. Just here to commiserate. I don’t really understand it. Very few listings are under $800 - yet no one is nibbling at my $710 for 4, almost 100 5* reviews, etc, and nothing yet. I’m going to lower the price in the morning. The hotel prices are dropping, too. You can now get a pretty nice room for $500 or so - honestly I think my price has always been higher than the market for the time. I was on travelocity and they have all these comments like '11 people booked this property today" but I think that’s just bs. I don’t know if it will change after the Electoral College meets, but even then, it’s not final until something like Jan 6. Craziness.

I used the free service and it was AWESOME!

Hi @marc20002 you asked for some input on your listing but I’m just now getting around to it.

I think I have a few suggestions that will improve this listing for not lots of money - one word: color-

I enjoy TJ Max, Marshalls, the discount stores. It can be fun. If the idea makes your skin crawl, recruit a friend who enjoys shopping. I could help you after the first of the year. I’m far from being an expert, though. Do you have a friend who’s house makes you feel cozy and welcome? Maybe they can give you some tips. Stay within your style but just branch out a bit.

For the bedroom, you may want to add one or two of the following - a new comforter, duvet, of at least a colorful throw on the blanket. Some curtains on the window. A nice print on the wall. Something that looks a little more inviting. Take the photos with more lights on.

Nice bathroom!! Perhaps fill the tub with water, lay out some colorful towels, or white, and/or two nice bathrobes. Ikea sells super cheap all white bathrobes that hold up fine. Have two glasses of red wine, or even champagne classes sitting there, maybe some pretty soaps or other thing to give the idea of luxury. You can get battery operated candles (NO FLAMMABLE ONES!) Give them the idea of this:

You can do all of that for under $100, I think, just a few touches that make it look comfy and warm.

On the patio - very nice! Tidy it up a bit - again - you want people to imagine themselves sitting there. Some pretty place mats on the table - a candle in the middle, maybe a cheese plate or something - maybe the red wine glasses - something to make people think to themselves “I want to go to there” also, “I’m welcome, I’m treasured, there is room for me to be at home there”.

Hope tha’ts not to much - you really have a great set-up. You’re going to do very well. It just needs a little spark!

1 Like

@marc20002 – Yes, color and some personal items would make a big difference. It’s also in the details, Marc. Take care in the placement of pillows on your sofa and bed. The sofa pillows look like someone just got up from laying down and left them as is. The knotted drape is not attractive, and you might want to have something showing on the TV screen so it’s not a black screen.

Pillows again. The pillows on the bed need to be placed precisely so they look aligned and neat, and if you don’t want to stick with one color, work with two of a color and two of another.

Finally, it might be a good idea to take photo of your balcony/patio from another angle so it invites guests to want to sit out there.

Good luck to you ~

1 Like