I left my first bad guest review

The bad review has exploded with her response denying everything she has done. She left us a good review, ending with a request to be able to book again. I responded that never would I have her and her husband in our home again. What is the point of giving a bad review if the guest can twist the story around to make it seem like it was my fault that I had issues with her visit. We’ve been at this for a few months How do I get this review removed. I’m

1 Like

Airbnb generally don’t remove reviews I’m afraid

1 Like

What happened? Why did you give her a negative review?

These two guests had company-2 adults and a child that stayed at another Airbnb. They showed up in the am, had meals(not on my dime) in the apt, walking the property enjoying the acreage and ponds and paddle boat, fed the fish(my fish food) came into my space wanting to use my phone without knocking! They were unpaid guests as far as I was concerned, in all ways except overnight. Whenever I went outside the child was with me, expecting me to be her playmate, her parents were in the apartment. I would go into the house sending her up the stairs to escape & go out the other door. Four adults “preaching” the word of God. (they even left a written sermon) I did not have a moment of peace. I went into the house to do laundry. When I came out 20 minutes later I saw the two women coming around the corner of the house, by my private entrance, each holding two grocery bags full of produce that they helped themselves to from my garden. I was livid! I didn’t dare speak. 6 hours 6 open windows to get rid of the perfume smell. (FYI-Finally used a fan with a washcloth soaked in vinegar to get rid of the overpowering stench)

I’ve read somewhere on here that a review can be removed. I’d dearly wish for this one to disappear.

What do your house rules say about access and produce?

Oh my goodness, that’s horrible! I would have left a scathing review too, and no wonder they left you a good one! You should have said something to them while they were there, but hindsight is 20/20. As much as this review is causing you a headache, it is beneficial for their future hosts. Is there issue on your page/reviews? Because who cares if there’s back and forth on theirs. Can you block them from contacting you?

Right. I don’t understand why you want the review to be removed. The guests got what they deserved. They did not respect your space or you. Let them contact you all they want. Just ignore them. If it becomes a major headache just contact Air and let them know you are being harassed by a former guest for whom you left a negative review.

2 Likes

Sound like a nightmare an I hope this helps you see the benefit of addressing negative guest behaviour, while they are staying, through the messaging system. Even if you spoke to them in person, follow up on the message ‘as discussed little miss 5 is just adorable but I need you to ensure you abide by the agreement that you supervise her at all times. I can’t be responsible for a child around my home when I’m using tools and my housework that might be dangerous for little miss 5; as agree you are not to take produce or have guests without my prior consent; as discussed, I respect your religious freedom and faith and ask you to respect mine by not conducting religious activities in my presence or leaving religious material for me. I have my own faith and these matters are private.’ Etc etc

You can get their responses removed if you can prove they have said something false. However, I would not respond at all, it makes them look childish for doing so.

1 Like

Also, definitely put in a house rule that says unregistered guests not allowed on property. It’s a CYA in case anyone ever does invite guests without checking with you first and they break something, cause trouble, etc. You don’t want to be liable for something you are shouldn’t be responsible for.

2 Likes

Produce nothing in the house rules I would assume that a person’s vegetable garden is off limits. As far as the extra guests go I didn’t think that they would be there for the whole day for two of the days of their visit. They technically were not staying here.

The response I made was to her review. It was within the time frame (that I didn’t know about at the time) I responded directly telling her how she disappointed me with stealing my garden produce and the extra day time guests, I had just spent so much time and effort trying to get rid of the smell for the next guests. That response is on my review list as well as her lying diatribe excusing her boorish behavior

Haha, if she left a glowing review I would have left it alone! You can ask Air to remove your comment, but now you know, don’t comment on the reviews! When you comment on the reviews it makes them stand out. And I now know something new, guests can comment on the comments! But the looking bad is mostly on her. Take it all as a lesson learned and just ignore her.

2 Likes

How do I contact Air to ask to get the comment removed. I’ve sent an email to the address but no response. It’s very frustrating dealing with them. I have taken it as a lesson learned. I’m also thinking of closing this page and starting from scratch but I don’t know how that will work.
She actually said she had never gotten a bad review. Which technically was true as there weren’t any reviews on her so I took a chance. Mostly it’s how long it took and all the effort to clean and air out the place after she left. I’m grateful that the guests following her were late. As for the garden produce and the quantity well… sometimes people take advantage as much as they can. It’s not something I would or could do myself. I wouldn’t even think of it.

Search on this forum for Air contact numbers. Calling directly is your best bet, but I doubt they’ll remove it. You could also try listing on other sites and have them be your main booking platform. But after a few more stays it will be pushed down and forgotten.

And you need to make access to your produce clear, many guests assume that if they have rented from you, that they can access / use all areas. If you don’t say no to start with then it is an assumed yes!

1 Like

I’m a fairly new host, started last July. But made super host and maintained since, not sure it’s that big of a deal though. Prior to this, I have run an online business (ongoing) for the past 17 years and maintained a 100% positive feedback rating, almost impossible, so ratings do mean a lot to me.

When I first received a less than stellar review from one guest, I was pretty shaken. She gave me a review that complimented me and also slammed several things. I fumed about it for a couple of days, then a few weeks…it was making me crazy. The part that really irked me was that she said I’m not close to the manatees (which are a big attraction in my area). I couldn’t be much closer unless I put one in my pool, which is right outside the door. This was patently false, and I felt I should probably try to object to this as it did seem to effect my bookings for some time. However, I thought about it a lot and decided to let it stand – and after reading a lot here, it seems I couldn’t have done much about it anyway, even if it’s not true. I decided the review shows more about her than it does about my listing, as she did nitpick about just everything, but left all 5 stars. Didn’t make much sense. Reviews are so subjective and really need to be taken with a grain of salt. Don’t let them get to you or what you do. But do make them effect what you do in the future.

Waving to all…Hi…I’m Rose…

2 Likes

At least that in some ways works in your favor. I’ve had several glowing written reviews and then they leave 4 stars, one of them 3! Or I’ll have 5 stars in all the categories but a 4 overall. You’re lucky, lol.

But yeah, I’ve worked hard all my life and this Air hosting thing is perfect for me. But then I get a weird bad review from a crab or an inconsistent review based on what I offer and it leaves me hurt and confused. How on earth can you rate me a 3 or 4 on value when I’m cheaper, nicer and cleaner than the other listings you didn’t chose? I don’t get the value and location ones very much, because obviously you chose my location and you perceived a better value in my listing than the other places you didn’t choose. But it’s there for the lousy places I guess.

2 Likes

Long time members/readers are fed up of me saying this, I think, but it’s really not worth getting stressed about - it’s a waste of energy that you could be using in more positive ways.

1 Like

I do truly think the star rating system on Air is misunderstood by guests doing the rating. I mean I’ve stayed at 5 star hotels in Dubai and appreciate Forbes 5 star ratings, but this is not that. I have never stayed as a guest at a Air listing, tried 3 times and was turned down. This was when my place was completely booked, then I read that many hosts don’t like to rent super hosts…odd, I thought. I do think there needs to be a more comprehensive explanation to guests when they are doing the rating. This does come up in other ways when you rate online transactions – as in – are you sure? Do you understand what this rating means, etc. It’s a quirk that needs to be worked out before they hurt too many good hosts, imho.

1 Like