If you had a choice between staying at a hotel or an airbnb, which one would you pick?

Again, reviews are not always reflect reality.
And there are not that many superhosts out there especially if you need specific areas. Anyway Fahee, i stayed in 100s of Airbnbs and you stayed in none:joy::slight_smile:
So who had a better expertize?

Canā€™t argue with that one. But I do think that if many people are satisfied with a place, it canā€™t be bad. It might be ok/mediocre. Airbnb does seem to encourage ā€œinflatedā€ reviews, we all know that.

Possibly not. But do you need a lot? Airbnb lists around 100 Superhost listings for Bombay. Some of the hosts have multiple listings, so letā€™s say 70-80 Superhosts.

I donā€™t think itā€™s about expertise. But you certainly have the experience, and I donā€™t. But were the bad Airbnbs you stayed in highly rated? If they were, you truly have cause for complaint, and I hope you left them bad reviews.

I thought they gave a date. Mine says joined in 2010.

And really new hosts get a banner which states ā€œNew.ā€ Which is another way of saying ā€œtake advantage they want a good review at a low price point.ā€

I stayed in SF at one superhost house and the house was just terrible. It was smelly of cats, and so messy. But the lady was so incredibly sweet. She was a professor in Berkley and really personable and super sweet. All her reviews were excellent due to her personality. I just could not make myself write that she is messy. And this is how i am sure she got her superhost status.

FOr example there is not one superhost in my price range in my town. WHat if aomeone wants to stay close to Hard rock for under 50$ a night, and there is no superhosts there and no listings with perfect reviews? SO they go for what available if it fits the budget.

You sound like its my fault that there are bad hosts out there and i did not pick my stays correctly. If it was just that simple: just read reviews and book superhosts.

1 Like

AIRBNB every time. We seek out interesting. Hotels are a bit boring.

3 Likes

Are you shore? Where there is huge competition there are also Host who will play dirty. They send their friends/family/other guest with kick backs, to stay with other host that are their competition. Those guest live bad reviews and rest isā€¦
Where I am we have more Host than any other city in the State, it is outright dogie/dog business. Well boomerang has a way of eventually getting back.

I hosted an elderly woman last night who was recently introduced to airbnb by her daughter. She loves it and is planning to always look first for an airbnb, second for a hotel.

1 Like

Ok, to be more precise, the join date says when the host joined, yes, but does not tell you when his/her listings were ā€œactivatedā€, which is the important information here. For example I think I joined Airbnb sometime in 2014, but my listing went live in April 2016.

1 Like

It seems surprising that all her guests felt similarly. But, if I was a guest in someoneā€™s home, I agree Iā€™d have a hard time saying bad things about their place if they were very nice. But if there were significant problems, Iā€™d probably harden my heart and mention them.

Thatā€™s certainly a possibility, yes. But in most places, in India and outside, Iā€™ve looked there seem to be tons of hosts (in alarming numbers, actually), often with stellar reviews. But I guess it depends. And I wasnā€™t really considering cost here. To an Indian, most things look expensive.

Sidebar: who would have thought there would be so many people willing to let strangers into their homes, often for quite modest sums of money?

Yana, I think you are taking my comments way too personally. My original comments did not mention you in any way, and nothing Iā€™ve said here is specifically directed at you. Regardless, if you feel offended by what Iā€™ve said, I apologise.

Well Iā€™ve never been a guest so my dates only apply to my listing.

Your join date just refers to when you joined the site, I think. It doesnā€™t relate to any kind of activity, either as host or guest.

12 posts were split to a new topic: Designing a space thatā€™s handicapped/disabled accessible

Not that i am offended, but you do sound like its ma fault though:slight_smile::slight_smile:

I havenā€™t read anything on this thread at all so far (yet), but Iā€™ll sayā€¦it all depends.

It depends if there is a hotel OR airbnb where I want to stay.
It depends on whether or not there is a host there I think I can easily communicate with.
It depends how easily I can get into the space once I arrive.
It depends what is asked of me upon departure.
It justā€¦depends.

On a personal level, I am either feeling it in some places or Iā€™m not. But since we started hostingā€“yes, weā€™ve been airbnb first, hotels second. And itā€™s always worked out very well, so weā€™ll stick with it until we have an experience that warrants otherwise.

1 Like